Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought it was time to change the fuel filter so I called the service dept. and they told me that since the filter was in the fuel tank it didn't need servicing.
Does this sound right to anyone?
Shouldn't the filter need to be changed anyway?

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
On the 2nd gen Frontier/Xterra/Pathfinder (and I think all other Nissan vehicles) the fuel filter is located in the fuel tank and is a non servicable item. Now, if your fuel pump goes, you will be changing the filter at the same time.

If you wanted, you could always add another filter down the line but it would probably be a waste.

Side Note: Why do you think you need to change it?

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
I have to agree, paper filters and media need to be changed but metal ones act more like a screen and don't break down as easily. Kinda like our transmission filter that is just a metal screen.

I only asked your symptoms since it seemed like you were trying to figure out a quick fix to a more serious issue.

As long as you don't run your tank too low (below 1/8th or more carefully 1/4th) you should be okay. It is when you run it dry that it can cause issues with sedelment pick-up.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good to know that about the sediment pickup.
My dad always used to say that the fuel would lubricate and cool the pump so not to drive around with an empty tank. Because of that I would try not to go under 1/4.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
That is especially true on our trucks. It usually seems that the people the burn out the pumps tend to run it hotter climates and sometimes run low.

So for the cooling abilities and the sedelment issues, it is agreed to always run the truck with atleast 1/4th of a tank, lol.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Not to mention preventing condensation from forming during the winter, but i never thought about the cooling thing, not a terrible idea...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts