Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have had a leak in the top of my fuel tank on my 2001 nissan frontier sc 4x4 for a while. While I was replacing the fuel filter I noticed how my rust was in it so I decided it was time for a new tank. I live in a remote area and started looking for a tank, I found one 6hrs away, but my wife was going to be there to visit family so it worked out. The used parts guy told me he had one from a 2003 xterra and that it is the same. They are not the same! So now I have my rotten tank out and don't want to put it back in. There are 5 hoses coming into mine that go to random valves inside the tank. The xterra tank only has 3 hoses one of them goes to the fill valve I think. Not sure what the other things inside my tank are and how to bypass it. Has anyone see:serious:n this before.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'd be interested to see a photo of where the issue is. I'm considering a 2003 and will probably have the same issue. I know my 1998 did. Is it right where that little stem comes out from the tank?

·
Super Moderator
3,188 Posts
Have you check to see if your Frontier has any open recalls? Nissan had a voluntary recall campaign on 99-03 Frontiers and 00-03 Xterras for the fuel sending unit. The recall is still in affect as I had my 2003 done last year. If the sending unit flange area is too rusted, the recall calls for replacement of the fuel tank. This would all be covered at no cost under the recall. If you want more details, refer Nissan TSB# NTB04-062c:

2001 Nissan Frontier Service Recalls/Campaigns - Nissanhelp.com

You can check for open recalls at Nissan's site:

https://www.nissanusa.com/recalls-vin/#/#/Home

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had to head out of town for work so unable to get pics loaded. Thanks for the info on the recalls somehow my trucks vin does not qualify for the recall so no luck there. The wreckers that had this fuel tank are working on trying to find the correct one.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
3,188 Posts
I think they got the year wrong on the Xterra tank. If you look at page 12 of the TSB for the fuel tank recall, they show the pictures for the 3-port and 5-port fuel tanks. The 3-port fuel tanks were on 99-00 Frontiers and Xterras and 5-port tanks were used on 00-03 Frontiers and Xterras. He was right in that a 2003 Xterra should work on your Frontier, but it sounds like he got a tank from a 2000 Xterra.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts