Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I'm finally getting to the point where this truck is going to be a money trap. 2005 with 115k. Complete exhaust swap last month. Complete suspension swap this weekend. Now today I took the truck out and it started chugging and idling rough. P0301 code. Misfire on cylinder 1. Hopefully just a bad coil. Ill swap coils and see. Unfortunately its cylinder 1 which is a pain in the ***. But doable. The old girl may be getting too tired.

Any other tips for diagnosing the problem other than the coil swap. I don't want to run it much with a misfire. Hate to ruin those 1 month old cats. Plugs were replaced with factory plugs and only have 15k on them.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I swapped coil packs #1 and #4 and now the code beong thrown is p0300. I was hoping it would be p0304 so I could confirming being a faulty coil pack. The p0300 code is multiple misfires which is the code I hoped I wouldnt get. In at wits end now. Not sure where to go next. I don't think its bad gas. Im 3/4 of the way through a tank I filled up 10 days ago with no problems until today. As mentioned my exhaust is all new including 4 new cats that I installed 6-8 weeks ago. I looked for vacuum leaks but do t see anything obvious. I replaced the camshaft position sensor on the passenger side at about 15k miles ago. Those symptoms were different. The truck would just randomly die.

Crankcase sensor maybe? Its still original. Fuel injectors? I'm not sure where to begin diagnosing them.

Maybe it does have something to do with the coil. After swapping I no longer have the p0301 code. Thing its worth changing out? I don't mind spending money on it of I can fix it but hate to just throw money at guesses.

·
Registered
73 Posts
You really do not have much left other than to verify spark and if that is good, then looking at injectors or injector control circuit. If you had multiple cylinders reporting misfire, I then would be looking at a intake vacuum leak but I do not think that would be the case here.

Update:

Ehh, I wrote my last post while you were posting an update. I would be looking at intake vacuum leaks. Need a scanner though to be looking at your long term and short term fuel trims to see if it is compensating for a vacuum leak. Simple thing you can do is take a can break cleaner or even a water spray bottle and start spraying around the intake area and look for changes in the engine running patterns and isolate from there.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I used both water and starting fluid to spray around the intake manifold, maf sensor, and any other locations I could find vacuum lines and I didn't hear any noticeable differences in engine sound or rpm.

I would have thought that if the coil I swapped was good I would've continued to get a P0301 code.

Any other ideas?

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
I used both water and starting fluid to spray around the intake manifold, maf sensor, and any other locations I could find vacuum lines.
Starting fluid is incredibly explosive.

Water conducts electricity. If you get some on a sensor or ignition system part, you're gonna be chasing more trouble codes.

To check for vacuum leaks, use something like WD-40 - It's only slightly flammable, and is an electrical non-conductor.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can try WD40 but I since the others didn't work I don't suspect wd40 would either.

Im wandering now if I could've had a bad coil pack on cylinder #1 that trashed the plug. And after I moved it to cylinder #4 I'm getting the multiple misfire code becuase the cylinder #1 spark plug is misfiring in addition to the cylinder #4 coil. Does that seem possible or am I grasping at straws?

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I may have just had a breakthrough here. I swapped the plugs between the two cylinders. Ran the codes again and now I'm getting the P0304 code which is cylinder 4! May be I'm off base here but I think that is telling me that both the coil and spark plug was bad in cylinder 1.

Those plugs are OEM and only have about 15k on them. The two plugs looked compatible when I took them out. But May be it has internal damage somehow.

Ill get a new coil to see if that works. Do you recommend Nissan OEM coils or would Napa or Denso coils work from a parts store?

·
Super Moderator
11,276 Posts
I'd play it safe and buy from Nissan.

Clint

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just an FYI in case anyone else has this issue. Replacing the ignition coil with a Hitachi OEM coil and a new spark plug fixed my P0301 problem. Truck is running well now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts