Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, looking for a bit of advice here. I think this is my first post, but I've been a member now for a few years, I do a lot of lurking. I own a 2005 Nissan Frontier nismo. I've had it a few years now and love the truck. Customized to everything I need it for and it's reliable, looks good, and drives great.

I'm facing an issue right now, I'm currently deployed overseas with the military, and my brother has been driving the truck from time to time. Before I left, almost a year ago, I noticed the rust starting to accumulate on the roof, right above the windshield. Nothing serious, but when we got a bad storm, it would come through the dome light and collect on the mud mats on the floor. I'm used to driving old vws so a little bit of water never really scared me. However, the problem has become much worse in recent months, and it was just taken in for inspection and my mehanic said before you put another dime into this truck, you have to fix the leak.

After talking to some friends, and mechanics, and body shop guys, everyone said this is gonna be expensive...pull the window, fix the rust, possibly a new roof skin, seal, replace windshield, paint. Now, for a 12 year old truck that seems like a bit much.

Like I said before, the truck runs great and best part is, it's paid for, I was really hoping to have it for another few years and not take on another truck payment while I may deploy again.

I'll figure out how to upload some pics on here, but in the meantime, anyone else been down this road? Any advice? And this isn't how I normally fix things, but is there a goop, or a tape that I can use to get me by for a few more years?

I'm starting to look at other trucks now to buy and it just seems silly being that this one, other than the leak, is a perfect truck.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I can't see that costing less than $1500 to repair, with the paint job being about half the cost.

Honestly, 12 years is a long life for a vehicle, so you probably got your money's worth out of it.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Think I'd use some pure silicone caulk - nice layer overlapping from good paint to glass - make sure edges a sealed. Could do whole top of w/s. After silicone cured - maybe some wide Gorilla tape also overlapping to protect the silicone. May not look too pretty but should keep water out and prevent further damage.

Oh = and when I read topic I had to wonder - front windshield vs which other windshield??

·
Premium Member
5,748 Posts
Is it holes or scabs? I have a friend with a 1st gen Xterra that had similar issue. No holes, just bubbly scabs in the window frame area. He paid a glass guy cash to come out and remove his windshield. He then spent a few days grinding and repainting the windshield frame area. He then called the Glass guy back up and he came back out and reinstalled the windshield. The guy had to use extra adhesive to set the glass back in and did not guarantee a leak free seal, but, all came out fine. If you call an independant glass guy and offer cash and tell him you can fit his schedule, he will probably do it cheaper.

ALso, as far as paint, all my friend did was use satin black rattle cans, taped a line back about 6" and painted the whole strip. It blends in with the roof rack and basket and all that up on the roof. It actually looks like OEM as from the ground, you can't see the whole roof anyway.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can't see that costing less than $1500 to repair, with the paint job being about half the cost.

Honestly, 12 years is a long life for a vehicle, so you probably got your money's worth out of it.

Only owned it for a little over two years now. Body shops have quoted me double. Here's a few pics....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yup. That actually looks better than what my friend dealt with. I would do as I talked about above. On a 12 year old truck, no need for show quality paint.

Thanks man, I've pondered this approach myself, it's probably worth a shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
85 Posts
You might want to try Flex Seal. I've never used it but it may be worth a try. You could coat the entire roof and it comes in black. The thing with rust is if you can encapsulate it & prevent it oxygen from getting to it, you stop it from getting worse. Rust expands 10 times so a lot of times the rust blooms make it look worse than what it is. Below is a link to Walmart & it's like $83 a gallon. Good luck!

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Flex-Seal-Liquid-Gallon-Black/

1 - 8 of 8 Posts