Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

i recently had the bright idea to buy an old, beat up 02 CC LB 4x4. Done a whole bunch to it. I have other threads about it all, but she is back on the road and driving great.

EXCEPT

I’m getting fumes in the cabin. It’s possible that it’s an exhaust leak on the drivers side—I replaced much of the rest of the exhaust (custom cat back and right side manifold).

But I don’t think it necessarily is exhaust. i sprayed cans of PB Blaster on right side exhaust manifold when I was working on it, and I also started the truck up with the radiator still off (to check the timing), but with new trans fluid in—squirted that stuff everywhere.

When I brake or come to a stop, I can smell that fresh trans fluid, and the burning PB blaster. Obviously, air from my engine bay is getting into the cabin. It stings the nostrils. Not a huge deal on highway drives, but city driving is miserable unless I keep the windows down.

Can someone help me identify possible areas of ingress? Possible to address or am I fighting a losing battle?

thanks. Been through a lot with this truck. Spent more than I care to admit and I don’t wanna get rid of it. But I’m not gonna suck in fumes either. Gonna give the undercarriage a good bath this weekend, which might help some, but obviously that ain’t gonna fix the issue.

are there other areas for ingress besides the firewall? I should add that it fills the truck when I park it—I’ll come back after the truck has been sitting for an hour, open the door, and the fumes hit me like a wave.

It’s not a crazy amount, but it’s not great.

any advice?

thanks all

·
Registered
538 Posts
Aside from the obvious rusted holes in the floorboards, you might check the door gaskets. Shut a dollar bill (paper) in door and see if its easy to pull back out. Then might check the exhaust cab vent that is usually located between cab and bed to see if it is stuck open. Good luck. I had a '85 5.0 mustang with bad rear main that dripped oil onto exhaust cross pipe every time you stopped. Looked like Cheech and Chong's car at stop lights. Lol.

·
Premium Member
5,338 Posts
Look into the back of both front wheel wells for rusted out hole(s) that are near the driver's/passenger's foot area. Very evident of you're also getting water under the mats/carpet.

As a troubleshoot and like mxtreme30 mentioned about the ventilation vent b/tw the cab/bed, try recirculate mode on your HVAC controls as that should shut that vent.

·
Registered
774 Posts
My Subaru has a very minor oil leak but it drips right onto the exhaust manifold. The smoke gets in through the hvac intake at the cowl, Stinks up the whole cabin sometimes.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
some good suggestions, thanks everyone! I was thinking about recarpeting the floor, but thought against it because what’s the point if I’m gonna get rid of it bc of the fumes.
But seems like a good way to inspect for holes. The truck definitely has some rust, so I wouldn’t be shocked.

happens when I’m in either mode of ac — recirculating or outside intake. Didn’t know about the exhaust vent, will look for that.

·
Registered
549 Posts
You might have a cracked manifold or bad manifold gasket. I can't imagine that trans fluid from a prior leak is still causing the fumes. Exhaust that leaks and doesn't pass through the cats has a very different odor than exhaust coming out the tail pipe... strong, sharp, pungent 1960's style odor.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You might have a cracked manifold or bad manifold gasket. I can't imagine that trans fluid from a prior leak is still causing the fumes. Exhaust that leaks and doesn't pass through the cats has a very different odor than exhaust coming out the tail pipe... strong, sharp, pungent 1960's style odor.
it’s possible. The drivers side is hard to see without pulling stuff off to check. Will have to look more closely. The passenger side manifold was cracked, and I replaced it.

but keep in mind that this is all within the first 200 miles. When I first started it up, there was so much Blaster on the passenger side manifold that it was smoking through the hood.

also, it was no transmission leak—i spewed about a gallon of fresh tranny fluid straight out of the cooler lines. It splashed everywhere. And those two smells are what I’m smelling.

·
Premium Member
5,338 Posts
Seem to recall some past complaints of a small trans fluid leak near the shifter that would emanate into the cab. Worth a look later if you're getting nowhere.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts