Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any threads here on do it yourself injector cleaning? I'm using Tapatalk and search did not find anything. My '05 is going on 12 years old and 110000 miles and over the years my fuel milage has decreased slowly. I've never used any fuel additives or cleaning products. I could go to the dealer but they'd probably bend me over. Anyone do this themselves? Maybe with the seafoam spray product?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I like to use BG44k.

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
A number of us have used Chevron Techron additive with success, available at any auto parts store.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I had not heard of BG44K but just read some reviews on it. Sounds like it works really well. I changed out plugs at 100k and noticed a small difference then. Any good sources for purchasing it? It's about $18 on Amazon. Does the big box stores like AutoZone sell it?

·
Super Moderator
3,188 Posts
Most of the professional fuel injection services use a standalone tank that connects directly to the fuel line, or rail. The fuel pump is disabled. The cleaner is poured into the container and it is pressured with an air line that is regulated to the same pressure and the fuel pump spec. Then, the engine is started and the engine runs solely on the injection cleaner. 3M and BG products make these systems, among others. It's a bit expensive for the DIY'er.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,065 Posts
Most of the professional fuel injection services use a standalone tank that connects directly to the fuel line, or rail. The fuel pump is disabled. The cleaner is poured into the container and it is pressured with an air line that is regulated to the same pressure and the fuel pump spec. Then, the engine is started and the engine runs solely on the injection cleaner. 3M and BG products make these systems, among others. It's a bit expensive for the DIY'er.
Interested to hear your take on this process:
Worthwhile at recommended intervals?
Is waiting for symptoms too late?

My local Nissan Service Dept charges ~$130 for this. Was told it will improve the cats' longevity...true??

Fwiw, I ran my '00 XE/Gen 1 (bought used w/ 33k in '05) to 185k w/o this process, though I did the occasional snake oil treatments (Seafoam or Starbrite). Fuel is/was typically purchased from the two local primary grocery store chains = fairly high turnover due to price discounts, imo. Perhaps I was lucky to have never had a fuel related issue?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was reading Bout BG44k and another competing product was mentioned called Liquid moly Jectron which is a German product. Supposedly it is the same strength as BG44k and cost about $10 bottle. Anyone familiar with this? And if so how does it compete with BG44k? Reviews of both products on Amazon are fantastic.

·
Registered
954 Posts
How old are your upstream O2 sensors? They slow down with age and usually die around 100k miles.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts