Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have noticed a lot of you using those fuel tracking apps and some of those come with the ability to add a forum signature image with a summary of your mpg and such. I did some looking around and while there are a few of them available, none of them seem to encompass everything I want them to do. So, naturally, being a web developer, I am going to do the only logical thing, and reinvent the already working wheel. I am already adding little things like the ability to change the image, layout and information on the forum signature image, and the "app" part of it (just the mobile web page, really, not going to go through the effort of making an actual app) gives all sorts of information, multiple vehicles, average mpg, best and worst, average and total spent on gas per vehicle, most and least spent, all the basic information...so, my question:

To those of you that use these apps, trackers, images etc...what do you like about them? What do you wish they could do? What do you think is more of a pain than anything? I would really like to make this as effective as possible and some insight from those of you that use them and know what is a waste of time and what would be a nice touch...would really help. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
11,274 Posts
I use Fuelly - Track and Compare your MPG just to track mileage and totals for my accountant for taxes and that's it, don't need to share anything or reinvent the wheel as they say. Actually getting tired of the too much information age.

Clint

·
Registered
241 Posts
Graidian,

While -- as a software guy myself -- I do appreciate the initiative, like Clint, I use fuelly.com to track everything. It would be difficult to compete with that because of all the little features you'd have to recreate, like the "update via text message" option that I use every time I fill up.

I simply text {miles} {price} {gallons} -- i.e. 300.0 2.229 15.0 to the number they gave me and it instantly replies with my mileage along with my average MPG.

That's all I need. The signature stuff is kinda cool, until you realize that you're getting about 1/2 the MPG you used to get when you owned a 4-banger sedan. Then it gets kinda depressing, kind of like bragging that you drive a Geo Metro... :)

Just a thought,

Wayne

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts
I also use fuelly. I have an old phone so I text the MPG (miles/price per gal/gallons) to them & it texts me back. I expect I'm a small percentage of users & in the near future I'll be forced into a smartphone anyway. As to what it needs but doesn't offer.... :shrug: it does what I need, which is track so I don't have to have a notebook full of fillups.

OK, I did think of one thing... if I could define periods to average out, like since I changed tire sizes, or tire tread, or engine mod... just the ability to define Other than last few or lifetime as fuelly currently does. Currently I just reset my BDGT when I make a change.

·
Premium Member
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know fuelly and at least some of its features, and while I appreciate the concerns, telling me not to code something once I've got it in my head is like telling a crack addict to just use sugar, is already there, especially when I'm already halfway through coding :lol:

I'm not looking to change what anyone else uses, and doubt I'll open it up for public use, I'm just looking to make something that does exactly what I want it to do, and nothing I don't so that myself, my wife, and maybe a couple family/friends can get something out of it. I'm really only asking because I'm not sure if there's features that I haven't thought of that I'd like, so I thought I'd reach out and see if anyone had anything like mtyler11 where they thought, "damn, if only I could..."

Which, by the way, I appreciate, because yes, that would be a handy feature...

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you are on iOS check out Road Trip, I switched it from GasCubby after Fuelly bought GasCubby and took YEARS to update I jumped ship, so far been pretty happy with it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts