Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

I've been lurking on here for a few weeks now, since I bought my 2016 Frontier. I'm having trouble figuring out what fits and doesn't fit my truck, seems to be a lot of inconsistent information out there. Specifically, I'm trying to find a decent set of projectors and smoked taillights. I'm aware of the DIY route, but I have little faith in my DIY abilities and would like to just purchase something, if it's out there.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to joining the community. I was the president of a former car club centered around the Ecotec platform (GM 4cyl) in metro Detroit back when the Cobalt first came out, and I've been a member of a forum for just about every car or truck I've owned.

-Matt

·
Registered
352 Posts
Welcome buddy! From LakeOrion, living in Colorado now. Enjoy the truck! Smoke the tail lights with night shades spray tint. Depending on how many layers is how dark it gets

·
Premium Member
7,137 Posts
Welcome!
Check local laws as some states do not allow smoked taillights.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Welcome buddy! From LakeOrion, living in Colorado now. Enjoy the truck! Smoke the tail lights with night shades spray tint. Depending on how many layers is how dark it gets
Can I still maintain clarity of the lights using niteshades? It seems that a lot of lights that people have tinted are hazy. Ideally I'd like them to end up looking like these: 05-14 Nissan Frontier OEM Style Replacement Tail Lights

Welcome!
Check local laws as some states do not allow smoked taillights.
I think Michigan requires visibility at 500 feet. I don't want to have the lights very dark, just trying to tone down the glaringly bright red against the grey truck.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I used a whole can per light on my Sentra when I was a youngster and never had an issue. Had the vehicle in multiple states and never got stopped for that (usually speeding at I had a 400+whp Sentra!). Actually got lots of compliments on it.

Only mistake I made was doing reverse lights as dark. After tinted windows backing up was miserable.

Night shades gets darker with more coats. One or 2 coats and should be plenty

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
After tinted windows backing up was miserable.
Oh man I can completely relate to that. I used to have a Ranger with two layers of 5% tint on all of the back windows. Visibility was a joke, especially at night!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Can I still maintain clarity of the lights using niteshades? It seems that a lot of lights that people have tinted are hazy. Ideally I'd like them to end up looking like these: 05-14 Nissan Frontier OEM Style Replacement Tail Lights
I did a light coat of niteshades on a WRX I had several years ago. They had the perfect smokey/ glossy look like the picture. I decided to go another coat and they still looked good, just not as glossy. Didn't seem to loose a lot of visibility with them either. I'm not much into the smoked look anymore myself (older I guess).

I know some other members here would know more than myself, but wouldn't a 2014 have the same tail light as a 2016?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I know some other members here would know more than myself, but wouldn't a 2014 have the same tail light as a 2016?
I would think so, but it seems pretty consistent across the board when looking at lights- many say they fit from '05-'14, and I've also found sets that say they fit '14-'16.

On another thread of mine, a member here says there's no difference between lights. I'm going to investigate a little further before pulling any triggers.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have noticed that a lot of parts websites only go through '14 or '15 for the Frontier. I just bought a bed cover that explicitly said on the website, "Does NOT fit your 2016 Frontier". Well... it does. That could be the reason for the discrepancy.

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
Welcome

I'm in the same situation, wanting aftermarket taillights for my '15 Frontier. Nissan made a change in design, don't know exactly what, early in 2014, so there is a cutoff point, '05 thr '14 and '14 thru current. I have yet to find anything for the newer trucks, although some of the ones listed on Ebay for the newer Navarra might fit, but most are coming from Thailand with a no returns listing. I've converted all my bulbs (Except headlights and fog lights) to LED, I've been contemplating a coat or two of Niteshades as well to tone down the brightness, but not, obscure the actual light.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've converted all my bulbs (Except headlights and fog lights) to LED, I've been contemplating a coat or two of Niteshades as well to tone down the brightness, but not, obscure the actual light.
I've been toying with the idea of converting some bulbs to LED. Do you have a thread detailing the swaps you made? There's so many options out there (some sketchy, some no brighter than OEM) and I would like to have an idea as to where to look.

·
Premium Member
7,137 Posts
Don't hold me to it, but thought I had read around here that the actual taillight bulbs being used in '14+ were a slight change in configuration? Recalling that someone had to exchange their LED bulbs for a different style to make them work correctly. Anyone corroborate?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts