Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

New to posting but have used the forum as a research point many times in the past. I own a 01 Frontier with the 2.4L engine. So my gas tank rusted out on me and I could not find an aftermarket 15.5 gal tank at all and the factory tank was ungodly expensive. So I found a deal for a factory 6 CYL tank(19.5 gal) and bought it and it bolted right in. My problem is that my sending unit only draws down to the 15.5 gal level leaving 4 gallons unused in the tank other then that everything works as it should. I was wondering if anyone has done this before and knows if the 6CYL sending unit will interface with my 4CYL dash board/ existing wiring. Just wanna know if it is possible/ the procedure to do so before I drop the $$$ to buy a new sending unit. From what I have seen no one has really posted any threads about doing this conversion so I apologize if there is already info on here about this but I guess I just couldn't find it. Thank in advance everybody.

·
Super Moderator
3,691 Posts
In theory, the V6 sender should work. Both work similar in that they are variable, 12v resistance sensors. However, doesn't the I4 pump sit in a hanger with the sender and the V6 pump mount to the bottom of the tank? I'm also not sure if the harness connectors and wiring are the same? You would be best off doing a little more research before dropping the tank. Download a copy of the factory service manual and compare the connector types and wiring between the two. Nico club's site has manuals at their site.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Good question guess you could check with Courtesy see what parts #'s are 4 the pumps for each of them then see if pig tail connector is same to start. Find it weird that they would change the tank because of engine know my old 6cyl Camry had same pump n tank as the 4cyl. Anything to charge more $$$ I guess

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the heads up on those manuals i havent been abke to find those before. Ill dig through those and let you guys know what i find out. Now what do you mean about courtesy numbers im not familiar with what that is. If things seem like they will be compatible i will post up some photos and such.

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts
Thanks for the heads up on those manuals i havent been abke to find those before. Ill dig through those and let you guys know what i find out. Now what do you mean about courtesy numbers im not familiar with what that is. If things seem like they will be compatible i will post up some photos and such.
Courtesy Nissan parts folks. They have a web store. There's a number of them that sell parts at below MSRP. Cherry hill is another, you can search google for nissan parts and you'll find a bunch. Often your local dealer will also give you a deal (provided its the parts guy and not the manager... be sure to know what time the parts guy goes to lunch and DON'T visit at that time) My local Team Nissan is pretty good, I usually get a case of Matic S (12 bottles/quarts) for under $100. I got new fender liners for wholesale + 5% ... but the manager is an ***... I was looking for something, printed the page from a competitor and he wouldn't go below MSRP, wouldn't even match Team's own web price... Following month I was there for something else and mentioned it to Tommy (parts guy) and he said yea, mgr is like that...

Parts counter wants to make profit too, and anything that they get on volume (atf) or stuff that was ordered and not used (fender liners) they'll sell it to you for a deal lust to move stock...

·
Super Moderator
3,691 Posts
NissanPartsDeal.com is another one. I like their part diagrams better than Courtesy Nissan's.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Good question guess you could check with Courtesy see what parts #'s are 4 the pumps for each of them then see if pig tail connector is same to start. Find it weird that they would change the tank because of engine know my old 6cyl Camry had same pump n tank as the 4cyl. Anything to charge more $$$ I guess

It's not all that weird and has nothing to do with charging more money. No sense in adding unnecessary extra fuel weight to the 4 cyl if it makes an acceptable fuel range on 15 gallons. Almost all manufacturers do it.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Hertz thank you that was helpful and IDK what you had ? or what car you were driving to come up with that so this goes for stick auto also because I can squeeze more mpg out of it they will make my tank smaller heck it only adds 30lbs to me all it would do is let the more economical smaller engine go further between fill-ups given it was the same model.
Now I was just trying to help the op and I personally haven't come across it but I can see it go both ways now I have seen different filters spark plugs or rotor/brake size depending on a engine it has but I've personally had the same pumps and same tanks and there was a lot more that was interchangeable cause I have kept my cars for 200k+. Just doesn't make sense to me and I'm guessing the manufacturers also for the most part except your vehicles to install a different tank or pump in the same make model configuration just because the different engine. Examples in my GM's 87 Formula an 92 RS my Toyota's 93,00' Camry's both 3.0l 6(yes they were different between the almost 8yr production span because of body change I checked but I was still able to use the oil/air filters brake pads plugs and such) and my Ford 95 F150 a friend in that instance had 4x4 8cyl auto I had the 2wd 6 stick all had the same also his was a 92 I know because the tanks had rusted out and pumps almost went out almost together.

Good luck to the op I think the only way is try it if the tank is different given its the same year and your able to find out the connectors hook up I don't see it drawing differently as in volume to injector rail it should have a regulator in place anyway. OP is there a way to change pickup tube and make it longer or change it to the other one?

I would try it think worse case it doesn't work you can sell it on eBay for what you can get and be out some $ and live with the unused 1/4 tank at fill up then.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just wanted to fill everyone in on how this all panned out. So I ended up getting the 6 CYL tank from a Nissan dealer brand new and it fit into the stock mounts which was great and also the orginal sending unit from the 4CYL tank bolted right in. The down side this however was that I have no way of getting all the fuel out of the tank as the tank is the same dimensions width wise but is significantly deeper than the 4 CYL tank. I was initially worried that this would make my fuel gauge entirely useless but fortunatley this was not the case and I get the same mileage I would have had I installed the more expensive 4 CYL tank so I just drive it as I would have before. It seems, at least to me, that it would require a significant amount of head scratching in order to put the 6CYL sending unit into the 4CYL wiring harness as the units are quite different in all the images I could find of them so for now I will just be happy that I have a usable gas tank and also that I will never ever have the chance of pulling sediment off of the bottom of the tank as there is always going to be about 3.5 GALS of fuel as a buffer. The long and short of this is is that if anyone needs to do this swap a 6CYL fuel tank for a 2001 model range frontier will most definitely fit into a 4CYL model with the same performance as before and at a significant cost savings, but unless anyone knows otherwise, which if you do please post because I would love to know, you will not easily be able to install a 6 CYL sending unit to fully reap the benefits of the increased fuel tank size.

·
Registered
337 Posts
If I'm understanding your problem correctly, the 4 cyl. fuel pump sending units fuel pickup does not go far enough into the tank to get the last few gallons. Would it be possible to extend the pickup portion so you could get all of the fuel. From pictures on rockauto it looks possible, but I could be misunderstanding the problem. I also have not personal worked on mine, just talking theory.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Considered doing that but my issue would be that my fuel gauge would be inaccurate as a result due to the fact that it would only read down to the original fuel level of the old tank which would really bother my OCD so thats off the table for now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts