Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I fell victim to the P0463 code. Since I had to drop the tank, I replaced the whole sending unit. But I am noticing odd behaviors with the gas gauge since then.

I drove nearly 260 miles and was still registering a half tank, with the odometer telling me I had about 110 miles left before empty.

I then drove an additional 15 miles and watched the needle drop by a quarter tank.

When I filled up it took about 17 gallons, so the measurement was accurate.

Is there a re-calibration phase the new sensor has to go through, or would resetting the trucks computer solve this?

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
bump for a good question... i'm just about to change out my sensor. i got it in the mail yesterday.

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
I have to ask, how much fuel was left in the tank when you changed the sensor?

I am just thinking that the sensor needs to see its full sweep length to accurately show a reading.

Are there any codes being thrown anymore?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not sure exactly how much was in there since that was why I was replacing the sensor in the first place. The gauge was reading just above E with the old unit and shot up to a quarter tank with the new unit. Judging by the weight of the tank, there could not have been any more than 2-3 gallons. No more codes are being thrown, and the code that was there cleared itself from the dash light.

·
Registered
17,536 Posts
yea my gauge acts all funky now, that's normal as far as i know. i sent NISLO a pm back when i changed mine out (he's a nissan tech) and i'm pretty sure he said that was normal with the new sending unit because it's for a different vehicle but it "works", i was like "great" :comphead: i go off my trip a mileage for how much gas i've used anyway, especially now

·
Registered
12 Posts
Where are you guys getting your sending units? Which part # do I want?

Mine's an 05 Nismo and the stupid gauge reads dead empty after filling the tank.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Courtesy Parts. I replaced the whole sending unit thinking that if I dropped the tank and only replaced the sensor, the pump would end up going bad shortly after. The complete sending unit does not include the O ring so order that too.

Nissan Parts, NISMO and Nissan Accessories - Courtesyparts.com

This weekend it is U-joints. Man there is a bunch of stupid crap breaking on this truck way too early.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Courtesy Parts. I replaced the whole sending unit thinking that if I dropped the tank and only replaced the sensor, the pump would end up going bad shortly after. The complete sending unit does not include the O ring so order that too.

Nissan Parts, NISMO and Nissan Accessories - Courtesyparts.com

This weekend it is U-joints. Man there is a bunch of stupid crap breaking on this truck way too early.
Jeez, is the fuel pump itself known to go bad on these trucks?

It seems like (moreso than any other vehicle I've owned) that there are several dozen known weak points on this truck, and it affects everyone at some point. I'm sick of having issues, coming hear to read "yup, happens to everyone".

·
Registered
232 Posts
my fuel gauge does that. it takes 40 miles for it to drop to a half tank then holds at a half tank for nearly 100 miles then slowly declines for the rest of the tank. i can never trust the thing either, i know roughly how many miles i get to a tank so i try not to pay attention to it. maybe you just dint notice it before

·
Registered
17,536 Posts
my fuel gauge does that. it takes 40 miles for it to drop to a half tank then holds at a half tank for nearly 100 miles then slowly declines for the rest of the tank. i can never trust the thing either, i know roughly how many miles i get to a tank so i try not to pay attention to it. maybe you just dint notice it before
mine noticeably changed before and after, it behaves very differently now. having said that i go off my trip computer, not the needle

also of note: the low fuel light still comes on at 4.5 gallons like it did before, that must be a different part of the assembly

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Jeez, is the fuel pump itself known to go bad on these trucks?

It seems like (moreso than any other vehicle I've owned) that there are several dozen known weak points on this truck, and it affects everyone at some point. I'm sick of having issues, coming hear to read "yup, happens to everyone".
It was preventative. I have heard of a few pumps going bad, but it is usually just the sensor.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
My notes show that if the fuel pump, fuel tank, or fuel gauge sending unit requires service, there's a fuel pump protector Nissan recommends installing/replacing too. (NTB07-006). My sending unit failed too, but fortunately within warranty.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That cap/protector does not really look like it will do much other than protect from stuff that gets thrown up over your gas tank. I could see how bad the contacts were on the sensor inside the tank.

Has anyone heard any more explanation as to why this protector has been implemented?

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Hmmm. After having my gas gauge go wonky after a nearly-on-empty fill up and it taking 25 minutes to creep back to Full, today's fill up was fine -- the gauge is reacting normally. (The first failure several years ago set the CEL and the sending unit was replaced under warranty). We'll see how long the mysterious recovery lasts .....

·
Registered
359 Posts
my FSU quit working at 37k miles... talk about pissed lol
Mine too. It was showing signs of potential problems as early as 35K but never threw a code until 37k! I've been dealing with Nissan trying to get this taken care of for the last several months and it's been some of the worst customer service I've ever dealt with (worst was Sprint). Honestly its probably bad enough that I won't buy another Nissan.

Even their top-tier support has jerked me around. Several weeks ago some top-level guys from Nissan Consumer affairs called me and said that since the truck didn't throw the code until 37k they wouldn't cover it under the warranty. He said he would contact my local dealer and try to get me a discount on getting it replaced. He said I would get a call within 2 business days. 12 days pass by without a call back. I called back and left him a voicemail. 5 days later the dealer calls me and said, "The parts I ordered for you are in." I said, "WTF? I didn't order any parts. I'm waiting to hear back from Joe Schmoe from Nissan Consumer Affairs". They said , "If you hear from them give us a call back to setup an appointment to install the parts." They quoted me ~$220 for replacing the fuel level sensors and a seal. Another week goes by and I still heard nothing from Joe Schmoe. I got pissed and called the dealer and told him to schedule me in to replace those parts. So last thursday I took the truck in and the dealer replaced the sensor and the seal. Charged me $220 after taxes. Filled it up with gas and all seems fine now. Worse part about it is that I had a voicemail two days ago from Joe Schmoe telling me that he was still working with the dealer and that I'd hear from him again by friday. When he calls me back I'm gonna rip his ***. These guys are jokes...............

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Back in 2000, I was driving my 2000 Desert Runner to work when the gas gage started dropping. YIKES!!! I pulled over instantly searching for a puddle of gasoline and there was none . . . this is NOT a new thing for Nissan, the 1st gen Frontier had the same problem too. Service engine soon light and fuel gage. Nissan is dropping the ball on this one :censor:

·
Registered
359 Posts
Yeah, I tried to tell them that I felt strongly that this was indeed a safety issue and that I felt it should be recalled. The sevice rep said that nissan worked closely with the NHSTA to determine what needs recalled. Obviously they feel that a faulty fuel gage is not a safety issue. :(

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Today (03/03/2010) Nissan announced a recall on the FSUs, finally admitting they have a problem. My factory one was replaced under warranty and the replacement failed shortly afterward. It's still in there. Why "fix" it with another defective part I figured.

Paris-based Inergy Automotive Systems built this piece of junk. Sad that Nissan wouldn't man up to the problem until now when makers like Toyota are being ruined by unintended acceleration lawsuits and Congressional investigations.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Today (03/03/2010) Nissan announced a recall on the FSUs, finally admitting they have a problem. My factory one was replaced under warranty and the replacement failed shortly afterward. It's still in there. Why "fix" it with another defective part I figured.

Paris-based Inergy Automotive Systems built this piece of junk. Sad that Nissan wouldn't man up to the problem until now when makers like Toyota are being ruined by unintended acceleration lawsuits and Congressional investigations.
WTF? What about compensation for those of us that had to pay to have this POS fixed?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts