Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a new member and novice mechanic, is there not a lot of similarities (if not exact replacements) between the Frontier and the Titan transmissions? I seem to find more DIY diagnostics on this site as compared to Titan forums for my issues. I have a 2006 Titan with the RE5R05a transmission with some notable, but not so different codes and problems as discussed here. If I am in the wrong place for this issue, please let me know. My 'buddy' overloaded my truck and it has been in fail safe ever since (63K mi). I pulled the TCM with the control valve and noticed the speed sensor (turbo if I recall from two years ago) was partially crusted. Taking a chance that it was not corroded enough to restore and communicate to the transmission, I cleaned it, after checking all the solenoids for resistance and any disconnectivity issues. Replacing it into the transmission, I found some codes disappeared and others remained. But the original problem of 'no reverse', and a sense that the selector for drive, 1, 2, 3,4, were out of alignment still exist (moves forward while in neutral). It will drift backwards with the engine 'off', but not 'on'. Two questions. Should I just replace the TCM (known to have physical issues) or should I also replace the solenoids (which may be suggesting false diagnosis due to the TCM), or should I replace the entire control module? There was no contamination visible. The transmission was taxed as the wheels spun in mud while in LOW 4W with the overloaded haul which I believe caused the problem. My belief is that I only need a new TCM. And if I get the correct matching generation of transmission along with the correct solenoids, it will not have to even be programmed. Opinions appreciated.... Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This thread talks a bunch about the differences in RER505 between years in Xterra/Fronty/Pathfinder. TItans never really come up in these discussions, but perhaps its of some use to you? Transmission Swap - Help !
Thank you. It does seem to be a problem that most certified transmission Nissan mechanics won't comment on the issue. Since there were 4 different designs over a 15 year period that needed to be matched to the control module, there seems to be no clear break points as to concise dates. (If you bought a 2014 truck, it could still have the 2013 transmission). Let's say my 2006 could use a 2009-2013 TCM without re-programming. The only way to differentiate is by part number on the solenoids, assuming they were original to the control body (solenoids of different designs require different resistance tests). Those that sell the computer only do not (or likely cannot) specify which models match their "re-manufactured" TCMs. I am fairly certain my transmission is good along with my control module and 'maybe' my solenoids. I should not order the 'correct' TCM (crap shoot?) without buying new solenoids as the installation is quite difficult for me. But to do that, I have to remove the controller once more, once again, not easy for me (and remembering where each sized bolt returns to the transmission body). The cost of trying something peicemeal strongly outweighs the cost of a few gallons of trany fluid... Unless of course I should drop the controller on my head while attempting the repair... ha,ha. Thanks again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts