Nissan Frontier Forum banner
241 - 260 of 299 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I put $500 down to hold a PRO-4X a week or so ago. A last saturday the salesman said on the phone they got the "part" in to fix the truck and it'd be ready by Monday or Tuesday. Salesman is Low Level btw. Then Monday he tells me that Nissan says the problem is a programming error and that he wasn't exactly sure what the ''fix'' was until it was clarified to him. He messages me today (Wednesday) and says Nissan has told them they're going to release the programming fix next week now.

So anyways, what i'm gathering is this guy is saying ECU or TCU needs a programming update to resolve the issue and that the "fix" is just around the corner. I'm really not sure what to believe from this guy but everything i've seen suggests its a mechanical error.

Here's the Text Message from Him Today:
View attachment 358671
I would not listen to that sales guy. Don't think he knows what he is talking about. Look at post #233 for PDF file. Its an internal TSB for dealers on how to fix. Its not programming. Its pure mechanical failure on the parking pawl not engaging meaning the truck can roll away when in park. Also there were two recalls covering the same issue. After the first recall the fix went into current production. Then at the Canton Miss plant one of the trucks rolled down on the lot. They examined 83 trucks at that time and found 11 to have issues with the engagement of the parking pawl or 10 percent. At that time they had recalled about 180K Titan/Frontiers. After that they recalled everything made after first recall including the 9 speed Z's. for over 200K effected trucks/cars. Things are a bit blurry as whether Nissan has a fix but it sounds like they might have a new pin as outlined on that fix on post 233. A few members on this forum have taken possession of new trucks after the recall which was probably a mistake by the dealer being they expanded the recall. Unless those trucks got the newest pin but I doubt it since everything is just now unraveling and the supply chain for trucks normally don't move that fast. With so many effected vehicles this may take quite some time to sort out. The procedure seems pretty delicate as well and appears to be a risk for a mechanic to make matters worse if not done correctly. The question is will the NHTSA force nissan to fix existing vehicles on the road before applying fix on new production? If so that's a lot of trucks covering 2020, 2021, 2022 for both titans and frontiers and Z.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I would not listen to that sales guy. Don't think he knows what he is talking about. Look at post #233 for PDF file. Its an internal TSB for dealers on how to fix. Its not programming. Its pure mechanical failure on the parking pawl not engaging meaning the truck can roll away when in park. Also there were two recalls covering the same issue. After the first recall the fix went into current production. Then at the Canton Miss plant one of the trucks rolled down on the lot. They examined 83 trucks at that time and found 11 to have issues with the engagement of the parking pawl or 10 percent. At that time they had recalled about 180K Titan/Frontiers. After that they recalled everything made after first recall including the 9 speed Z's. for over 200K effected trucks/cars. Things are a bit blurry as whether Nissan has a fix but it sounds like they might have a new pin as outlined on that fix on post 233. A few members on this forum have taken possession of new trucks after the recall which was probably a mistake by the dealer being they expanded the recall. Unless those trucks got the newest pin but I doubt it since everything is just now unraveling and the supply chain for trucks normally don't move that fast. With so many effected vehicles this may take quite some time to sort out. The procedure seems pretty delicate as well and appears to be a risk for a mechanic to make matters worse if not done correctly. The question is will the NHTSA force nissan to fix existing vehicles on the road before applying fix on new production? If so that's a lot of trucks covering 2020, 2021, 2022 for both titans and frontiers and Z.
Yeah i read all lthat, screen shotted it and sent it too him. I"ve been telling this guy for 2 weeks its a parking pawl and they act like i'm crazy and they know nothing about it. Doesn't matter. I"m saying screw that 2022. I'll wait and get a 2023 later next year after they're being made correctly and don't have to worry about a Nissan Tech's skill on Transmission work of all things.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Saw a report of the Nissan Recall on FoxNews Tv just a few minutes ago. According to them over 200,000 Titans and Frontiers are effected by the parking pawl which keeps the vehicles from rolling. Nissan is working on a fix.
No other additional information was provided.
FYI

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Saw a report of the Nissan Recall on FoxNews Tv just a few minutes ago. According to them over 200,000 Titans and Frontiers are effected by the parking pawl which keeps the vehicles from rolling. Nissan is working on a fix.
No other additional information was provided.
FYI
Like I posted earlier on this or the other thread (I know confusion :oops:) This article has the most info I've seen.

The initial fix didn't work. They recalled all those as well from the oem. Everything is recalled at this point. Anyone getting a dealer to let one go better be using the E-Brake.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Word choice makes a big difference in a game of recall telephone. You can have a blanket recall but the failure rate is much much lower. In other words "effected" is at 11% based on the sample size. If we could judge by social media (we can't) it is even lower, but using the brake is a good idea.

The stop sale didn't even have a percentage, and that is for good reason. They may not know exact numbers.

·
Registered
2022 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X
24 Posts
I just got a call from my dealership in Orange County, Ca. My 2022 Nissan Frontier Pro4x is ready for pickup tomorrow @ noon! I’ll get the details tomorrow and update you guys! Build date for my truck is 08/22.

·
Registered
15 Posts
About the stop sale, talked to a sales rep at a local Nissan dealer about a pre owned 22 SV they have on the lot, he says that they can sell it (and let me take it home) even though the recall work has not been done. Apparently the stop sale only applies to new inventory. They said just bring it back later when the parts are in for the recall. Going to see it tomorrow....

·
Registered
2022 Nissan Frontier CC Pro-4x White
25 Posts
I am trying to be patient 😌
About the stop sale, talked to a sales rep at a local Nissan dealer about a pre owned 22 SV they have on the lot, he says that they can sell it (and let me take it home) even though the recall work has not been done. Apparently the stop sale only applies to new inventory. They said just bring it back later when the parts are in for the recall. Going to see it tomorrow....
I personally know someone who picked up a used 2022 Frontier on September 17th, from the same local Nissan dealership holding my new 2022 Frontier. I hope the stop sale is lifted soon ! The recall can be worked on still later or whenever they are ready. But I am not Nissan to make that decision 😞.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Nissan tech on one of the Facebook pages also verified the software update for the pawl recall has been released. So if thats your only recall get on it.

If you have the first recall your still going to be subject to the availability of the actual pawl replacement part and software reflash both. Sorry..

·
Registered
701 Posts
Nissan tech on one of the Facebook pages also verified the software update for the pawl recall has been released. So if thats your only recall get on it.

If you have the first recall your still going to be subject to the availability of the actual pawl replacement part and software reflash both. Sorry..
So the "second" recall is in regards to a software update??? I did not see any info on this?? What is the update supposedly updating in regards to the pawl??

·
Registered
478 Posts
This getting confusing. Is this a hardware or software issue or both? Nissan puts out a bulletin, separate for 4x2 & 4x4, on the procedure for the hardware fix but now multiple, previously reliable, sources are reporting Nissan still does not have a fix. There's supposedly a stop sale order in place and people are reporting some dealers are refusing to even discuss potential new sales while other are accepting hold money and still other dealers seem to be releasing new trucks or used trucks that fall under the recall and supposedly are not supposed to be sold by authorized dealers. Sure would be nice if Nissan corporate came out and publicly made a statement/announcement as to where they are with regards to this matter.

HEY NISSAN if you're paying attention, as you should be to a major owner's group social media site, how about coming out with a statement of clarification. What exactly is the status of the parking pawl situation? Where do we as owners of Nissan Frontiers (and Titans) stand? When can we as owners of Nissan trucks effected under this recall expect a final remedy to this problem?

·
Registered
33 Posts
So the "second" recall is in regards to a software update??? I did not see any info on this?? What is the update supposedly updating in regards to the pawl??
Call your dea
This getting confusing. Is this a hardware or software issue or both? Nissan puts out a bulletin, separate for 4x2 & 4x4, on the procedure for the hardware fix but now multiple, previously reliable, sources are reporting Nissan still does not have a fix. There's supposedly a stop sale order in place and people are reporting some dealers are refusing to even discuss potential new sales while other are accepting hold money and still other dealers seem to be releasing new trucks or used trucks that fall under the recall and supposedly are not supposed to be sold by authorized dealers. Sure would be nice if Nissan corporate came out and publicly made a statement/announcement as to where they are with regards to this matter.

HEY NISSAN if you're paying attention, as you should be to a major owner's group social media site, how about coming out with a statement of clarification. What exactly is the status of the parking pawl situation? Where do we as owners of Nissan Frontiers (and Titans) stand? When can we as owners of Nissan trucks effected under this recall expect a final remedy to this problem?
It’s both, just like I just told you above. First Pawl recall was for an actual physical part that needs replaced, the second is the software update.

The software update is out for those of us with that last recall only. If you have both recalls the physical part has to be replaced before you get the reflash.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Because that’s what the guy posted the software update is for? If you want any more detailed information you will have to either pm him or go to that thread where he is answering questions about the software update and the physical pawl part needed for the first recall.

Brown Product Font Screenshot Software

·
Registered
701 Posts
And here is another screenshot of the actual software notification that it is released.

View attachment 358740
This was just released yesterday, so I have not seen this yet. Glad you posted this TSB (y) Actual Nissan documentation is key here. Everything else is hearsay.
The other screen shot of "someone" stating reprogramming was commencing means nothing to me.
Thank you again for posting this.

·
Registered
33 Posts
This was just released yesterday, so I have not seen this yet. Glad you posted this TSB (y) Actual Nissan documentation is key here. Everything else is hearsay.
The other screen shot of "someone" stating reprogramming was commencing means nothing to me.
Thank you again for posting this.
Well to be fair the the first guy on Facebook knew wtf he was talking about as he posted (and answered question in the thread) a good 40 minutes before the other posted the factual Nissan documentation.

But the software update is out, if that’s all you need, call up your dealer.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I put $500 down to hold a PRO-4X a week or so ago. A last saturday the salesman said on the phone they got the "part" in to fix the truck and it'd be ready by Monday or Tuesday. Salesman is Low Level btw. Then Monday he tells me that Nissan says the problem is a programming error and that he wasn't exactly sure what the ''fix'' was until it was clarified to him. He messages me today (Wednesday) and says Nissan has told them they're going to release the programming fix next week now.

So anyways, what i'm gathering is this guy is saying ECU or TCU needs a programming update to resolve the issue and that the "fix" is just around the corner. I'm really not sure what to believe from this guy but everything i've seen suggests its a mechanical error.

Here's the Text Message from Him Today:
View attachment 358671
Well, I guess that Nissan Dealer was right the whole time. He just sent me another message saying the update is in and the truck should be ready today. I'll Believe it When I See It Tho.
White Light Black Font Screenshot

Reactions: GreyFox

·
Registered
701 Posts
Well, I guess that Nissan Dealer was right the whole time. He just sent me another message saying the update is in and the truck should be ready today. I'll Believe it When I See It Tho.
View attachment 358752
Sounds good then (y) Let us know exactly what the dealership did to your vehicle. Enjoy your weekend with the new ride ;)

241 - 260 of 299 Posts