Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I have decided on a Frontier for towing my travel trailer. My question for the experts (you) is:

Do all V6 Frontiers come with the same equipment, whether or not they have a tow hitch? I would like to find a used truck with no tow hitch, so I know nothing has been towed, and then add the hitch myself. Do Frontiers come with a "tow package" which might include beefy tranny cooler/beefy alternator, etc., or do they all come with the same gear, whether or not there's a tow hitch?

Thanks very much!

·
Registered
128 Posts
As far as I know, the only differences between a Frontier that can tow from the factory and one that cannot is a class IV receiver hitch and a 7-pin connector. I don't believe there were any improvements between trucks other than the trailer wiring and hitch. Others may have more info.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Archer22 - This is great news, as I had previously decided to buy a Dodge Van for towing, but had to look up the VIN on every one I found to see what equipment it came with. :(

Awesome site!!

·
Registered
936 Posts
Archer22 is correct , there is nothing special as far as the suspension or engine or brake upgrades with a factory receiver tow hitch.

Also keep in mind a lot of Frontiers are shipped/sold with the factory receiver tow hitch installed. (It may be part of certain group upgrade packages) Value package? Luxury package?

The point is you may have a hard time finding one with out the receiver tow hitch unless it is a lower optioned model.

·
Registered
358 Posts
It is part of the SV Value Truck Package, otherwise it is a dealer add on. A lot of dealers add it on before they put it on the lot anyway though. Like it has been said though, there is no difference in drive train or suspension.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks very much! I hear what you're saying about finding one with no hitch - not easy. I've found some with hitch, and sellers who can't (or won't) tell me what's been towed.

I would love to know y'all's opinion about the automatic trannys on 2010 and later models. I owned a QX4 once, and the tranny went out towing my tiny trailer.

I VERY MUCH appreciate your willingness to share your experiences.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I was once forced to tow more than the truck's limit when I had to tow my dad's 97 F350 when it's clutch went out. I only towed it about 15 miles in town to the shop, but still, that truck and trailer is almost 10k. The most I've towed long distance was my father in law's lexus from Shreveport to New Orleans, total weight was 5,800 pounds. Both times it pulled everything just fine power wise and the transmission never over heated. I would recommend air bags in the back though unless you want to be on the bump stops and your headlights searching for monkeys in the tree tops...

·
Registered
582 Posts
Your concern about what has been towed really only covers part of the issue anyways. Without a hitch they could have doubled the payload and rode around on the bump stops.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts