Nissan Frontier Forum banner
501 - 520 of 543 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Canadian P4X build April 2022. Still waiting on hardware for pawl fix, had TCM reprogramming done today R22A9. Result: Noticeably smoother shifts at all speeds, but a bit less crisp than before. Still highly responsive, but more of a slushy 'comfort mode' shift feel. Just a 45min drive since, maybe it'll adapt to my style a bit more later... or not.
Also, regarding the post above about manual mode downshifting, it's not really a manual mode. It's a gear limit mode, the number indicated is the maximum gear. It'll go under that number if necessary. No change to behaviour there.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Some mentioned the manual mode would upshift beyond the selected. I didn't test this much as the RPM was too high already so not able to say if different now.

Note: R22A9 is the recall reference to denote you have 4wd vs 2wd (R22B1). Did they include TCM part number detail or the labor op code? R22A90 would be op code to reprogram, R22A91 is check only.

·
Registered
22 CC S 4x4
176 Posts
Some mentioned the manual mode would upshift beyond the selected. I didn't test this much as the RPM was too high already so not able to say if different now.

Note: R22A9 is the recall reference to denote you have 4wd vs 2wd (R22B1). Did they include TCM part number detail or the labor op code? R22A90 would be op code to reprogram, R22A91 is check only.
I use manual mode a lot and it has never shifted past the number displayed on the gauge cluster. It’s very handy for when I’m driving in the hills we have around here.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I had the tcm flashed today. Took about an hour. My truck was built in August and doesn’t require the pawl to be changed.

Right off the bat I notice a very different feel to shifting in gears 1-3. It is significantly smoother and less jerky as I apply the accelerator. It’s definitely not a placebo. We’ll see how it goes over the next few days.

·
Registered
2022 Frontier S Tech CC 4x4 Gun Metal
33 Posts
Yup that’s exactly what i felt in the first few gears. It doesn’t feel as bumpy at the end of each gear change. Just smoother. All the rest of the other gears felt the same or just a tiny bit better. Probably not much to notice.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #509 ·
So, my transmission recall experience is off to a rocky start. I called the dealer last week and made an appointment for tomorrow (11/17) and asked what the repairs entailed as the recall notice was ambiguous. Receptionist said a service advisor would call me back with the details.

Crickets! So, I called again on Monday, same response, service advisor would call me back.

Crickets! So, I call again this morning and asked to talk with the service manager, explained the situation and he said he would have to call Nissan to determine if the prawl need replacement and he would call me back. Which he did a few hours later, stated the prawl would need to be replaced and that he would have to order the parts. So, I canceled tomorrows appointment and will wait for the parts to come and reschedule the appointment.

I didn't see the need to be inconvenienced twice...

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
So, my transmission recall experience is off to a rocky start. I called the dealer last week and made an appointment for tomorrow (11/17) and asked what the repairs entailed as the recall notice was ambiguous. Receptionist said a service advisor would call me back with the details.

Crickets! So, I called again on Monday, same response, service advisor would call me back.

Crickets! So, I call again this morning and asked to talk with the service manager, explained the situation and he said he would have to call Nissan to determine if the prawl need replacement and he would call me back. Which he did a few hours later, stated the prawl would need to be replaced and that he would have to order the parts. So, I canceled tomorrows appointment and will wait for the parts to come and reschedule the appointment.

Yeah...seems there's no more SERVICE in Customer Service anymore. You shouldn't have to chase them, but this IS the norm nowadays. Especially on a warranty item that the dealer does not make a profit on. But I get your frustration. At least you know now, and hopefully all goes well when you reschedule ;) (y)

Reactions: WestFront

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #513 ·
Yeah...seems there's no more SERVICE in Customer Service anymore. You shouldn't have to chase them, but this IS the norm nowadays. Especially on a warranty item that the dealer does not make a profit on. But I get your frustration. At least you know now, and hopefully all goes well when you reschedule ;) (y)

The dealer gets to bill Nissan for $84 on the tcm flash.
So, if they are not making a profit, it would seem they would want to minimize the cost by reducing the number of times they need to touch the vehicle. Just bringing in and setting up the paperwork is overhead to them....

·
Registered
2022 S King Cab
417 Posts

Yeah, I've had pretty bad luck with my dealer. They did the recalls but listed all the other problems as "could not duplicate"- meaning they didn't want to take the dash apart and not find the problem and have it come back again. On the low idle, they told me to call Nissan and complain. Not sure why they don't call Nissan and ask for a solution. BTW, it is a pawl, not a prawl.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
So, if they are not making a profit, it would seem they would want to minimize the cost by reducing the number of times they need to touch the vehicle. Just bringing in and setting up the paperwork is overhead to them....
Exactly (y) But Cooter behind the counter could care less.
Hood Tree Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Hat

• Haha
Reactions: Grumpy Shihtzu

·
Registered
2020 SV, Silver
512 Posts
Dealers. Ugh. Had an appointment for the pawl recall this past Wed. They called and said they need to keep, said maybe Friday as they "needed to get parts from another dealer". I was annoyed but agreed. My recall notice from Nissan state a TCM reprogram, about an hour. I called today to request pickup today. They were very unhappy, stating they needed to schedule a certain mechanic to do the work, I said OK put me at the front of the que as they've had the vehicle 2 days. It was a sharp and pointed conversation and I said essentially that they should not have taken the vehicle in for service until they had "parts" to do the work, wondering how hard to download software from Nissan. They were also doing an oil change. ASM calls today (Thurs) at 2, vehicle is ready.

I pick up and have a conversation with the service person, turns out the "parts" were the shaft kit, a Pawl, plus the install kit, not at all what Nissan indicated in the recall notice. They also finally got around to upgrading the TCM for the shifting issue of a year ago. They comp'd the $55 oil change, which restored my faith in them.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Now that is some detail! You have any other inside scoop? Been trying to package together how the process works and get it documented - cost not important but interesting and maybe you have other detail :)
It’s not an inside story. The invoice said $84 and the service manager pointed at it and said I owed zero, the dealer gets to bill Nissan for the tcm flash.

·
Registered
2021 Pro 4x
372 Posts
Dealers. Ugh. Had an appointment for the pawl recall this past Wed. They called and said they need to keep, said maybe Friday as they "needed to get parts from another dealer". I was annoyed but agreed. My recall notice from Nissan state a TCM reprogram, about an hour. I called today to request pickup today. They were very unhappy, stating they needed to schedule a certain mechanic to do the work, I said OK put me at the front of the que as they've had the vehicle 2 days. It was a sharp and pointed conversation and I said essentially that they should not have taken the vehicle in for service until they had "parts" to do the work, wondering how hard to download software from Nissan. They were also doing an oil change. ASM calls today (Thurs) at 2, vehicle is ready.

I pick up and have a conversation with the service person, turns out the "parts" were the shaft kit, a Pawl, plus the install kit, not at all what Nissan indicated in the recall notice. They also finally got around to upgrading the TCM for the shifting issue of a year ago. They comp'd the $55 oil change, which restored my faith in them.
there are 2 recalls dealing with pawl issues- the notice you got was for the software recall. there is a 2nd recall that replaces the pawl pin - the notice for that goes out the end of November per nissan.

"Owners will receive a final invitation to repair notification beginning in late November 2022. The letter will instruct owners to schedule an appointment with a Nissan dealer to have the transmission parking pawl pin replaced free of charge."

your dealer went ahead and did the pin recall before you were even notified it needed to be done.

yes they should have explained the situation better, but they may not have known you were also getting the pin recall until they ran your vin.

Attachments

·
Registered
2020 SV, Silver
512 Posts
there are 2 recalls dealing with pawl issues- the notice you got was for the software recall. there is a 2nd recall that replaces the pawl pin - the notice for that goes out the end of November per nissan.

"Owners will receive a final invitation to repair notification beginning in late November 2022. The letter will instruct owners to schedule an appointment with a Nissan dealer to have the transmission parking pawl pin replaced free of charge."

your dealer went ahead and did the pin recall before you were even notified it needed to be done.

yes they should have explained the situation better, but they may not have known you were also getting the pin recall until they ran your vin.
They did not mention this at all. Not having yet started the pin change out recall is likely why they had to go get the part at another dealer. They also did the TCM upgrade that fixes shifting issues. This was a TSB from over a year ago that they admitted they never did (vehicles been in twice since then for oil changes). Since they did a free oil change, I cannot complain except to say that they needed to better communicate. As BTW, I noticed no real change in shifting.

·
Registered
2021 Pro 4x
372 Posts
They did not mention this at all. Not having yet started the pin change out recall is likely why they had to go get the part at another dealer. They also did the TCM upgrade that fixes shifting issues. This was a TSB from over a year ago that they admitted they never did (vehicles been in twice since then for oil changes). Since they did a free oil change, I cannot complain except to say that they needed to better communicate. As BTW, I noticed no real change in shifting.
that tsb for a transmission software update from a year ago was not a recall it was an update to be done upon customer complaint - it was not required. it has nothing to do with the 2 current recalls for parking pawl issues.

i would think they did the 2 recalls for you. they would have installed the latest transmission software which is the recall fix version. there is no reason to install old software for the tsb when there is a newer version available.

Attachments

501 - 520 of 543 Posts