Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced my knock sensor and fuel pump over the weekend and had a question. I replaced the pump which had a low fuel sensor on it with a pump without the sensor but was able to swap over the wiring to the new pump/sending unit. Is anyone aware if I will have any problems? I have no lights on the dash because of it and since my fuel gauge never worked before it never went low enough on the gauge to trigger a light. Other than the sensor the two looked identical and if I don't have problems then I would suggest that anyone that wants to save a bunch of cash just swap the sensor wiring over!

·
Super Moderator
3,681 Posts
It should be okay.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Not really intending to steal this thread, but my question is related. I have a 2004 4-cylinder Frontier (98K) with the P0462 low fuel level error code, but my fuel level gauge has always worked fine in the 7 years I've had this. I have no idea if this has a dash indicator for low fuel or not, I never let the fuel level go that low. I'm too cheap to just replace the whole shebang, or to have a shop do that.

I'm in an area that does not require emissions testing, and I also have a thermostat issue code but I never get it over 1/2 up the scale so that's not worth me fixing if I'll still have the P0462 error code' that P0462 returns after clearing the codes too.

So question is: is there anything else I could do about this P0462 code to get the solid "Service Engine Soon" code off? My main concern is that if a new code shows up that I won't know about it. Last year took a 2K mile vacation in this truck knowing the code light was on, and no trouble either, thanks.

·
Super Moderator
3,681 Posts
Unless there is a harness issue causing the low fuel level code (which could be wiring or it could be an internal failure of the integrated meter assembly (a.k.a. "instrument cluster"), the only thing I know is to replace the fuel sender assembly. You should be able to turn the key "on" and see the warning lamp during the bulb check. I know there is a test for the low warning lamp. You disconnect the harness connector at the top of the sender and install an 80-ohm resistor in the warning lamp circuit and it should turn the warning lamp "on." I know... It's a pain to get to the top of the fuel tank! I'm just giving you the info for "FYI."
The coolant temp code often gets set due to a stuck open thermostat causing the coolant to not get hot enough and keeping the ECM in open loop. If your coolant gauge is staying toward the cold side, this is probably the issue. If it sits around the middle of the gauge, then I might wonder if you don't have a sensor issue but a faulty instrument cluster? It does happen a lot on these 1st gen Frontiers, unfortunately.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
I can handle the thermostat R&R if I take care of the other issues. P0128

The P0462: I assume that the fuel sender part for my 2004 4-cylinder is only available as a complete fuel pump/sender assembly, correct? I'd hate to go aftermarket if that's the case, as the Nissan factory fuel pumps seem reliable (even the original one still on my 1998 Frontier at 222K miles).

I was hoping I'd be able to unplug/re-plug the fuel sender harness to see if resistance was causing the issue, but looks like I'd have to lower the tank some or raise the bed some (which is easier, by the way?). My guess is that getting a good sender/pump unit (if getting as a unit is the only way it's offered) would run about $600 at a shop, a shame to pay since truck runs well and fuel level gauge works 100% of the time (I don't know if there's a "low fuel" warning light, I don't run it that low).

Complicating this is that there's also a P0406 EGR code stored (I had an EGR code once on my 1998 Frontier, turned out to be a corroded 2-inch rubber hose under the EGR). I checked the 2004 EGR area for rubber vacuum hose failure, found none.

So basically I need 3 repairs just so I can receive a code when such happens. So sounds like $1K just for that privilege.

Any downside for just ignoring the Service Engine Light as it is, or until it starts flashing for a bigger problem? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
3,681 Posts
On the 4-cyl. 2004 Frontier, the sending unit bolts on to the side of the fuel pump housing. You can either get just the sender OR the complete fuel pump housing assembly. The sender is about $72 and the assembly is around $342 (online, minus shipping). Here's the link:

https://www.nissanpartsdeal.com/par...(2=KA24DE)&Location=fuel-tank,172_A002,22630V

On the aftermarket, you can get just the sender, just the pump or the complete fuel pump housing assembly (around $172). Remove tank or remove bed is a matter of preference. If you have a lift and a transmission jack, I would pull the tank. If doing it on the ground and the bed isn't in bad shape, rust-wise, it would probably be easier to remove the bed.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
On the 4-cyl. 2004 Frontier, the sending unit bolts on to the side of the fuel pump housing. You can either get just the sender OR the complete fuel pump housing assembly. The sender is about $72 and the assembly is around $342 (online, minus shipping). Here's the link:

https://www.nissanpartsdeal.com/par...(2=KA24DE)&Location=fuel-tank,172_A002,22630V
That link takes me to #226300S320, FUEL TANK TEMPERATURE SENSOR, which I wasn't even aware I had. Is that involved in this Service Engine Soon code?

I think you mean #250603S510 for the sender part separately https://www.nissanpartsdeal.com/par...(2=KA24DE)&Location=fuel-tank,172_A002,25060Y

Fuel pump and sender assembly is #170405S105 https://www.nissanpartsdeal.com/par...=(2=KA24DE)&Location=fuel-tank,172_A002,17040

Thanks, I've saved the link and factory part numbers, not sure this is the time to tear into that, but would use factory parts. I think that R&R requires a few more parts and seals not included with that or the entire pump/sender assembly.

Any guesses on that P0462 EGR code????

·
Super Moderator
3,681 Posts
Yes, you're right. Sorry about the wrong link. You would need the "O" ring, as well (part code 17342). The P0462 is the fuel sender code. The EGR code, P0406, is a high voltage sensed on the EGR circuit, if I remember correctly. EGR temp sensors were usually found on CA emission vehicles. Usually it's due to an EGR valve that is sticking open (which would give it a rough idle in most cases) or the EGR temp sensor is faulty or wire is shorted.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
The idle is fine. I'll check the service manual, see if I can find where the EGR temperature sender is located, thanks.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
OK, found the EGR temperature sender. Following service manual, checked voltage at #1 terminal, was 1 to 1.3 volts, supposed to be 5 volts.

Then, I checked for resistance through the EGR temperature sender itself: infinite resistance, no continuity at all. EGR temperature sender costs $153 at O'Reilly, like $90 plus shipping from RockAuto. And it looks like a special 14mm socket with a cut-out/slot for the wire must be used. So a lot of money when I still would have the fuel tank low level sender issue (P0462) to deal with.

Figure a mechanic/shop would charge $200 for the EGR temperature sender part, and $60 to $100 labor for that. Figure $400 - $600 total for fuel tank low level sender issue....so a lot just to have the Service Engine Soon code off. I don't need emissions testing in the county I live in though, just concerned about good running truck.

·
Super Moderator
3,681 Posts
Looks like P/N 14730-7B001. NissanPartsDeal.com has it for $102 plus shipping, which will probably be around $10. I would always cut the wire off of the old sensor and use a 1/4" drive, 6-point, deep socket. If you have a disc cutter (exhaust cutter), you could use a cheap socket, put it in a vice and cut a slot into it.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Looks like P/N 14730-7B001. NissanPartsDeal.com has it for $102 plus shipping, which will probably be around $10. I would always cut the wire off of the old sensor and use a 1/4" drive, 6-point, deep socket. If you have a disc cutter (exhaust cutter), you could use a cheap socket, put it in a vice and cut a slot into it.
Do you think that the EGR temperature sensor will fix that code, with that voltage reading 1 to 1.3 volts where service manual states 5 volts?

·
Super Moderator
3,681 Posts
I've seen a few go bad, so there's a pretty good chance it will, especially if you feel confident in your testing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts