Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched the forums for this info but came up empty.

I have a new 2010 Frontier and have no idea if my truck has, or will have, the fuel gauge issue. My question is, how reliable is the DTE empty reading as compared to the fuel guage?

If DTE reads 75 miles and fuel guage says 1/2 tank which is MORE correct? Or, are they somehow married in functionality and reporting?

I'm still on my first tank of gas but starting to get low. Everything looks correct, showing 65 DTE and +/- 1/4 tank on the guage. Looking to get a solid idea on how far a full tank will get me.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
i've gone 30 miles after the DTE changed to "0" before stopping for gas and have never run out. On the gas gauge i know that if it is BELOW the E I need to start looking for gas.

·
Registered
27 Posts
i've gone 30 miles after the DTE changed to "0" before stopping for gas and have never run out. On the gas gauge i know that if it is BELOW the E I need to start looking for gas.
I don't quite have the sack to go quite that far.

But, he's right, in that the DTE gauge is VERY conservative.

-Z

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
i think the DTE gauge bases its reading on average fuel consumption. so the DTE reading will not be consistent with the fuel gauge.

either way it will start blinking when you have a gallon left give or take....

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good info, thanks for sharing your experiences. I'll see how things go for me, I'm planning on pushing things with this first tank to see how far it gets me. If it goes wrong.....I have AAA to come bail me out!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Good info, thanks for sharing your experiences. I'll see how things go for me, I'm planning on pushing things with this first tank to see how far it gets me. If it goes wrong.....I have AAA to come bail me out!
You may want to rethink that.

I am not sure if this vehicle has an in-tank fuel pump. Many new ones do. These pumps use the gas to cool themselves.

If this is the case running them dry can kill it and they are quite expensive to replace.

Anyone know for sure.

-Z

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
IIRC, the frontier fuel pumps have always been in tank. first or second gen.

i have never heard of letting the tank go dry kill a fuel pump. it will shorten it's life span but on a brand new truck maybe doing it once wouldnt really kill it?

·
Registered
56 Posts
My '07 Nismo had exactly 1.2 gal remaining when DTE hit zero. I watched it go to the flashing lines and whipped right into a gas station and topped it off.

Also... It would take 50-75 miles to come off of 'F' after a top off in the Nismo, and my '10 PRO-4X starts moving within 20. So if that is consistent throughout the range of the gauge, I'd have a lot more than 1.2 gal left when it hits zero...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts