Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nissan is making a push to add automatic emergency braking to the bulk of their 2018 vehicles, but the Frontier is not on the list:

Nissan makes big safety tech standard on most 2018 models

Pickup trucks seem to only get safety equipment after it's mandated by the government; for instance, my '93 Nissan came with head restraints (aka head rests) but no air bags. Light trucks were eight years behind cars in the requirement to have air bags.

·
Super Moderator
11,290 Posts
Collision avoidance overall makes you a worse driver as you have a false feeling of security. It's the same as people who live where drivers are supposed stop as soon as someone steps in the street, NEWS FLASH you may just step in front of a vehicle and get taken out just because you thought you were safe. Not all vehicles have the electronic do dads as not all vehicles are new and you can still get hit by a bicycle, motorcycle etc.
trucks are trucks and based on saving money unless mandated you won't get it.
Stay alert and you'll be far safer.

Clint

·
Premium Member
7,137 Posts
Automatic emergency braking will STALL a manual transmission equipped vehicle. Frontier, 370Z, etc...

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Collision avoidance overall makes you a worse driver as you have a false feeling of security. It's the same as people who live where drivers are supposed stop as soon as someone steps in the street, NEWS FLASH you may just step in front of a vehicle and get taken out just because you thought you were safe.
Slightly OT - but I'd like to see a study on whether the introduction of air bags and other safety equipment has resulted in a higher incidence of vehicle accidents, due to motorists feeling less vulnerable.

When you feel immortal, you tend to act immortal...

·
Registered
235 Posts
I've never agreed with the new suite of sensors and whizbang gadgets in new cars. Automatic braking, blind spot sensors, lane departure sensors, they all give a false sense of security and allow bad habits to develop. It seems like Nissan is aware of who is buying their trucks, and avoiding adding all the extra crap for a reason. And for that, I applaud them.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Blind spot sensors are the dumbest thing... Turn and look over your shoulder. I agree, all these drivers aids do is make people lazy.

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
I don't think people are less careless because of safety features. I think they are more concerned with the cost and headaches of an accident. rather than harm to themselves.
I have seen people jump their trucks, no helmet, cage, etc. I am sure they are not thinking, "If I end up on my head, everything will be ok since I have airbags".

·
Super Moderator
11,290 Posts
What happens to the brain trust who has a car in for service and then drives a car without these electronic nannies?
If you can't safely drive without all this crap, get off the road.
Now they talk about autonomous cars, were we the driving public ever considered or consulted it we want the risk to our families and selves with that crap out there? How do they work when snow and ice are covering the sensors?
Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket? This is the dumbing down of society.

Clint

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
I agree. There is a video with a person trying to hijack a car. He fails because he can not drive a stick.
Yes, the dumbing down is true. There is a commercial where a kid and his friend are stuck with a flat tire. The kid ask his friend "is this a lug wrench". Sad but true.
The upside? A lot more work for people in your occupation.
One safety addition I agree with is the ABS braking system. People say you can pump the brakes yourself but it is impossible during a panic braking situation. I learned how to go around things in my 83 Ford diesel.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't think this feature is a dumbing down of anything, and I don't believe people will use this feature instead of the brake pedal. I think it will help avoid minor accidents, especially in stop and go traffic where somebody stops short and the guy behind isn't quick enough. It sounds like the insurance companies are supporting this feature because it will save them money. I know I want the guy driving behind me to have this feature.

I think the reason that trucks are the last ones to get new safety features is because the mandatory safety rules for trucks are looser, apparently because of the agricultural industry. Seatbelt usage has only recently become the law for drivers of pickup trucks in Georgia. There's a small town in south Georgia I drive through that has a sign proudly stating a record of high seatbelt usage of 59%. It seems like if this brake feature will reduce the number of accidents then it might be viewed as a good thing.

How's this for a safety feature- technology that would prevent the driver of a car from talking on the telephone, even hands free? I know that people would scream bloody murder to have their precious phones put on hold, but I guarantee you it would make our roads safer and save lives.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Blind spot sensors are the dumbest thing... Turn and look over your shoulder. I agree, all these drivers aids do is make people lazy.
Auto makers like blind spot sensors (and rear view cameras), because it frees them of the need to design vehicles with good rear visibility. Basically, they can design purely for style, compensating for any blind spots with technology.

·
Registered
2020 Toyota 4runner TRDOR
4,593 Posts
The only times my ABS has ever activated is on soft dirt roads.
traction control lags just enough to make the truck stutter after it gets traction.
Never had blind spot monitoring, rarely use my camera other than to make sure I'm not over the line in a parking lot or hitch a trailer.
back up sonar is annoying as it is constantly chiming for a curb or wall, that gets turned off

·
Registered
731 Posts
Collision avoidance overall makes you a worse driver as you have a false feeling of security. It's the same as people who live where drivers are supposed stop as soon as someone steps in the street, NEWS FLASH you may just step in front of a vehicle and get taken out just because you thought you were safe. Not all vehicles have the electronic do dads as not all vehicles are new and you can still get hit by a bicycle, motorcycle etc.
trucks are trucks and based on saving money unless mandated you won't get it.
Stay alert and you'll be far safer.

Clint
Next thing you know, there will be pneumatic tires, so that you can't even feel the road. And windshield wipers! I mean, just don't drive in the rain. And hydraulic braking systems. What happens when they fail, what's wrong with mechanical brakes? And synchomesh transmissions, for the lazy. Along with electric starters. When will it all end?

Oh, and get off my lawn, all of this progress is killing me.

Vic

·
Super Moderator
11,290 Posts
Next thing you know, there will be pneumatic tires, so that you can't even feel the road. And windshield wipers! I mean, just don't drive in the rain. And hydraulic braking systems. What happens when they fail, what's wrong with mechanical brakes? And synchomesh transmissions, for the lazy. Along with electric starters. When will it all end?

Oh, and get off my lawn, all of this progress is killing me.

Vic
There is a point that many new things are rediculous.
Much of this translates into people can text and drive with less chance of a wreck. How about if these items malfunction and you wreck anyway? Bet the snowflakes run and sue.
so we really need heated steering wheels and rain sensing wipers and other fluff like that? That crap is on my car, Along with other unnecessary stuff.

Clint

Clint

·
Registered
219 Posts
The problem is that you can't fix stupid. It is possible to make them stupider though. My first thought about lots of safety features is the false sense of security it will give some people. Don't get me wrong, I think many safety features are great to have. Seatbelts and airbags obviously. Not that it makes you careless, but in the event of something happening, it minimizes the risk of injury. A backup camera and backup sensors are basically just an extra set of eyes that are helpful when backing out, which is a low speed thing anyway.

But something that is meant to actually step in and prevent a collision in the first place? Im 100% against that. As a driver, you need to be in control of your vehicle. You need to be aware of your surroundings. At my job I see many vehicle collisions. And it is a very rare thing to see one that was a true accident, (accident meaning it was in fact unavoidable). Most of the time, it was completely avoidable had the person just not been doing something stupid. I think that certain "safety" features will give many people a false sense of security, and make them think they can slack off behind the wheel, and that everything will be taken care of. Not all drivers of course.

There are many responsible drivers, who would benefit from such features. But I think there are many more who will just see that as a way to not have to be responsible. Drivers who will think that they can drive under the influence, because even with their slowed reaction time, the car's safety features will make up for their deficiencies. Many truths are a matter of perspective, and most people see the responsible driver scenario with a little assist to help in those rare eventualities. Maybe my perspective is a bit skewed because I just happen to always see the downside to people driving. But from what I see, people are eager to give up their responsibility and blame something else, or trust that their technology will protect them.

Many of us remember hearing our dads say "don't make me stop this car and go back there", because our parents knew to be careful. they didn't have all these safety nets. Maybe people need to go back to that mindset, forget your rush to get somewhere, and focus on getting there safely. If the kids are acting up, pull over and deal with it. Don't allow the distraction to endanger you.

Manufacturers and lawmakers are always trying to fix the machines. Maybe the problem is user error. Fix the user, and the machine might work better. Make a drivers license actually cost something that makes the driver value it. Imagine a system where a high school student had to put in a certain amount of community service in order to qualify for a driver's license... ok better stop now before i really get going...::grin:: Thats my rant for the day. Hope my perspective gives someone something to think about.

·
Super Moderator
11,290 Posts
These same fools think autonomous cars are the way to go. Mix them in with the millions of humans driving and weather conditions etc and see how badly it plays out. WE THE PEOPLE don't get a say in if they should be allowed on the road, it's GREEDY businesses and government a-holes in bed together.
It's ALWAYS about the MONEY, we are just pee ons in the big game of life.
Just look at how freaked out many are about the president, he's upsetting their apple cart because he's not going along with the "it's always been done this way" mindset.

Clint

·
Premium Member
7,137 Posts
What happens when on roads w/ no lane markings? Or, when in construction zones where all the lines are uber-confusing?

TOO MANY folks these days are in constant search/NEED for scapegoats to account for their mistakes & indiscretions.

·
Registered
795 Posts
You know what I look forward to? Self driving cars on icy roads.... I don't think you can program a computer for that. Especially if it's patchy ice.

Too much of the self-driving stuff relies on reacting to other vehicles around you. But at 2am on a country road, your cars computer doesn't get to see another car hit that patch of ice first. It might assume the speed limit is just fine, when reality is you should be driving a lot slower.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts