Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys iv been wanting to get something 4x4 for a long time. Well i have found something fairly close and reasonable i think. I found this 06 X offroad package with 33k miles. Everything seems perfect about it except i dont know how happy i will be with the manuel transmission... I can drive a stick no problem (learned to drive on one but never had to drive one everyday) but think it may get annoying after awhile. What do you all think about going to trade in my 06 frontier LE for this X? Should i hold out and wait for something better to come along? I love my truck but really want something 4wd. If they will swap straight out i believe i will go along, my vehicle is worth 3,000bucks more than what they are asking for theirs....

heres a link to the X
Cars for Sale: 2006 Nissan Xterra 4x4 in Fort Lauderdale, FL 33312: Sport Utility Details - 275040136 - AutoTrader.com wheel drive&default_sort=priceDESC&seller_type=b&max_mileage=45000&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address=34997&advanced=y&end_year=2011&doors=&transmission=&max_price=&cardist=70&standard=false

and here is mine, 3inch lift, 33's, tint, leather, bed cover, auto trans

·
Registered
424 Posts
Once you get used to clutch, shift, gas... clutch, shift, gas... brake, clutch, down shift, clutch, shift, gas... yada, yada, yada. It ain't bad, but it does make stop and go traffic SUCK!!

If a dealer is going to trade you straight up, and yours is worth $3K more, then you better keep and eye on them cause they want to make another $3k on you somehow! Just my opinion.

PS - if you are going to trade yours in, let's swap seats first!! I want the leather!

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
My 2cents is to pass. Keep what you have a buy a trail rig.

The manual is nice since FL is pretty flat but it will suck in traffic and whenever an old/young person cuts you off.

Also, wheeling the manual for a novice wheeler has a down side, you will piss thru clutches/flywheels.

I wonder how much it would cost you to find a front diff w/ axles and an atlas Tcase with a 4wd trans tail housing? This with custom driveshafts and 4wd hubs, you could be good to go. This way you have the 4x4 and its selectable.

The one good side to the manual X is that it has the m226 rear so you could put the ARB locker in it if you want to.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i thought that people had tried in the past to make a 2wd into a 4wd and the general consensis was to just got buy a 4wd? Maybe if i could find an m226 i could be happy with that... But this would require custom drive shafts and there is no where around here that i know of that would make those...

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
The 2wd to 4wd conversion on the 2nd gens was pretty much impossible with the OEM Tcase but once Atlas released their Tcase, it made it possible.

You have to get the correct tail housing from the 4wd trans to bolt up the Tcase but it should be possible. You also have to add an additional mount for the front diff and get 4wd hubs, but it should be possible now.

·
Registered
16,551 Posts
the issue with the atlas is that with the super low range and the lack of gears+week diffs your gonna be snapping axles and CVs quite a bit.

keep the 2wd and get a toy, that way you have a reliable DD and something to play with that you dont care if it sits for a weeks while you fix something you broke. Last time i check fla has lots of mud. you dont want carpet if thats what your wheeling it, the smell will never go away. Jeeps are cheep to work on and mod, as are toyotas.

why do you need 4x4 in fla in your DD?

·
Registered
578 Posts
i would jump all over that x its pretty sick. I think you'll enjoy the 6speed they're a lot of fun to drive. and less problems/maintenance then an auto

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I have heard the 6 speed is money, all sorts of currency. If I could change out one thing on my truck it would be to have the 6 speed, I love it. I got the auto as I bought a 08 with lots of 09's on the lot, and had to choose between SE white or Black to get a killer price that I wanted.
I wouldn't go through all the work to convert it. If you want 4x4 with a truck like yours, just swap em out. Consider looking at frontiers in your area that are 4x4 as well, never know what might pop up.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Hmmm, its says on that post its a 5 speed manual. Are the X's 5 speeds?

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
If you drive traffic to work and home at stop n go then I would say steer clear of a manual trans, but if not go for it. If I had to go to work daily I would no way get an MT but I don't so my next Fronty I want a MT, not an auto.

My 05 was amazing off road BEFORE I put the locking rear end on it.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
bamps, how could i get a dana 44 into mine? what would the specs be? if all i wanted to run were 33's what do i want to look for?

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
bamps, how could i get a dana 44 into mine? what would the specs be? if all i wanted to run were 33's what do i want to look for?
I broke my C200 axle housing and found a Nismo off road axle in a wrecking yard. Bolted right up and then I wired it up. The locking diffs don't hender, it IMPROVED by a long shot. Off Road performance is even MORE awesome than before.

you'll have to lift it at least 2.5 inches to run 33's.

I ran 285/75 R16's and I had 305/70 R16' before too

285 are 32.80" diameter by 11.22 wide.

the 305's are 32.81 by 12"

·
Registered
770 Posts
Do it, but get some $ for your truck.

·
Registered
874 Posts
AT vs MT is a personal preference, if you had to ask about it there is a concern, go with what you feel. Do lots of homework on that X though and the dealer, S. FL used dealers are notorious for selling s*** that has been trashed, beaten, repo'd, etc.

·
Registered
325 Posts
the issue with the atlas is that with the super low range and the lack of gears+week diffs your gonna be snapping axles and CVs quite a bit.

keep the 2wd and get a toy, that way you have a reliable DD and something to play with that you dont care if it sits for a weeks while you fix something you broke. Last time i check fla has lots of mud. you dont want carpet if thats what your wheeling it, the smell will never go away. Jeeps are cheep to work on and mod, as are toyotas.

why do you need 4x4 in fla in your DD?
There's your answer.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts