Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok my bearing went out on the passenger side.
I lifted the truck and went off road a lot. I even go off in to the dirt to pass on the roads and jump back on so I really can't complain that it went out at only 43K

but I am curious if any of you can explain what the hell some electric wires are coming from that hub assmb? and is that why it costs so much?

my god thats a big jump from the old days when I used to pop in some bearings on my stupidbeetle

(71 flat windshield, which I loved until the day I got rear ended and slammed in to a truck in front of me crushing my baby)

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Those wires are for the ABS sensors. That is probably why it is so expensive.

I have to ask thou, how do you pass on the dirt and at what speeds?
well, I live in Lake Elsinore now and they have a lot of roads that have dirt all next to them and if people are in my way, I just head off to the dirt and keep hauling *** until I'm around them and back on the road.
I'd say between 10 MPH and up to 55MPH I mean nothing like 90 MPH or anything! ;)

ahh ABS sensor, Ok that makes sense I guess. I never knew exactly how those things worked. Well they sure do cost a lot more then bearings in the old days!

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
The ABS sensors a a bit wired but my crude understanding is that there is a sprocket and a sensor which counts the teeth. If the count does not match between all 4 wheels, it starts to kick in and tries to keep the truck under control.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
jiust curious how much are the bearings. make sure you change both of them

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
On our trucks, it is a sealed unit, which is why it costs so much. There are no bearings that you can touch, like in the old days. YOu simply unbolt the old assembly and replace it with the new assembly. NO GREASE!

·
Registered
556 Posts
Unit bearings = thumbs-down. They make it really cheap and easy to manufacture and assemble but expensive and non-serviceable once the warranty is out! Wonderful manufacturers are only in the business of selling cars/trucks.

·
Registered
721 Posts
well, I live in Lake Elsinore now and they have a lot of roads that have dirt all next to them and if people are in my way, I just head off to the dirt and keep hauling *** until I'm around them and back on the road.
I'd say between 10 MPH and up to 55MPH I mean nothing like 90 MPH or anything!
FTW!!!! Other people do the grass pass too!! Wow its like a have a new friend. I love the look on the people when you rip by them!!

·
Registered
361 Posts
I have the feeling that my front passenger wheel hub is going bad as well (I'm at 56k miles, very easy driving, no off-roading to speak of). I get a light 'thump thump thump' noise as I go down the road, most prominently at 20-30mph (any lower and it's not there, any faster and road noise drowns it out). Taking the caliper and rotor off the truck, and taking the hub itself in hand and spinning it, I can hear a VERY slight knocking noise when I rotate it back and forth, but no noise when I rotate it in one single direction. Testing the drivers side in the same manner does not produce any similar noise, which leads me to believe the passenger hub is going bad. Anyways, yeah these units are kinda pricey. Rusty, where did you end up buying one for yourself? The best price I've found online so far is $140. I know what you mean about servicable bearings, my old s10's bearing replacement cost me about $10.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Do the hubs have tone rings in them? Are they contacting something they are not susposed to? and making that noise.
I'm not sure what you mean by tone rings, but no I can't see anything that they are accidentally contacting. To be honest it actually sounds like the noise is coming from that side (passenger) when driving down the road.

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
Tone rings are in relation to the ABS system. Its basically a cog that rotates and a sensor that sees when a tooth passes it. It then calculated the wheel spin and if one wheel is spinning more or locked up or whatever, it kicks in the ABS system and probably ABLS if equiped.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Tone rings are in relation to the ABS system. Its basically a cog that rotates and a sensor that sees when a tooth passes it. It then calculated the wheel spin and if one wheel is spinning more or locked up or whatever, it kicks in the ABS system and probably ABLS if equiped.
Yeah I know how the ABS sensor thing works, it's a rotary encoder. Are you saying though that the encoder disc could be hitting something inside the hub? If so I think that's probably unlikely.

oops bad link here is the one I got

$164.29
Thanks Rusty.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Rusty, did you get the new hub installed and how difficult was it? Any pics?

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
I'd assume the install was pretty simple.

Remove wheel, caliper and rotor.

Remove sensors from hub assembly.

Remove 4 bolts holding hub assembly.

Replace with new assembly and re-assemble.

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
they can take a little persuasion to get off, and you should clean up the mounting surfaces a little. But pretty much what Dubie said minus farting with the sensor.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts