Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done some reading and all I can come up with is performance gains....
are there any fuel mileage gains with this?
Im looking to increase my MPG...
Thanks

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
If you're talking octane, there have been several threads on this (some becoming rather "heated" at times).

Personally, I think that if you're running under ideal conditions (vehicle is perfectly tuned, weather is good, etc.) then you'd likely see no difference by running a higher octane than what is recommended in your owner's manual. In the "real world", I think there will be some gain (power and MPG) using a higher octane because conditions are seldom ideal. I have seen higher MPG from running 93 octane versus 87 octane in my 4-cyl. Now, when fuel was less than $2.00/gal and there was only a $0.20 difference between 87 and 93, I don't think the extra MPG paid for itself. When gas got above $3/gal and there was still only a $0.20 difference, it may have started to pay for itself. But, it didn't take stations long in my area to start charging $0.40 or more extra per gallon for the 93 octane, so, we're probably back to it no longer being cost effective. If you want bang for your buck, you're probably best off sticking with the recommended octane. If you want higher MPG no matter the cost, I'd give a higher octane a chance.

·
Banned
6,781 Posts
very well said

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i may or may not be talking about octane..... while i completely agree with your thoughts on octane.... i am more or less trying to figure out whether the tuning of the chip will help/hinder gas mileage.....

at the same respect i realize that tuning it to the specific octane makes a difference as well....

i guess the question is which octane and which setting allows for best gas mileage... then your argument comes in to play. But does the increase in HP and TQ decrease your gas mileage?
:crikey:

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
The answer is yes, it will help and hinder to tune your truck. In theory more power, less work, more mpg.....or something like that. The truth is that nothing you do will turn these trucks into an economy car. Superchip guys can chime in on their results, which should be similar. I have a Hypertech which with the 87 octane tune and the WOT factory restriction on and driving somewhat conservatively, I can get up to 40 miles per tank extra or about 2mpg gain. Now with the 93 performance tune its a different story.......it's hard to keep off the throttle so I can't get any gains (maybe a little) Theoretically there should be more gains with the power, but the fun factor trumps driving for mpg gains......but maybe you'll be better at it than I am.

Its worth the money, but results will vary depending on how you drive. If you can handle it, you can get some mpg gains, if not your sure to have fun.

Hypertech = DEFINITELY APPROVE

·
Registered
770 Posts
I have not seen any gain or loss running the 93 octane tune. I saw a significant drop in gas mileage and power running the gas saver tune.

·
Super Moderator
12,702 Posts
Superchips Cortex here, also a dual in/dual out Flowmaster custom exhaust and a Volant CAI.
I'm running the 91 performance tune and run 91,92 or 93 octane depending on where I fuel up.
If I can stay out of the skinny pedal I get usually 1.5-2 MPH better with my set-up on all around driving.
I average 19.x MPG all around driving, probably 80% city 20% highway.
I don't speed in the city but the highway is a different story, usually only 5-10 over but sometimes as situations dictate a little faster than that.

The best I ever did was 24.x MPG on a 40 something mile trip averaging approx. 54 MPH.

As someone said if mileage is an issue you bought the wrong vehicle, sorry to say.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
You could probably get just as good of an increase if you babied the truck, don't go over 2000 rpms, keep the cruise at 60, slowly accelerate, etc. These were never meant to be hyper-miled. And unleashing more horsepower and torque can can certainly provide opportunity for making the engine more efficient, and therefore get better mpg, but as a previous poster said, he can maybe squeak out an extra 2mpg, or 40 miles per tank. So at today's gas prices of around $2.50, he might be saving around 5 bucks a tank, if done consistently. At a price of around $375 for a tuner, it will take you over 60 tanks of gas to break even. Ask yourself honestly if you had an extra 25hp and 25ft lbs of trq if you could really keep your foot out of it and keep from blowing ricey civics away at a stop light.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Understood that these are not gas sippers... not concerned about that.... was never intending to buy a gas sipper and i by NO mean expect this truck to be getting mileage seen in a car... just trying to play out options to help myself out a little.... I just bought the cortex and I am going to be driving 1700 miles this weekend (from ft lauderdale FL to asheville NC) going to see what i can do with this thing with the different settings it has...

I was really looking for input on what people have found with their tuners as far as getting mileage out of them... I do realize the purpose is more for performace rather than saving a few $ of gasoline

If i was hugely concerned than i wouldnt have lifted it 2 inches and put 285/75/17 dune grapplers on the truck.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Honestly, if your going that far, you'll get better mpg just for being on the highway at a steady speed. I didn't see anything about a lift and bigger tires before, but my tires are only 1/2" taller and wider and I still got an improvement in mpg. If you try to, you might be able to get back the little you lost with the bigger tires, if not, you'll still have a better overall driving experience. Enjoy the tuner, they're lots of fun, and have a good trip.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts