Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Fuel Guage Inaccuracy PC042 recall

14K views 60 replies 40 participants last post by  jski701 
#1 ·
Ok we got thr infor on the recall. This involves the 2006-2008 frontiers, xterras, & pathfinders. It does not give me a list of affected vins. We will be replacing the fuel level sender unit. Nissan will be sending out leters soon the the affected vins. If you have questions about if you vehicle falls in the recall please contact you local dealer & have you vin ready so they can run it.
No info on the titans or armadas yet.

#2 ·
It's interesting the years they list as there are many other owners with the same issue. They can cut it off at a vin# but that doesn't discount someone with an 05 or an 09 having the same condition.

Clint

#4 ·
I would of thought that the reason the 2009 Frontiers would not be included would have been they were equipped with a different fuel sender unit that did not fail prematurely. Are you stating that they continued to use the same unit as the ones being recalled? If that is the case I will carry a 5 gallon fuel can in my truck just in case. My 2008 truck was manufactured in Feb. 2008 so its not part of this recall (please correct me if I am wrong).
Thanks for the help.

#5 · (Edited)
My 07 Pathfinder had it done twice in four months. You'd think the replacement was known to be reliable but it wasn't. April will be a year after the repair and all is fine now. As long as you reset the mileage at fuel time you could sort of know when fuel is needed, a pain but you shouldn't run out on the road. I drove for a few months the first time it failed and was fine.

Clint

#8 ·
If I had a 2005 with the issue I'd become a thorn in Nissans side. If you sit and wait you'll become old and gray before they come to you.
As they say "if you don't open your mouth, you open your wallet".

Clint

#9 ·
I called Nissan and explained to them that there are lot of Frontier owners outside their recall list that have faulty fuel level sending units. The customer service operator acknowledged this but attributed those failures to normal wear and tear and not something Nissan is responsible for under the recall. I think the issue is they have to broaden the scope of criteria of what made them determine the 06 to 08 model year fuel level sending units as faulty en masse because from what I gathered from the customer service operator, it was based on location. So if the recalled units were from or assembled in Mexico, they need to look at the ones in Tennessee and Texas more closely. I encourage you to all call Nissan Canada or Nissan USA and let them know they need to start including other models years. It's in Nissan's best interest to keep the recall as small as possible so if they hear from enough of us, they may be forced to reconsider making the recall list more inclusive.

#10 ·
Other than my Pathfinder being fixed under original warranty I have never had a sending unit go bad. Wear and tear? They're kidding I hope.
I traded my 08 LE with 50,000 on the clock and it never failed but is included in th recall so how do they explain that?
Call back again and ask for supervisors up the corporate ladder.

Clint

#11 ·
So I finally got around to calling these SOB's today and they said...Yes, you are included but you will have to wait for another letter stating for you to take you truck in to get fixed and from there you can send in your receipt for your previous repairs that you did and get refunded. This could take two months. Its cool, I am glad they are fixing the problem and feel sorry for you 2005 guys that I know are having the same problem, but do they really have to drag it out for 2 or 3 months? And waste even more money? It sounds like we will be calling each other a lot and sending love notes back and forth. Really? Fix my truck for the fourth time and give me my money on a part that is not updated.

#12 ·
Got my service scheduled for one week from now, can't wait!
Haha its weird its gonna be an odd change from counting my miles...

#15 ·
I agree, I have an '05 and have already paid to have it done...at least if they included '05s I could have tried to get reimbursed...

#16 ·
YEP a huge load of crap. I have a January 2006 build truck and I know my sensor is the exact one in all of the 2005's but what do you do besides file a complaint with the NHSTA. I have never had anything come out of filing a complaint with them but it doesn't hurt and now that they have issued a recall for 06 to 08 they don't have any ground to stad on in saying that the 05 is unaffected. As for 2009 they can say the problem was fixed in late 2008.

#19 ·
Got my letter yesterday. It says 2006 and 2008 not 2006 through 2008 so the way I read that 2007 is not covered either.

What the letter claims is that the fuel tank shells were built out of spec, which cause the sending unit to skew and send an incorrect reading. The solution is a new sending unit with a modified float arm. So if you've had you sending unit replaced already you may not have recieved one with the "modified float arm"

What is interesting to me is they claim the problem is the tank not the sending unit.

BTW - I had my sending unit replaced under warrenty a couple months ago and the new one is already acting up.

#20 ·
I called Nissan today after receiving the recall letter, my 06 unit failed at 32K miles. I asked, "If I purchase the sending unit from the dealership and replace it myself is there any way I can be reimbursed for the part?" She said, "Sir, only an authorized Nissan dealership can perform the work on a recall."

I told her, my local dealerships service department is known for being less then professional. It's relatively easy to fix myself if I have the part. I want to know if there's any way of being reimbursed for just the part.

I got the same bull crap, "only the dealership" line every way I tried to explain it. I finally told her, "I know I'm not going to get anywhere with you, Bye."

I realize there are liabilities, contracts and other legal matters involved, but it'd be nice to get the part, do it myself and be reimbursed for the part. Heck, after I've proven my truck is part of the recall, they could give me the part, and have me sign a waiver.

I don't want to waste a day, spend three hours at the dealership, only to have them put a new unit on that's just going to fail again.

#22 ·
The new unit that's being installed under the recall banner is supposedly a redesign; slightly shorter or differently bent rod on the float.

#24 ·
I have an 06 and they told me that its not under the recall. They also told me that i would have to bring my truck to the dealer pay for them to dianogstic, and then they will review my claim and maybe do something for me . what BS

#26 ·
Well I got the recall letter, but I have 20K now and have never had an issue. I'm tempted to just ignore it until I do. Having worked in dealerships for 15 years, I've learned that things can be made worse if you know what I am saying. I'm playing the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" game for now.......

#27 ·
I have an '07 and have been told I will not be covered.

#28 ·
Fuel sensor issues

I have a 2006 Frontier CC. Last month the fuel gauge started to act funny. As to say that it would read empty when I just filled it up. Called Nissan because of this "recall" that I heard of, only to get someone who says that my truck is not covered in the recall. Can anyone tell me what parts I have to order to get this installed myself?:thatswck:

#29 · (Edited)
Well I ran the tank 17.94 gallons down and the low fuel light has been on for the past 20 miles. After I filled it up the gauge only read a little below half a tank. On the drive home it slowly went up to slightly above half a tank...

Anyone else with an 09 have the fuel sensor problem? Really not looking forward to messing with the dealer especially if the recall is only up to 08.

Edit: Does anyone think going to the dealer with a locking fuel cap on there would be a bad idea? I can hear it now.. Uhh you put an aftermarket cap on there, that's what the problem is.

Edit again: Just drove it a few more miles around the neighborhood and watched it slowly climb back up above the full line mark like it normally does instantly on a fill up. Took 9 miles for it to work its way up.:thatswck:

#30 ·
SES light on for fuel sending unit issue

Ok, my 05 is now due for emissions test prior to registering. I'm having the fuel sending unit issues. I filled up, took a day to register full, I disconnected the battery to reset the light. 1 did that clear the code? 2. i've seen drive 50 and seen drive 100 miles prior to emissions test. what is right? What is the difference?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.