Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a VX400 DVD player with touchscreen for sale. I installed it a few years ago in a 2009 style Frontier. I bought a new truck yesterday and put the stock system back into the truck when I traded it in. The in dash installation kit, remote control, trim pieces, and wiring harnesses are included.

https://goo.gl/photos/ypmLPqijwSEB3KuG6

The wiring harnesses are soldered and joints are covered with heat shrink. A small button is still attached to the wiring harness. Press and release the button to enable video playback, it isn't necessary to wire it to your brakes.

The DVD player supports Bluetooth functionality, including allowing phone calls, music playback, and music controls. The microphone is built into the front of the head unit and I never had any trouble with anyone understanding me. The head unit works with Android and iOS. It likely also works with Windows phones, Blackberry, or any other phone that supports Bluetooth features, but I never tested it with them.

The Frontier was a garage-kept truck, so the head unit rarely saw excessive temperatures.

Installation is simple (for the 2009 style):
1. Disconnect the battery (failure to do so may result in an airbag warning light)
2. Grab the tray above the stock radio and give it a nice, strong tug
3. Remove three screws above the stock radio
4. Grab the top of the radio trim piece and pull it forward
5. Disconnect the cables from the back of the radio, hazard light button, HVAC, and airbag indicator (did you disconnect the battery? No? You'll have an airbag warning to clear when you start the truck next time)
6. Pull the assembly out now
7. Remove about a dozen torque screws to remove the HVAC controls and the radio trim from the dash trim
8. Use the torque screws to install the trim I send you into the dash trim
9. Move the HVAC controls to the trim I send you
10. Reassemble the system working backwards from step 6

I used one of the screws from step 3 as a ground point for the radio. Had no trouble with it.

·
Registered
2012 Nissan Frontier
509 Posts
Were you able to use steering wheel controls with this?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I didn't have stock controls on my steering wheel (nor did I have aftermarket) so I can't say for certain.

According to Crutchfield, this is what you'd need (but please review and doublecheck, there's a couple of other options Crutchfield has and this was just the first): Axxess ASWC-1 Steering Wheel Control Adapter Connects your car's steering wheel audio controls to select aftermarket car stereos at Crutchfield.com

Edit: I did successfully use an adapter such as this on my wife's Subaru with a different head unit. Worked great.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts