Nissan Frontier Forum banner
521 - 540 of 543 Posts

·
Registered
2020 SV, Silver
512 Posts
that tsb for a transmission software update from a year ago was not a recall it was an update to be done upon customer complaint - it was not required. it has nothing to do with the 2 current recalls for parking pawl issues.

i would think they did the 2 recalls for you. they would have installed the latest transmission software which is the recall fix version. there is no reason to install old software for the tsb when there is a newer version available.
I never stated the old TCM was a recall. They just told me they did it. It would not surprise me if Nissan rolled the Pawl TCM recall on top of last years TCM shifting fix software, thus it all got done at the same time.

·
Registered
22 CC S 4x4
176 Posts
Yeah, I've had pretty bad luck with my dealer. They did the recalls but listed all the other problems as "could not duplicate"- meaning they didn't want to take the dash apart and not find the problem and have it come back again. On the low idle, they told me to call Nissan and complain. Not sure why they don't call Nissan and ask for a solution. BTW, it is a pawl, not a prawl.
My dealer did the idle relearn when they had it in for the pawl replacement. Seems to have worked pretty well. My service advisor was familiar with the idle relearn procedure though.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
My dealer did the idle relearn when they had it in for the pawl replacement. Seems to have worked pretty well. My service advisor was familiar with the idle relearn procedure though.
Which dealership you use? It might help others here?

·
Registered
2022 S King Cab
417 Posts
Is this going to be a good/"meh"/bad survey?
I just finished the survey they sent me for the dealer service. Recalls done, ok. Low idle speed/vibration "could not duplicate" and they told me to contact Nissan myself since they don't have a code to do anything. Rattle in the dash- "could not duplicate". Seat belt rattle- "could not duplicate". Would you recommend this dealer to your friends- nope. Same dealer that left me sitting for an hour for an oil change I had an appt for then told me there were still 4 other cars in front of me. I left and should have realized what I was dealing with but I wanted the recalls done in hopes it would help the shifting.
I still have the vehicle quality survey to fill out... I'll try to be fair but as you guys know, I really don't like this truck. I hate the trans and clunky downshifts and the low idle speed is very annoying.
I did go and drive a Ridgeline and liked it. Shifting was smooth as butter. Ride and noise was a bit better but not amazing as some reviews would have you believe. Engine was noticeably smoother and refined feeling. Fit and finish is a notch above Nissan in all respects but not Lexus quality. Be interesting to see if Nissan reaches out to me after they get the survey.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I just finished the survey they sent me for the dealer service. Recalls done, ok. Low idle speed/vibration "could not duplicate" and they told me to contact Nissan myself since they don't have a code to do anything. Rattle in the dash- "could not duplicate". Seat belt rattle- "could not duplicate". Would you recommend this dealer to your friends- nope. Same dealer that left me sitting for an hour for an oil change I had an appt for then told me there were still 4 other cars in front of me. I left and should have realized what I was dealing with but I wanted the recalls done in hopes it would help the shifting.
I still have the vehicle quality survey to fill out... I'll try to be fair but as you guys know, I really don't like this truck. I hate the trans and clunky downshifts and the low idle speed is very annoying.
I did go and drive a Ridgeline and liked it. Shifting was smooth as butter. Ride and noise was a bit better but not amazing as some reviews would have you believe. Engine was noticeably smoother and refined feeling. Fit and finish is a notch above Nissan in all respects but not Lexus quality. Be interesting to see if Nissan reaches out to me after they get the survey.
Get you a Ford Maverick! :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
TCM update today (build 05/22).
The truck seems much happier to remain in a taller gear. The rev-to-the-moon in cruise control is fixed. It still downshifts, but one gear at a time, shifting around 3200 rpm(?).
Lower gear shifts feel a bit softer, making wheel spin a little less likely in our winter wonderland.
A 50km mixed driving loop also hints at improved mileage. I'll have to keep track at the next fill-up...

·
Registered
2022 Frontier SV LWB Sport 4x4
13 Posts
The truck seems much happier to remain in a taller gear. The rev-to-the-moon in cruise control is fixed. It still downshifts, but one gear at a time, shifting around 3200 rpm(?).
Lower gear shifts feel a bit softer, making wheel spin a little less likely in our winter wonderland.
A 50km mixed driving loop also hints at improved mileage. I'll have to keep track at the next fill-up...
Wow it fixed the crazy cruise acceleration! That’s great news. I tried to book my recall appointment but the dealer said no parts available until the end of December. Not cool.

·
Registered
2022 S King Cab
417 Posts
I think you need to drive it a while since when they do the tcm update, it "forgets" your driving style, which it learns over a period of time- usually a couple hundred miles. Good news on the CC. I need to try mine and see it it is fixed as well. I wonder how different the tcm software is between the 2wd and 4wd. My truck has the nasty downshift harshness and clunking and I wonder if the 4wd is immune to that due to software, transfer case, etc.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Yuppers. Evil FB, once full of the miracles resulting from the update have several complaints that it either did nothing, made it worse, or went back to the way it was. To be fair, some are still basking in the recall update glow.

I find it suspect that programming could work this way. It either does a thing or it doesn't based on parameters. To explain it, I wondered if TCM versions were a factor. Either what one started with, ended up with, or both.

Example thought process:
Owner had crappy ver "x", now much better with ver "z". Some other fella had ver "p" that incorporated most of ver "z" already - no change. Ver "m" was a jumbled mess but owner didn't notice, others have issues. Freshy shows up with ver "y" already using all of ver "z" updates minus the pawl but is convinced due to FB something is wrong and was then fixed when recall update went to "z" because of memory reset. So far, there is only one TCM version for 4wd and one version for 2wd after recall... there are however several versions in production prior to recall.

As mentioned, we also don't know in what way the TCM learn takes place and how adaptive it may be.

·
Registered
‘22 CC Red Alert 4x4 S
110 Posts
I think you need to drive it a while since when they do the tcm update, it "forgets" your driving style, which it learns over a period of time- usually a couple hundred miles. Good news on the CC. I need to try mine and see it it is fixed as well. I wonder how different the tcm software is between the 2wd and 4wd. My truck has the nasty downshift harshness and clunking and I wonder if the 4wd is immune to that due to software, transfer case, etc.
I agree! My TCM update was amazing…..and then back to the same ol’ crap!!

·
Registered
‘22 CC Red Alert 4x4 S
110 Posts
So mine has been at the dealership since Saturday. For the “TSB issue” for the ABS harness. While it was in there I decided to agree to them installing the ADO RCKilla lift kit since they assured me going with them would not void the warranty. (In experience, it’s due to the dealership not “telling” the manufacturer that they altered the vehicle and it’s still original, if ever a claim).
Well, here I am still in a loaner (A Sentra!!) because they didn’t have the “special tool” to repair the harness. I went there today asking WTF and “I need my **** outta my truck for work!” and BTW the lift kit will take 7 hours @ $189/hr.
(I refused them to do it unless they guaranteed it would only be the suggested 4 hours) The lift hasn’t EVEN BEEN DONE YET!
I guess I will be updating shortly.

·
Registered
'22 Frontier 4x4; '91 W250 Cummins 4x4;'89 BMW E30;'88 F-150 4x4;'86 Jetta TDI-swapped;'81 VW Caddy
34 Posts
I've been waiting 3 months for a parking pawl replacement. I made a cross-country trip to Oregon and hit the dealer in Eugene (Kendall...awesome service on several occasions) for an oil change. I inquired about the firmware update for the transmission being performed while I waited for my home dealer to get the parts to fix the pawl and was told they can't perform the firmware update without performing the pawl replacement.
Looking at replies here, it seems this is NOT the case. Having made another cross-country trip, I'm telling you...this cruise control is driving me crazy.
Has anyone else been told a transmission firmware update can't be performed with first having the pawl replaced (if you have both recalls) ?

So amazingly annoying. I have a ticket opened with Nissan, but I think it's moot.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #540 ·
I've been waiting 3 months for a parking pawl replacement. I made a cross-country trip to Oregon and hit the dealer in Eugene (Kendall...awesome service on several occasions) for an oil change. I inquired about the firmware update for the transmission being performed while I waited for my home dealer to get the parts to fix the pawl and was told they can't perform the firmware update without performing the pawl replacement.
Looking at replies here, it seems this is NOT the case. Having made another cross-country trip, I'm telling you...this cruise control is driving me crazy.
Has anyone else been told a transmission firmware update can't be performed with first having the pawl replaced (if you have both recalls) ?

So amazingly annoying. I have a ticket opened with Nissan, but I think it's moot.
My dealer would have done performed the TCM update while waiting for the pawl parts. I declined and chose to wait for the parts to come in. No call yet and it's been a week.

However, given the prior posts on the dealer reimbursement it makes sense to have them done together to keep the dealer overhead to a minimum.

521 - 540 of 543 Posts