Nissan Frontier Forum banner

21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,113 Posts
What are some of the known issues? I saw something here about potential clutch problems, is that in general or constant trailering or offroading in high range when low would be better? Only trailering I'd be doing would be occasionally transporting my polaris ranger [1200lb + 800lb trailer] and that's it. I saw something else about leaf springs being overloaded easily. Is that just too much weight or the springs fail and "W"? Sorry for all the questions, never had a midsized truck so im not sure of that their capacities vs half tons im used to.
Clutch life will vary depending upon driving style and some luck as well.
Our factory leaf springs are a bit of a weak point especially if one tows/hauls often. I haul and replaced mine w/ heavier duty units which coincidentally improved my truck's ride quality whether loaded or unloaded. YMMV

·
Registered
387 Posts
In regards to offroad performance the only reason to buy a Pro4X is if you feel you NEED the e-locker. Thats the only thing that you can’t easily add on your own for far less than what Nissan is charging you.

The bells and whistles and trim type things is obviously a personal taste, but again, just with regard to off road type capability, the Pro4X is just giving you the locker. You can spend a day and about 1500-2000 bucks and get far better tires, better shocks, and better skids than the pro4x.

This is obviously a biased post, I have a Frontier S model with manual transmission, M226 rear diff, 4wd, and absolutely love that thing because it has almost no bells and whistles yet 95%(90%? 97%?) of a Pro4X off road capability at 2/3’s of the price.

·
Premium Member
4,934 Posts
In regards to offroad performance the only reason to buy a Pro4X is if you feel you NEED the e-locker. Thats the only thing that you can’t easily add on your own for far less than what Nissan is charging you.

The bells and whistles and trim type things is obviously a personal taste, but again, just with regard to off road type capability, the Pro4X is just giving you the locker. You can spend a day and about 1500-2000 bucks and get far better tires, better shocks, and better skids than the pro4x.

This is obviously a biased post, I have a Frontier S model with manual transmission, M226 rear diff, 4wd, and absolutely love that thing because it has almost no bells and whistles yet 95%(90%? 97%?) of a Pro4X off road capability at 2/3’s of the price.
That's going to be a little more than $1500 to $2000......

·
Registered
38 Posts
That's going to be a little more than $1500 to $2000......
I still think a loaded Pro 4X is not a bad value when you compare it to a Ranger lariat or Tacoma offroad. Its not just better tires, better shocks, and better skids for a few thousand more on a S. Its one of the few trims (outside a very rare SL) to offer full leather and 8 way power seat with lumbar support. Then you have the 10 speaker Rockford fosgate with sub which was important for me. I've owned a pathfinder with just the 6 speaker stereo and definitely wanted something better then that. Then you have the dual climate control which is really handy when I drive around with my wife. Pretty sure the S doesn't have that. Then the high quality bed liner standard with utility track. Also the sunroof which I use almost daily. Ford/GM doesn't even offer it. The premium bundle is reasonable when you consider all that Nissan includes with it. Especially when you compare it to the ridiculously expensive Ranger bundles which are nothing short of a hot mess. Then you take in the fact that one can get big discounts off the MSRP. In my case, got it 2700 below MSRP. Also got the dealer to throw out the doc fee and they charged me ZERO to bring it in from another state. 35K out the door. Add NM sales/title and 100K 10 year bumper to bumper transferable warranty with no Deductibles I paid 38K. That deal cannot be matched by Ford/Toy/GM. Not even remotely so. A fully loaded LT/Z71 with leather or tacoma offroad with premium package would have cost nearly 40K before tax/title. Both would have cost me over 5K more with a warranty not even half as good. If you compare it to the Ranger its 10K more to get something this capable and with leather/audio upgrade options. So the Pro 4X may seem like allot of money when you compare it to other Frontier trims. But when you compare it to the competition, it can be a great value.

The good thing it's considered the most reliable in segment. And still a great truck. But dealers know that customers won't pay MSRP for it being its such an old design. Consequently, larger discounts are generally much easier to get on the Pro 4X. Even though they will try to get it. Pretty much all you have to tell them is if I pay nearly 38K MSRP for a pro 4X I might as well just go with the newer Tacoma offroad. If I'm going to buy this very dated truck you will have to make it worth my while. And they know they have no choice but to start offering heavy discounts to move the truck. My experience in negotiating for a a Colorado or taco did not go so well. Dealers don't offer nearly as much discounts and it obvious they don't feel like they need to.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Having purchased my New 2018 SV 4x4 a few months ago and now with about 6k miles on the odometer, here is a list of items which if I could make it perfect, I would change:

I would have purchased the long bed.

I would love to have the roof rack of the Pro4x.

The headlights suck in the Frontier, so if you can wait until the new model...wait! Hopefully they will improve those babies.

No desire to have a manual again.... too old and my legs hurt and I am still in traffic.
::smile::

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Between the SV VTP and the Pro-4X, the only differences are that the Pro-4X has the Dana 44 hybrid rear axle with an e-locker, skid plates (stamped steel but better than nothing), driver's side lumbar adjustment in the seat, different axle gearing, 265/75/16 tires and...I think that's it.

If you're not planning on a ton of off-roading, I'd just get whatever the best deal you can come across. For me, I just have a 4x4 as a matter of convenience...like a "get yourself unstuck without going outside" switch. I am impressed with the ABS limited slip. Thought it was a gimmick but it actually does help when you're teetering with a wheel in the air.

Can't remember which shade of blue it was, but there's a thread around here about blue trucks having paint peeling. Might want to read up on that.
Seats have stitching and badges and gauges are white not black.
Ya wish I had the white gauges.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
What are some of the known issues? I saw something here about potential clutch problems, is that in general or constant trailering or offroading in high range when low would be better? Only trailering I'd be doing would be occasionally transporting my polaris ranger [1200lb + 800lb trailer] and that's it. I saw something else about leaf springs being overloaded easily. Is that just too much weight or the springs fail and "W"? Sorry for all the questions, never had a midsized truck so im not sure of that their capacities vs half tons im used to.
Clutch life will vary depending upon driving style and some luck as well.
Our factory leaf springs are a bit of a weak point especially if one tows/hauls often. I haul and replaced mine w/ heavier duty units which coincidentally improved my truck's ride quality whether loaded or unloaded. YMMV
What springs did you use? I'm not looking to replace yet (only 19k) but I do haul a tt with a dry weight of 4400 lbs. and a tongue wet of just under 600#. Not expecting to get more than 40k out of the oe springs.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Between the SV VTP and the Pro-4X, the only differences are that the Pro-4X has the Dana 44 hybrid rear axle with an e-locker, skid plates (stamped steel but better than nothing), driver's side lumbar adjustment in the seat, different axle gearing, 265/75/16 tires and...I think that's it.

If you're not planning on a ton of off-roading, I'd just get whatever the best deal you can come across. For me, I just have a 4x4 as a matter of convenience...like a "get yourself unstuck without going outside" switch. I am impressed with the ABS limited slip. Thought it was a gimmick but it actually does help when you're teetering with a wheel in the air.

Can't remember which shade of blue it was, but there's a thread around here about blue trucks having paint peeling. Might want to read up on that.
The gearing is the same according to Nissan's information.

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Thank's for the replies so far. The p4 is really just a better looking truck to me and i like the gauges, the tires are what i use anyway so wouldn't have to buy tires, and i do like the graphite seats. I can tell ya, i won't buy the leather models. Definitely agree it's a value. I looked at several newer trucks similar to my trucks trim level and they were all 50k plus. No thanks. After looking at several frontiers online i like them and they're affordable. I also don't mind the "aging" design. It's got most bugs worked out, a reliable engine, and a decent interior. Also, they don't have that stupid cylinder cutoff crap. As far as hauling, the only thing i really keep in the bed is two 14' tow chains I've had for about 15 years so I'm not worried about collapsed leaves just yet. I really appreciate all your replies and insight as im not familiar at all with smaller pickups. Always had a 1/2 ton GM models but am put out with the hideous designs and pricing.

·
Premium Member
5,113 Posts
What springs did you use? I'm not looking to replace yet (only 19k) but I do haul a tt with a dry weight of 4400 lbs. and a tongue wet of just under 600#. Not expecting to get more than 40k out of the oe springs.
I replaced my factory leaf springs at 38k a little over a year ago. I anticipated the new heavy duty springs to sag some (they lifted the rear 1.5"), but surprisingly they have not. I'm currently a little over 49k miles. Very happy w/ improved ride quality.
Price is per leaf spring:
https://www.generalspringkc.com/product_p/69-285hd.htm

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Anyone have the moonroof option? If so, any problems with it? Im starting to lean towards just getting an SV CC 4X4 VTP with moonroof and call it good. Then just build it up however i want.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Excuse my questions if they have been previously answered but I'm unable to find the answers in the wealth of info here.
I have a 1999 frontier with 318k+ miles on it ready for a new timing belt and has a rear main seal leak too. Instead of paying to have these items fixed I feel I should invest in a newer frontier. I will not buy new so am hoping to find a 2011 - 2013 model. Would love to have the pro-4x but they are hard to find in my price range. I've always owned a manual as well so looking for the same mostly because I live on a really steep hill that ices up in the winter.
So, my questions: I've read that the 05-'10 models have had the timing chain burrs that cut into the guides; is this the same for the '11 and up models? Also for the leaking radiators into the trannys, did the problems for this get resolved in 2011? The rear axle seals issue (with the axle vent) is this still an issue for the '11 and up models? Has the clutch system been upgraded for the 2011 and up models?
Is there any known common issues in either the auto or manual trucks 2011 or 2012?
Thanks in advance for anyone's help. Hoping to buy in the next month.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Anyone have the moonroof option? If so, any problems with it? Im starting to lean towards just getting an SV CC 4X4 VTP with moonroof and call it good. Then just build it up however i want.
I have an '18 SV CC 4x4 VTP, but no moonroof (I like the extra headroom without it), and trust me - it doesn't feel like a penalty box compared to the P4x, which I also tested. The P4 is a very special and awesome truck for SURE, but it's unique virtues weren't important to me, and so I couldn't justify the surcharge for it. Also - I could have bought any truck on the market, price wasn't necessarily a consideration, but Value to me is. I love Nissan trucks, and I truly believe the SV as I spec'd it represents the best value you can buy in a non-off road edition truck. Good luck on your decision.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Thanks guys. We went and test drove an sv and really liked it. Acceleration was smooth and i didn't feel like motor really worked hard getting up to highway speed. Seats are great, my son was a little cramped but we didn't have him in the middle seat. My wife and i both liked it, ride was good etc but are curious about size. Has anyone ever gotten one and regretted it being a true midsize and wished they'd gotten something different? Im coming from always having a half ton so it'll be smaller than im used to anyways. I really appreciate all the replies.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Thanks guys. We went and test drove an sv and really liked it. Acceleration was smooth and i didn't feel like motor really worked hard getting up to highway speed. Seats are great, my son was a little cramped but we didn't have him in the middle seat. My wife and i both liked it, ride was good etc but are curious about size. Has anyone ever gotten one and regretted it being a true midsize and wished they'd gotten something different? Im coming from always having a half ton so it'll be smaller than im used to anyways. I really appreciate all the replies.
I've owned a few 1/2 tons and my first "midsize" truck was a Taco. A 1989 model, standard cab, 4 cylinder, 4 spd, Loved it. Owned a few of those then an 02 Dakota then an 04 Colorado. Went from that to my first Frontier an 06 and never looked back. Great truck, great value. Look at the overall profile of the new big 3 midsized truck. They look similar to our 14 yr old design. I bought a new truck a yr ago, damn, it's been a yr already? And I love it. Size suits me fine and our boys really don't ride with us anywhere anymore. Plus we've always had a family vehicle.
I'm sure you'll enjoy this truck as much as most everyone here.
Good luck with where ever your purchases you.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I've owned a few 1/2 tons and my first "midsize" truck was a Taco. A 1989 model, standard cab, 4 cylinder, 4 spd, Loved it. Owned a few of those then an 02 Dakota then an 04 Colorado. Went from that to my first Frontier an 06 and never looked back. Great truck, great value. Look at the overall profile of the new big 3 midsized truck. They look similar to our 14 yr old design. I bought a new truck a yr ago, damn, it's been a yr already? And I love it. Size suits me fine and our boys really don't ride with us anywhere anymore. Plus we've always had a family vehicle.
I'm sure you'll enjoy this truck as much as most everyone here.
Good luck with where ever your purchases you.
Thanks. My wife has a Rogue we drive almost everywhere we go because my sons carseat fits much better. Mostly it'll be just me in it but it'd be nice to take my vehicle more.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I also have a 2018 arctic blue sv with 20k on it and no issues with the paint chipping. I too live on those tar and pea gravel roads, with lots of gravel thrown in for good measure.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I had a 06 Tacoma which the Frontier is very similar in size. Switched to a 09 Ram 1500 Quad. Decided I wanted a mid size again. Purchased a 16 Pro. Love it.

That said the new GMC twins and the Toyota Tacoma are slightly larger than the Frontier. Not so much in cab space, but in body length. I prefer the smaller size of the Frontier. No regrets.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I also have a 2018 arctic blue sv with 20k on it and no issues with the paint chipping. I too live on those tar and pea gravel roads, with lots of gravel thrown in for good measure.
I have a graphite blue which is very similar to arctic blue. From what I've read here, it's the electric blue which has paint peeling issues. Too bad as it's one of the best colors.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Hi guys, been a while. Got to thinking, has anyone ever leased a Frontier? I saw Nissan has a 289/mo lease on SV 4x4 VTP trucks and it's an interesting idea and would give me time to build up cash to buy with or move on if I decide I dont like the truck. And id end a brand new truck out of the deal. I just know nothing about leasing vehicles. Thanks!

21 - 40 of 69 Posts