Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like I bent something when wheeling. I need some input please!

Truck has OME HD with TC UCA. Here is what I am looking at (none of these existed prior to Saturday), all are for the driver's side:
  • driver's side is at least 0.5" lower than what it was
  • tire is rubbing on the fender while turning at shallow angles
  • at full droop the bump stop on the UCA are not touching the coil bucket (it did before and is about 0.25-0.5 inches away)
I pulled the wheel and took a look, everything appears normal. I noted some damage on the rear fender where the wheel contacted it. Can't get it to a shop until next week due to my schedule so looking for guidance.

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
Did something happened out of the ordinary while you wheeling? Sounds like the truck bottomed out.
You said at full drip it does not hit the bump stop.I would take out the shock and see if everything is moving freely.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did something happened out of the ordinary while you wheeling? Sounds like the truck bottomed out.
You said at full drip it does not hit the bump stop.I would take out the shock and see if everything is moving freely.

It was mud and rocks as it had rained prior. Slid down 3 feet into a rock with the wheel slightly turned. After that is when I noticed it was contacting.

I'm going to loosen everything up, let it cycle using a jack, take out the spring/strut combo to give it a once over as advised, reinstall and then retighten to see if there is a bushing that is binding. I will also check the compare the cam alignments on the cam bolts.

If everything is the same after that I am thinking that the LCA may be a little tweaked. Since this is my first experience with this I am unsure and may need to seek the help of a professional.

I should park her until my schedule allows me the time.

Thanks bud, much appreciated! ::smile::

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
If the lower control arm is bent, they are a dime a dozen around here because of Titan swaps. Should get one for almost nothing.
Doesn't look like you need to rent a car either,
Good luck.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
whistler and Nissan4Life I want to thank you guys for taking an active interest in this thread.

Everything is back to normal. A friend of mine told me that on a few trucks binding from fully flexing over and over occurred. The solution was to loosen suspension bolts and then retighten.
On my third or fourth bolt my suspension dropped to full droop and came forward. I took the opportunity to install adjustable cam bolts and will take her in for an alignment next week.

Other than some very minor body damage everything is as it was.

Thanks guys!

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
I think I have the same issue as you, except mine is forward. Was this a difficult task or pretty straight forward? Was it obvious when it came forward?

My problem didn't stem from recent wheeling, it just happened one day. I inspected shocks and struts, I need new struts, and they looked to be in decent order but when I turn left my passenger side tire rubs on the front part of the wheel well.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I have the same issue as you, except mine is forward. Was this a difficult task or pretty straight forward? Was it obvious when it came forward?

My problem didn't stem from recent wheeling, it just happened one day. I inspected shocks and struts, I need new struts, and they looked to be in decent order but when I turn left my passenger side tire rubs on the front part of the wheel well.
It is extremely easy to do. Just start loosening from the LCA and then move to the strut bolt and keep working up.you're in Chicago so you may have rusty bolts to deal with, but otherwise its cake.

As soon as I got to the strut bolt it physically dropped and moved into place.
I would suggest getting adjustable camber bolts since you're already there, but its not a necessity. You will probably need to get it aligned once finished since the geometry might change (which is why I recommended getting those cam bolts).

Please update when you're done.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts