Nissan Frontier Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
That seems like a good price! I assume that's before taxes? I was quoted something close to that for a King Cab version, but after tax it ballooned right back up to around the sticker price.

The warranties can be hit or miss. I've heard they do anything to deny a claim that should have been covered, but I've also known people who saved thousands because they had one of those extended warranties. If the peace of mind helps you, then I say go for it. Personally, I take that money I would have spent on the warranty and put it into my emergency fund.

I didn't even bother looking at a Dodge, but I've heard you can get one in the outgoing body style for well below MSRP. It was a tempting thought, but based on past experiences with the brand, I didn't even ask dealers for a quote.
Oh yeah that was before taxes :) I should have been more clear. Good point about the warranty.

His Dodge is a nice looking truck for sure. He has the V6.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Oh yeah that was before taxes :)
If that was after tax, it would have been the deal of the century! lol

One thing I've noticed is that in my area, many vehicles are priced just enough below MSRP to offset the sales tax. In other words, that $25,000 stickered vehicle is "sale" priced at or below $23,500, seemingly just to compensate for the $1,500 in sales tax. Although there are exceptions, I consider anything below that threshold to be a good deal for this market.

·
Registered
32 Posts
This is all good information. My main hesitation remains this though! Should I proceed with a 15 year old technology or go with newer technology. Perhaps 2021 Fronty will have the answer! Reliability from what I gathered has improved on the late model Fronty.
There are plenty in ST.Louis at the dealers. a PRO-4 are selling at $28-32,000 new. if that helps. Maybe a dealer where you are can swap vehicles for you. I did not want to pay about $10,000 more for the new make over . I like this style just fine. Good Luck.

·
Registered
225 Posts
This is all good information. My main hesitation remains this though! Should I proceed with a 15 year old technology or go with newer technology. Perhaps 2021 Fronty will have the answer! Reliability from what I gathered has improved on the late model Fronty.
Unfortunately, there isn't much info about the upcoming Frontier yet, at least nothing official. Mostly just a mixture of conflicting information cobbled together from rumors, speculation, and educated guesses. The most recent information I've heard is that it is going to be more of a big update to the current platform rather than a clean sheet redesign, so this 3rd generation sounds like it might be closer to a generation 2.5.

If that's the case, it won't be quite as risky as buying a completely new design, but I suspect it will have a new transmission with more speeds to match the competition, probably paired to a newer engine as well. So there will be some risks there. And obviously the sheetmetal and interior won't scream 2005 so it could be better looking depending on your preference, but it also might end up looking like the squashed bug that is the latest Tacoma.

I'm not sure if Nissan is going to continue to build the old one into an extended model year or take a year off to retool, but there are probably still thousands left in nationwide inventory. If you aren't too concerned about color, trim levels, and options, you could wait until the 2021 shows up and still be able to grab one of the leftovers if that's more your style.

FWIW, I'm choosing to stick with the old technology.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Thank You all. Very good discussion and information I received. I do drive a 2005 Nismo Offroad King Cab with 6 speed MT. the only reason I was looking to get a crew cab so that my daughter can sit comfortably in the back seat. Otherwise, the truck is fine. I have just put all new suspension; new Catback exhaust and a new catalytical converter. I got it checked out not too long ago. Gas mileage is not great. Runs and drives very nice for a 14-year-old truck.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Unfortunately, there isn't much info about the upcoming Frontier yet, at least nothing official. Mostly just a mixture of conflicting information cobbled together from rumors, speculation, and educated guesses. The most recent information I've heard is that it is going to be more of a big update to the current platform rather than a clean sheet redesign, so this 3rd generation sounds like it might be closer to a generation 2.5.

If that's the case, it won't be quite as risky as buying a completely new design, but I suspect it will have a new transmission with more speeds to match the competition, probably paired to a newer engine as well. So there will be some risks there. And obviously the sheetmetal and interior won't scream 2005 so it could be better looking depending on your preference, but it also might end up looking like the squashed bug that is the latest Tacoma.

I'm not sure if Nissan is going to continue to build the old one into an extended model year or take a year off to retool, but there are probably still thousands left in nationwide inventory. If you aren't too concerned about color, trim levels, and options, you could wait until the 2021 shows up and still be able to grab one of the leftovers if that's more your style.

FWIW, I'm choosing to stick with the old technology.
You can look at the 2019 Novara and also what Nissan put out that the 2021 will look like at least the Navara I'm pretty sure it will get a newer grille and maybe 2 new engines one being a V8 maybe a diesel and one that would be a smaller one with a turboLook them up there are articles on the 2019 Navara and it is different than the Frontier with different grille and LED around the head lights and tail lights. I cant see them putting out all that money to change the canton plant and the plant in Canada while sales are still holding there own in the US.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts