Nissan Frontier Forum banner
221 - 240 of 300 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
My 2022 frontier is on the recall. I called my dealer, they said the parts aren't in yet. Nissan will send me a update when I can make a appointment at the dealership. They told me it will take more then one day so I will get a loaner. Sounds like they have to pull the transmission to fix this. Not very happy about this, plus the fact of the trans fluid being drained . Any thoughts or comments?
When I checked with the local Nissan dealer on September 8th I was informed by the service manager, as has been confirmed by others, the part(s) aren't yet available but he suggested that I go in, and I did, and get an RO started for the recall so I'm now in the queue and he can now order the part(s) under my VIN when they do become available.

·
Registered
702 Posts
When I checked with the local Nissan dealer on September 8th I was informed by the service manager, as has been confirmed by others, the part(s) aren't yet available but he suggested that I go in, and I did, and get an RO started for the recall so I'm now in the queue and he can now order the part(s) under my VIN when they do become available.
Well you have a service manager that actual "gets it" vs. some of the ones I've encountered over the years. I called my service department and they pretty much blew me off as they did not have any info from Nisan yet. Guy even told me to continue following this forum as I had more information than he did 🤦‍♂️ :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
Black 2022 Pro-4X
103 Posts
Taking my 22' in for its first service in the next week weeks, we'll see if anything pops up (even though I can search the VIN).

Hard to imagine I'm at 4,250 miles since only June 10th!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Sorry if it's been discussed, but I wonder if Nissan is churning out 2023's with the same problem or did they stop production until this is remedied? You'd think if they rectified the situation for current production, after several months, the fix has got to be close to being put out there.

Reason I ask is, my dealer put my name on a 2023 S model yesterday and even if it comes in, they can't sell it to me until the recall is complete. My sales guy wasn't sure if it was built yet. All he had was a VIN #.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Sorry if it's been discussed, but I wonder if Nissan is churning out 2023's with the same problem or did they stop production until this is remedied? You'd think if they rectified the situation for current production, after several months, the fix has got to be close to being put out there.

Reason I ask is, my dealer put my name on a 2023 S model yesterday and even if it comes in, they can't sell it to me until the recall is complete. My sales guy wasn't sure if it was built yet. All he had was a VIN #.
Not sure when Nissan designates a model year change? Not sure if anything will be different in regards to the 22 vs. 23 model either? If nothing has to be retooled in the factory, I would assume end of summer/beginning of fall is usually when manufactures typically begin next model year builds. As far as "ordering" a 23 model, all Nissan dealerships are allotted so many vehicles per month, and your dealer should know when the 23 model will be allotted to them??? Nissan vehicles are not "ordered", however before the allotted vehicle is built a possible change in model/color/features may be done depending on the territory supervisors.
Since your dealer has a VIN already, he should know what the year and model are. As far as the recall stuff, it would depend on Nissan. They may continue building as usual and store them like other manufacturers are doing regarding the supply chain issues, until the recall/part is done??? I would think THIS would be the most cost effective way. Again, I'm sure Nissan is working closely with Jatco to get this resolved ASAP as they want to make money like everyone else. My guess is Nissan will not start the 23 models until this recall business is figured out, that way they can move forward knowing the 23s are not effected by this. Just my speculation.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts

I was wondering the same thing about production. Do you know what the remedy is with the new part? That is, can it be done without pulling the transmission or is there easier access to the part? Because that would make a big difference as far as production. If they need the transmission out before installation they would want to rework transmissions before assembly.

·
Registered
752 Posts

Also, looks like another in forum was able to buy a new one. That makes two this week IIRC.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I was wondering the same thing about production. Do you know what the remedy is with the new part? That is, can it be done without pulling the transmission or is there easier access to the part? Because that would make a big difference as far as production. If they need the transmission out before installation they would want to rework transmissions before assembly.

I know it's all speculation at this point and there's been tons of posts on it.

I'm a shade tree mechanic on a good day, but if the remedy for this involves getting at the actual parking pawl mechanism within the transmission, this will involve dropping the trans pan, the valve body and likely more. Search MB G9 transmission service on the u toob or the likes. It's a relatively involved process to just do a fluid level check on these transmissions, however it's standard affair these days. Toyotas have been like this forever, etc.

From what I've seen, the pans and drain/refill/level check plugs look identical between the MB G9 and the Jatco rendition of this trans.

The Matic-P fluid alone for these transmissions is about $45/qt and the filters are built into the plastic pan. Again, not unusual today. The ZF8 in my Ram 1500 is the same type of deal.

I have to look into it further, but I believe this 9spd AT is shift by wire, meaning motors or solenoids do the gear range changing instead of a mechanical cable.

Could they fix this issue with a programming change or electrical modification? Who knows.

At the end of the day, your standard Nissan dealer tech does not tear into or modify transmissions. They're setup to do fluid/pan/filter changes at best, swap the whole unit out or scan/program it.

·
Registered
702 Posts

I'm a shade tree mechanic on a good day, but if the remedy for this involves getting at the actual parking pawl mechanism within the transmission, this will involve dropping the trans pan, the valve body and likely more. Search MB G9 transmission service on the u toob or the likes. It's a relatively involved process to just do a fluid level check on these transmissions, however it's standard affair these days. Toyotas have been like this forever, etc.

From what I've seen, the pans and drain/refill/level check plugs look identical between the MB G9 and the Jatco rendition of this trans.

The Matic-P fluid alone for these transmissions is about $45/qt and the filters are built into the plastic pan. Again, not unusual today. The ZF8 in my Ram 1500 is the same type of deal.

I have to look into it further, but I believe this 9spd AT is shift by wire, meaning motors or solenoids do the gear range changing instead of a mechanical cable.

Could they fix this issue with a programming change or electrical modification? Who knows.

At the end of the day, your standard Nissan dealer tech does not tear into or modify transmissions. They're setup to do fluid/pan/filter changes at best, swap the whole unit out or scan/program it.
Frontier Recalls (see attachment)

It's not too bad and has been posted here already.

·
Registered
2022 SV CC 4WD
43 Posts
I was in the dealership today, they fixed a problem with the hitch wiring. I asked the service guy about the latest stop sale/ recall or whatever it is. He said he'd been told it was a programming issue and they would be able to fix them in a week or so. I didn't ask him to check if my truck was included, he said Nissan would send a notice. They had six new Frontiers sitting in the back of the lot. Hardly any new Nissans of any sort. Funny that they had 3 or 4 used Tacomas prominent in the front. FWIW, they made no move to "confiscate" my truck. I know some were concerned about that.

·
Registered
702 Posts

After posting the above link/attachment I noticed Figure #18 in the attachment. I am wondering if the second recall regarding the CASE has something to do with the alignment of the case and transmission that the pawl may stick?? Again, pure speculation, but as they have detailed instructions on t e removal of that pawl pin, has me wondering 🤨🧐

·
Registered
102 Posts

Thank you. I dunno how the heck I missed that!

So the fix has been in place for months. It's just a matter of waiting on the replacement pins, etc.

Now to figure out why/how some people are allowed to take delivery of effected Frontiers and everyone else is no go! 😂

·
Registered
2022 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X
24 Posts

Here’s what I found on the repair for the parking pawl. Hopefully they can execute this repair without any issues. I hope sooner than later too. Lol

Attachments

·
Registered
478 Posts
Here’s what I found on the repair for the parking pawl. Hopefully they can execute this repair without any issues. I hope sooner than later too. Lol
After looking over that document one had best hope they do not become the victim of a #14/#15 situation. WTF? 48hours for a response .......... REALLY? They haven't already figured it out?
So if one is unfortunate enough to have their truck/transmission fall into this situation, #14/#15, it appears their truck is going to be left sitting on the dealership hoist in a partially disassembled state for possibly 48 hours or more while the boys at the factory are scratching their collective bottoms trying to figure what to do next.
Not a big confidence builder folks!

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
After looking over that document one had best hope they do not become the victim of a #14/#15 situation. WTF? 48hours for a response .......... REALLY? They haven't already figured it out?
So if one is unfortunate enough to have their truck/transmission fall into this situation, #14/#15, it appears their truck is going to be left sitting on the dealership hoist in a partially disassembled state for possibly 48 hours or more while the boys at the factory are scratching their collective bottoms trying to figure what to do next.
Not a big confidence builder folks!
Yeah I saw that:

18. Send an email with the below information to:
[email protected].
A response will be provided within 48 business hours.

This is a delicate procedure. I can see dealers making a muck of things for the worse.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
This article has some good information on what Nissan has to say about this issue. Apparently, one rolled off their production lot. They said on closer inspection of 83 vehicles 11 displaced issues with the parking pawl engagement (10 percent. The recall now includes 203K trucks including those made after the first recall.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I was in the dealership today, they fixed a problem with the hitch wiring. I asked the service guy about the latest stop sale/ recall or whatever it is. He said he'd been told it was a programming issue and they would be able to fix them in a week or so.
I put $500 down to hold a PRO-4X a week or so ago. A last saturday the salesman said on the phone they got the "part" in to fix the truck and it'd be ready by Monday or Tuesday. Salesman is Low Level btw. Then Monday he tells me that Nissan says the problem is a programming error and that he wasn't exactly sure what the ''fix'' was until it was clarified to him. He messages me today (Wednesday) and says Nissan has told them they're going to release the programming fix next week now.

So anyways, what i'm gathering is this guy is saying ECU or TCU needs a programming update to resolve the issue and that the "fix" is just around the corner. I'm really not sure what to believe from this guy but everything i've seen suggests its a mechanical error.

Here's the Text Message from Him Today:
Light Font Screenshot Communication Device Technology

• Helpful
Reactions: GreyFox
221 - 240 of 300 Posts