Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as I mentioned in my new member post, I'm looking at getting a new(er) truck early next year, but started searching now to get an idea of what I want and cost. I've focused on the PRO4X models but I'm not really sure I "need" that model or just want it. At a minimum it'd be an Arctic Blue (not negotiable ::smile::) CC SV 4X4 with VTP. Ive read the SV's have a traction system that limits open diff spin? For me this will be a long term ownership vehicle so I don't want scrimp on truck just to save a buck. Also has anyone gotten the M/T and regretted it?

So, what all are the differences in an SV CC 4x4 w/VTP vs a PRO4X? I do know the P4 has Hankook Dynapro ATMs stock, which I have and really like these tires.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Between the SV VTP and the Pro-4X, the only differences are that the Pro-4X has the Dana 44 hybrid rear axle with an e-locker, skid plates (stamped steel but better than nothing), driver's side lumbar adjustment in the seat, different axle gearing, 265/75/16 tires and...I think that's it.

If you're not planning on a ton of off-roading, I'd just get whatever the best deal you can come across. For me, I just have a 4x4 as a matter of convenience...like a "get yourself unstuck without going outside" switch. I am impressed with the ABS limited slip. Thought it was a gimmick but it actually does help when you're teetering with a wheel in the air.

Can't remember which shade of blue it was, but there's a thread around here about blue trucks having paint peeling. Might want to read up on that.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
The Pro4 also has the EBC "limited slip" brake differential / traction control system, skid plates ( okay for light offroading ), specific 16" wheels with larger tires ( taller ) and the electric locking rear HD ( M226 Dana ) differential ( which is Pro4 unique ), which is a genuine locker and doesn't use the ABS for any sort of traction control trickery. Also the bed has sprayed in liner which is quite tough and durable. I think that's the highlights. The VTP ( which I have ) gets you the dual automatic climate control and embroidered leather heated electric adjustable seats. Typically the higher option content the higher retained value but that only matters if you ever plan on trading.
Edit: I forgot about the Bilstein shocks.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Between the SV VTP and the Pro-4X, the only differences are that the Pro-4X has the Dana 44 hybrid rear axle with an e-locker, skid plates (stamped steel but better than nothing), driver's side lumbar adjustment in the seat, different axle gearing, 265/75/16 tires and...I think that's it.

If you're not planning on a ton of off-roading, I'd just get whatever the best deal you can come across. For me, I just have a 4x4 as a matter of convenience...like a "get yourself unstuck without going outside" switch. I am impressed with the ABS limited slip. Thought it was a gimmick but it actually does help when you're teetering with a wheel in the air.

Can't remember which shade of blue it was, but there's a thread around here about blue trucks having paint peeling. Might want to read up on that.
I dont plan on doing alot of offroading just yet. I'm wanting to start going to offroad parks with my 05 polaris ranger and later might go offroading some with the truck. I did see a video that TFL Truck put on youtube and the limited slip seemed to work well for the frontier compared to the other truck. Ill definitely keep that in mind.

The Pro4 also has the EBC "limited slip" brake differential / traction control system, skid plates ( okay for light offroading ), specific 16" wheels with larger tires ( taller ) and the electric locking rear HD ( M226 Dana ) differential ( which is Pro4 unique ), which is a genuine locker and doesn't use the ABS for any sort of traction control trickery. Also the bed has sprayed in liner which is quite tough and durable. I think that's the highlights. The VTP ( which I have ) gets you the dual automatic climate control and embroidered leather heated electric adjustable seats. Typically the higher option content the higher retained value but that only matters if you ever plan on trading.

The liner would be nice and I do like the p4 rims better. The tires are what I currently have on my Z71 which have done well and wear well, for me at least. The Frontier will be either driven until it's worn out or my 2 yr old is old enough to drive and he can have it.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I dont plan on doing alot of offroading just yet. I'm wanting to start going to offroad parks with my 05 polaris ranger and later might go offroading some with the truck. I did see a video that TFL Truck put on youtube and the limited slip seemed to work well for the frontier compared to the other truck. Ill definitely keep that in mind.

The liner would be nice and I do like the p4 rims better. The tires are what I currently have on my Z71 which have done well and wear well, for me at least. The Frontier will be either driven until it's worn out or my 2 yr old is old enough to drive and he can have it.
If you purchase the SV with the Value Truck option package you get a host of great options including the spray in bed liner, util-trak system, tow package, heated seats and dual AC control and more. Keep in mind that the electric locker in the P4X is only available in 4L and is speed limited. So if your really not gonna use the truck off road for much it is just gonna be an unused costly option in my opinion. You can always get the P4X rims too, that's what I did with mine.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you purchase the SV with the Value Truck option package you get a host of great options including the spray in bed liner, util-trak system, tow package, heated seats and dual AC control and more. Keep in mind that the electric locker in the P4X is only available in 4L and is speed limited. So if your really not gonna use the truck off road for much it is just gonna be an unused costly option in my opinion. You can always get the P4X rims too, that's what I did with mine.
Thank you, I wasn't sure of all the options the value package had. Been looking up these things to the point my head hurts haha. One thing I do like seeing here is owners with 2-300k or more miles and not alot of problems. I've found a plethora of trucks for sale and the SV's are thousands cheaper with most of the options I want.

·
Premium Member
5,117 Posts
Also has anyone gotten the M/T and regretted it?
Are you referring to the 6-sp manual transmission? IF so, the VTP items come standard w/ the CC SV 4x4 6-sp...as there is no VTP option available.

https://ppg.nissanproduct.info

If you want the 6-sp, I highly doubt you'll regret it. It adds a ton of flair & fun to your driving experience. However, it is not a sports car shifter, it requires deliberate shifting. Test drive one if you can. I did, and I was sold - and factory ordered my '15. More smiles/mile guaranteed! The snarls b/tw shifts are priceless.

·
Registered
720 Posts
My SV isn't a VTP truck. Only thing I really wish that it had that's going to be a pain to add is the backup camera.

·
Registered
51 Posts
My SV isn't a VTP truck. Only thing I really wish that it had that's going to be a pain to add is the backup camera.
I was in the same boat, it's really not that hard to add a backup camera. I used the Auto Vox T2 kit, has a plate mounted camera and replacement rear view mirror that fits perfectly. Works great!

·
Registered
4 Posts

Seats have stitching and badges and gauges are white not black.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I was in the same boat, it's really not that hard to add a backup camera. I used the Auto Vox T2 kit, has a plate mounted camera and replacement rear view mirror that fits perfectly. Works great!
I'm trying to put mine into the OE position. Problem is, the factory satellite/display non-touchscreen radio can control a camera properly, but it puts out 6V to power it, not 12V like the aftermarket camera.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Are you referring to the 6-sp manual transmission? IF so, the VTP items come standard w/ the CC SV 4x4 6-sp...as there is no VTP option available.

https://ppg.nissanproduct.info

If you want the 6-sp, I highly doubt you'll regret it. It adds a ton of flair & fun to your driving experience. However, it is not a sports car shifter, it requires deliberate shifting. Test drive one if you can. I did, and I was sold - and factory ordered my '15. More smiles/mile guaranteed! The snarls b/tw shifts are priceless.
Yes. I've wanted a manual for a while just never bought one. Just looked at Nissanusa.com and I see what you mean by the CC SV 4X4 comes with what all I really want if its a 6 spd. Things to mull over I guess. We had a 5 spd brush truck at my old FD and it was a blast to drive that beast.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Not sure if interior color makes a difference to you, but it's worth noting. Pro4X gets the graphite interior whereas the SV gets either the steel or beige.

·
Premium Member
9,774 Posts
Yes. I've wanted a manual for a while just never bought one. Just looked at Nissanusa.com and I see what you mean by the CC SV 4X4 comes with what all I really want if its a 6 spd. Things to mull over I guess. We had a 5 spd brush truck at my old FD and it was a blast to drive that beast.
My 6 speed frontier was my favorite out of the five Frontiers I owned, if Nissan would build me another long bed crew cab I’d be driving that instead of the Titan.
What a great combo.

Clint

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Seems like engines hold up well, but what about transmissions? If i got an auto, how well do they hold up? Do you have to adjust clutch much? I think im going to get a 6 speed manual in either trim.

Now this is just a curiosity thing, but can you trick the 4wd system to have 2wd LOW range? On my current truck i can buy pulling fuse for front diff and shift t case into low. It's useful for backing trailers up hills.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What are some of the known issues? I saw something here about potential clutch problems, is that in general or constant trailering or offroading in high range when low would be better? Only trailering I'd be doing would be occasionally transporting my polaris ranger [1200lb + 800lb trailer] and that's it. I saw something else about leaf springs being overloaded easily. Is that just too much weight or the springs fail and "W"? Sorry for all the questions, never had a midsized truck so im not sure of that their capacities vs half tons im used to.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I would get the loaded Pro 4X with premium package. The reason being that gets you the most updates on a rather old truck. And you can deal with these. I got mine for 35K out the door. Still 5K less then a Taco or Colorado that has all the leather, locker etc... and over 10 thousand less then a ranger lariat. I would not consider anything less then a pro 4X with the F-Alpha platform. The rest look really dated IMO.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts