Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here goes I am a new guy and not much of a mechanic. I am looking to do the Titan Swap on my 2016 Frontier. I am sure people have lots of opinions on how should approach the Swap and I will take them all. I am putting the truck together for some of the overland MOAB trails and maybe some basic rock crawling. It will have to be my everyday ride for the next couple of years. So with that in mind tell me about your experiences with the Swap what I should do or not do. PRG or NISSTEC for the kits or piece it together?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
I pieced mine together, using some pre-owned parts it's entirely possible to save some money doing it that way. That said, just going with a whole kit from one place has it's benefits, only paying shipping once is a big one, as is getting everything at once. The shipping ate any savings for me. If you can source stuff locally it's great too.

The threads on thenewx are kinda outdated, your only option for a lot of stuff is no longer PRG. I went with Dirt King for my upper control arms, they shipped right away and answered their phone.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
True, they are old and there are many new options, but it lets you know what parts will need to be replaced, you then just need to find out what other manufacturers make some of the parts and pick what you like best. It is why I said to start with those threads, not that they were all you need.

·
Premium Member
5,760 Posts
One thing to consider is What upper control arm and what coilover you use and what kind of climate you live in. I live in Minnesota and half the year the roads are covered in salt, sand and random grit. Because of that I chose SPC control arms because they have a traditional ball joint and not heim joints. I also went with the 1st gen tundra and custom top hats for this same reason. Rubber bushings instead of Heim joints.

In all my searching, I found the cost savings on used lower control arms, inner and outer tie rods and CV axles to not be worth the hassle. I'm running Dorman lowers and Moog tie rods along with Cardone CV's. I also picked up a Junkyard OEM CV axle as a spare that I carry on any trip I think I run the risk of breaking.

I decided to swap in an M205 instead of running extended axles of some sort on the Frontier diff as the cost of the extended axles is not all that much cheaper than a used M205 and a set of titan axles. Also, if you break an axle, by running a stock Titan axle, you can get one at any parts store.

My M205 came out of a low mile QX56.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Nisstec sells the kit with the extended axles to keep front dif, but also has an option without. Like Sean said, it saves in shipping to have everything sourced from one place.
I'll say the guys at Nisstec are super helpful and accommodating. Even though I ended up not using the body lift in the end, when they realized they had forgotten to send it to me with my swap they overnighted it to me no charge to me. They're also very helpful in understanding and deciding which parts to go with. Give them a call.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have talked to both Nisstec and PRG. PRG seems to be cheaper by a few bucks. I am not planing on changing to a M205. I will also be adding a Heftyfab front and rear bumper. On the rear bumper I haven't decided if I will go with the swing away rear tire or not. Any recommendations on coil over spring rate or anything else that comes to mind I will take and appreciate the advice.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I've just got a hitch mounted winch on front and the 600 rate does me great. I think most folks here go with the 650 if they've got a replacement bumper.
I didn't swap to the titan front differential either and was ok with paying the premium for the 180 molly cv's. Figure I traded cost to do one-stop shopping and delivery.
I also opted for the 2 inch bora spacers on the rear. I know we're a community divided on their merits, but I like the aesthetic and extra stability considering I sit a little higher than most swaps. I just make sure to torque them correctly every rotation.

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok one other question my truck is a SV model. Would I be better off trading for a PRO 4X or just installing a ARB locker? Before I put all this money into making it the way I want I better make sure I have the right truck before I start.

·
Premium Member
12,051 Posts
if you are planning on modding the balls off it, the only thing i would really make sure is that you are 4wd. everything else can be sourced pretty easily.
you may have a c200 with a less than desirable final drive ratio. m226 swap and thats gone. m205 up front with a titan swap and thats really it.

the pro4x comes with better stuff from the factory for sure, but if you are going to mod it and remove most of it. not really worth it imo.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'm with Andy. Had I known I was going to make so many changes I would have just gone with an SV myself.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts