Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all.

I tried replacing the fuel sending unit yesterday and my Frontier won't start now.

When turning it on, the fuel gauge shows it's empty with the gas light on. And I don't think I hear the fuel pump priming when I turn the ignition to on. (if that's the buzzing or whirling sound that happens when the Frontier is turned on)

The Frontier is still throwing the P0463 error but is now also throwing the a fuel temperature sensor error (P0130 or P0138 ) I tried clearing the errors but it kicks back in pretty quickly.

At first I was hoping that it was just a matter of an empty gas tank and tried to fill it up with two or three gallons of gas from a gas container.

But the engine just turns over but doesn't kick in.

I'm going to take down the gas tank again to make sure everything is secured and connected okay. As I was rushing towards the end.

But just wanted to check to see if anyone had tips or suggestions on what the issue might be.

If the connections are okay, I'm thinking about maybe trying to replace the entire fuel pump, which seemed like it was working okay before I tried to change out the fuel sending unit. But wanted to double check the thoughts about this before dropping $400 for a new unit when I can just use that money to get the Frontier towed.

The other issue is that I was having issues in removing the fuel line at the top of the tank because didn't know how the clip worked at first. So the tank was all the way to the ground while I was trying to move it. I looked and it didn't look like it was stressing the line any way. But if this could be the cause of the issue, I might just get the car towed.

The other possiblity was just needing to feed fuel back into the system. Based on a video I watched it sounded like it was just a matter of turning the ignition to on for several and turning it off for several moments. But I tried this three or four times and I don't think the gas gauge should show empty, unless I am below the threshold where the light does turn on. But I still get the P0463 code, which is why I'm going to double check that the fuel sending unit is connected okay. Since I don't think I hear the fuel pump priming I'm hoping it's more of an electrical or connection related issue. But just wanted to double check if the issue might just be this before I go out trying different things.

Thought I'd post this before going out to check the connections because if everything looks okay connection wise, then I'll probably have to figure out how to make my way to a dealer for a new fuel pump assembly. But if changing the fuel pump won't make a difference, then would just skip that step and get the car towed. So am hoping there would be some advice or input by the time I get to that point.

Thanks in advance for any input or advice.

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
Since you didn't even list the year or model of your truck, this needs to stay general.

Did you disconnect a battery cable before you started this R&R?

I wonder if you blew a fuse somewhere in the circuit to the fuel pump. Maybe one could temporarily jump a hot wire (with an inline fuse) to check to see if the new fuel pump operates. My guess would be electrical from your R&R.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I would suggest that you do a fuel pressure test before doing anything else. What engine are we talking about, having that info in your sig would make helping easier.

·
Super Moderator
11,522 Posts
Since you didn't even list the year or model of your truck, this needs to stay general.

Did you disconnect a battery cable before you started this R&R?

I wonder if you blew a fuse somewhere in the circuit to the fuel pump. Maybe one could temporarily jump a hot wire (with an inline fuse) to check to see if the new fuel pump operates. My guess would be electrical from your R&R.
I think he changed sender only.

Clint

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks both. Turns out that the temperature sensor clip came lose. Probably wasn't tight and disconnected when I was trying to move the gas tank around.

Kind of paranoid about the brown clip in the sending unit because at that point I was already rushing. But will worry about that later if it's an issue. Didn't want to drop the gas tank all the way down again. At least the truck is running again. Whew.

There was a useful thread I came across later to help me with this. Will bump it later.

·
Registered
2015 CC SL 4x4 - Lear Cap.
232 Posts
Thanks for the followup post

1 - 6 of 6 Posts