Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Fuel Spitting back through the filler neck

24K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  idlafie 
#1 ·
So I recently had my fuel tank replaced. I can tell they must have replaced the filler neck as well because at the fill point they screwed 3 new shiny screws into my truck to hold it up... yay... so I received my truck back (after 4 months of waiting to get it back... for a fuel tank and fuel sending unit) and I go fuel it up and 5 seconds into it the fuel literally shoots out of the fuel point. not just dribbles, it shoot a good 2 feet out as well as went all over the side of my truck. I tried this a few time at varying speeds and even at a very slow fill the fuel would eventually spit out and then stop the pump. I tried 3 pumps as well.
I brought it back to the dealer and they looked at it, they had a camera in the tank and everything. I had them look at the fuel tank vents to make sure air was getting out. they couldn't find anything. they told me to keep trying a few more times and if it still doesn't work bring it back in.
so I can fill my tank but it takes about 10 minutes and lots of fuel spilling.

My question to yall is why is this happening?

At first I thought the filler neck might have been kinked making it harder for fuel to get in. then I thought maybe a air vent was clogged making it hard for air to escape. I'm really clueless to why this is happening if they say absolutely nothing is clogged or twisted.

See less See more
#3 ·
Agree ^

If they say they see nothing wrong, have them fill it up.

Sorry, I don't have an answer to your question.

#4 ·
I'm just seeing if anyone knows. I already have an appointment for them to look at it more in depth. I just cant afford to lose my truck for another 4 months. I just want an easy in and out. Maybe someone has had this issue and knows the problem so I can tell them. From what I've read up on is nissan dealerships are crap, and being in Germany I have a language berrir aswell.

#5 ·
Just had my tank replaced, sorry but I have had no problem. Take the service manager with you to fill up the tank, and then let him tell you that nothing is wrong.

Reactions: Haystack1234
#9 ·
I looked into the service manual, and there are two hoses coming up from the fuel tank to the filler tube. I believe that these we're reversed on the install, so instead of the air venting out, when you fill it up it's burping fuel.

#11 ·
...and contact their equivalent to regional or corporate reps if you aren't getting satisfaction from the dealership management!

My wife was told by her local Hyundai dealer that is was safe to drive a SUV that had a hole in the fuel tank (which dumped a half tank of fuel on the ground from being filled up the night before) during the two weeks they said it would take to order the part on a Hyundai 15 year 150,000 mile NTSB warranty extension notification = WTF!?!

Called HMUSA and reported the dealer...fast forward, two months later I'm in the market for a $30 - 35K vehicle and refused to deal with that dealership or Hyundai in general for the way she was treated while I was stationed overseas!

Vehicle is now repaired with a brand new tank, filler pipe and they also did the muffler from the cat back since it was getting ready to go and she was just past the 10/100,000 warranty on her 2006 (by about3 months)...still no future Hyundai's due to the way she was treated for being a "female" who accepted their stupidity.

Good luck with your repair fix!

#12 ·
I havnt really had a problem with the dealership, other then this fuel not going into the tank. Nissan itself I've had a problem with.
This tank was a recall and for the first 2 months I didn't have a car. In the states they would have more then likely given me a rentail car free of charge. So I played the militsry game and said that becouse I Don't have a car and the fact that I'm mission essential that they are affecting the mission. I explained what could happen if I Brought that up to my leadership and we'll the next day I had a rentail car free of charge for 2 months lol

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Tapatalk

#15 ·
My tank was just replaced under a fuel sensor factory recall, I had a half a tank when I took it in. When I picked it up I asked them, if they saved/transfered, my fuel. I was told that they transferred the fuel from the old tank to the new before it was installed, because it was easier to get the fuel from the old tank. I'm willing to bet, that it's done many different ways, depending on the shop doing it.

#16 ·
I had this problem with my 05 Nismo. Turned out that Dorman 911-503 Vapor Canister Purge Valve had gone bad and was not allowing the tank to vent air to the charcoal canister.

There is an update to this valve but it cost like $100 vs $40ish for the old style part.

HTH,
Dan...

#17 ·
The newer valve has a stronger actuator which allows the valve to seal better.

#20 ·
Update... I brought it in the other day for them to double check everything. The results? I'm f*cked. The said the tank was an aftermarket upgraded tank (nt what they said they were going to put in) and the filler neck is the wrong size making it spit/burp up the fuel when to much is trying to go in. But here's the kicker, they won't replace it under the recall becouse it is a aftermarket tank. So it would cost me abut $800 to get it back to stock. Anyone else seeing the problem here? Or am I just going crazy?
So on monday I will be talking to the guy that has been helping us (he was gone the past few days) and see what he thinks or if we just misunderstood what these crazy Germans were saying. If nothing good comes then I guess it's time to get a lawyer.

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Tapatalk

#21 ·
So I recently had my fuel tank replaced. I can tell they must have replaced the filler neck as well because at the fill point they screwed 3 new shiny screws into my truck to hold it up... yay... so I received my truck back (after 4 months of waiting to get it back... for a fuel tank and fuel sending unit) and I go fuel it up and 5 seconds into it the fuel literally shoots out of the fuel point. not just dribbles, it shoot a good 2 feet out as well as went all over the side of my truck. I tried this a few time at varying speeds and even at a very slow fill the fuel would eventually spit out and then stop the pump. I tried 3 pumps as well.
I brought it back to the dealer and they looked at it, they had a camera in the tank and everything. I had them look at the fuel tank vents to make sure air was getting out. they couldn't find anything. they told me to keep trying a few more times and if it still doesn't work bring it back in.
so I can fill my tank but it takes about 10 minutes and lots of fuel spilling.

My question to yall is why is this happening?

At first I thought the filler neck might have been kinked making it harder for fuel to get in. then I thought maybe a air vent was clogged making it hard for air to escape. I'm really clueless to why this is happening if they say absolutely nothing is clogged or twisted.
I have a 2013 nissan frontier and I'm having a code 456 but mine spit up gas every time I fill it
I'm just seeing if anyone knows. I already have an appointment for them to look at it more in depth. I just cant afford to lose my truck for another 4 months. I just want an easy in and out. Maybe someone has had this issue and knows the problem so I can tell them. From what I've read up on is nissan dealerships are crap, and being in Germany I have a language berrir aswell.
I have the same problem when I fill. My tank it spit back at me

#24 ·
Check these two Nissan Technical Service Bulletins....I think they might apply to your situation...

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.