Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My father-in-law has a 2005 CC LE (4.0L) with 102,000 miles. His commute is about 200 miles per day and the only issue thus far is the gas gauge not reading. The problem is intermittent and it looks like the fix is probably the fuel level sensor, fuel filter, and fuel pump assembly. Anyone have any feedback or know how much the part costs? A non-serviceable fuel pump is a first for me, but I've read Dodge has been doing it for years. Doesn't seem like a hard job as long as the tank is near empty. Experience with this fix would be appreciated.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Fuel assembly

Seems like this hasn't been an issue for anyone else. If my father-in-law decides to tackle this project, I'll share the experience.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
wow, 102k on a 2005. I have 34k on my 2005!
I don't think there are very many (if any) people on here with that many miles on their 05+ Frontier, so you may be the first of us to experience this problem.

·
Registered
224 Posts
service bulletin: 2005-08 frontier/xterra/pathfinder fuel gauge issues

The fuel gauge is erratic,inaccurate. or inoperative

and/ or

MIL is 'ON' with DTC p0461,p0462 or p0463

action: replaced fuel sending unit

fuel level sending unit part # 25060-zs00a
Packing part # 17342-ea000

hope this help

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have the same problem. What is the fix? My dealer said part is $250 and is the fuel sending module. I take that as the complete fuel pump assembly. Those who have had this problem and fixed it please respond with what you did to get it fixed. The part numbers listed above are not exactly correct for the 2005+ models. I have them as this:
PUMP COMPL-FUEL - 17040-D40001
PLATE-LOCK,FUEL GAUGE - 17343-D40001
PACKING-FUEL GAUGE - 17342-D40001

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Anthonys_NISMO said:
Those who have had this problem and fixed it please respond with what you did to get it fixed.
My father-in-law hasn't fixed his faulty fuel gauge.

They way I understand, its all in one assembly. That makes trouble shooting simple, but drives the cost of the part up. How many miles are on your truck? If you're under warranty, obviously, take it to the dealer.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Anthonys_NISMO said:
I have the same problem. What is the fix? My dealer said part is $250 and is the fuel sending module. I take that as the complete fuel pump assembly. Those who have had this problem and fixed it please respond with what you did to get it fixed. The part numbers listed above are not exactly correct for the 2005+ models. I have them as this:
PUMP COMPL-FUEL - 17040-D40001
PLATE-LOCK,FUEL GAUGE - 17343-D40001
PACKING-FUEL GAUGE - 17342-D40001

the part i listed came from our ASIST. make sure that your part number is NISSAN...doesnt look like it

·
Registered
5,405 Posts
Not sure how the fuel pump/sender is set up on a 2005, but nissan typically has the unit in the gas tank. It is bolted in from the top.

WHen I had issues with my 95 nissan HB, fuel temp sensor, I had to access the unit. It was much easier to undo the bolts to the bed of the truck and lift the bed on its side. I simply propped up the bed with a 2x4 and then a second and thrid "back ups". Dropping the tank is a major PITA.

Also get a new o-ring. The old one gets all big and there is no way for it to sit back in the groove properly. I tried three times, including freezing the o-ring, prior to intallation. Without a good seal you will not only smell gas, but the evap system pressure check will fail and you will get a check engine light.

·
Registered
116 Posts
it is all in tank secured to the top of the tank by a lock ring if your handy with diy stuff and have some tools it is an easy repair, i would only recommend using OEM parts for this , bad luck with aftermarket pumps. dropping the tank is simple just do it slow and take your time, also if you wanted someone else to do it any independent repair shop should be able to do this for 100 bucks or less if you provide the part...

·
Registered
6 Posts
fronty2005 said:
service bulletin: 2005-08 frontier/xterra/pathfinder fuel gauge issues

The fuel gauge is erratic,inaccurate. or inoperative

and/ or

MIL is 'ON' with DTC p0461,p0462 or p0463

action: replaced fuel sending unit

fuel level sending unit part # 25060-zs00a
Packing part # 17342-ea000

hope this help
So i guess if it is only a service bulletin and im out of warranty i have to pay for it?

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Dropdown3 said:
My father-in-law has a 2005 CC LE (4.0L) with 102,000 miles. His commute is about 200 miles per day and the only issue thus far is the gas gauge not reading. The problem is intermittent and it looks like the fix is probably the fuel level sensor, fuel filter, and fuel pump assembly. Anyone have any feedback or know how much the part costs? A non-serviceable fuel pump is a first for me, but I've read Dodge has been doing it for years. Doesn't seem like a hard job as long as the tank is near empty. Experience with this fix would be appreciated.
it has been an issue for several people here in vegas me being the only one a member but i had the same problem and my dealer told me its been common with the frontier. and they didnt replace the whole assembly just a sensor.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Who carries the sensor?

So where can we order the replacement part 25060-ZS00A if we don't want to overpay at Nissan?

·
Registered
4 Posts
p0463 diy instructions

so today i finally fixed my fuel level sensor. i can pass emissions. i am so happy i did not spend crazy dealership prices to get it fixed. for $85 and a couple hours you too can fix this problem. not $400-$500 like they want you to. attached or some pics to help you out as you go along.
1. jack up driver rear side and remove tire
2. disconnect fuel and electrical lines to tank
the one electrical line will require two small screwdrivers to undo the clip
3. remove 3 bolts on the straps that hold the tank in place
4. slowly drop gas tank down ( less gas the easier to drop) me and a friend could hold it with one hand each not that bad at all
5. unclip electrical harness at top of sending unit (do not disconnect the fuel line because gas will come out. learned the hard way. lol.
6. with hammer and screwdriver remove locking ring on top
7. pull out sending unit completely from tank
8. the sensor is on the very bottom unclip 2 harness and it slides off the unit
9. replace with new fuel level sensor
fuel level sending unit part # 25060-zs00a bought online at CourtesyNissanparts.com for $85 including shipping
10. follow steps in reverse to assemble back together
and your done. and yes it really is that easy. took me about 2 hours to do and i think i spent more time drinking then working. so good luck to all and hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
535 Posts
Awesome man. Thanks for the write-up on this. The sensor on my Pathfinder started doing this a few weeks ago. I'll have to order the parts on payday and get this taken care of. Is there enough room between the frame and the tank to disconnect the connectors before you drop the tank or did you drop it and then disconnect? How much gas was in the tank when you did it? Did you reuse the o-ring or did you replace it? And finally did the code reset when you started it up or did you have the battery disconnected anyway? Thanks again.

·
Registered
8,742 Posts
darkness, create another thread, and we'll get it stickied

1 - 20 of 47 Posts