Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any difference between the 2 front suspension setups other than bilsteins? I thought the front end of the Pro-4x was higher, but I can't seem to pinpoint what would make it that way.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Is there any difference between the 2 front suspension setups other than bilsteins? I thought the front end of the Pro-4x was higher, but I can't seem to pinpoint what would make it that way.
If I'm not mistaken the Bilsteins as used on the Pro-4X are high pressure gas charged and that will provide an amount of lift...

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Tire size for SV is a 70 series tire vs a 75 series on the Pro-4x that will give a height advantage. Also if your comparing 2wd vs. 4wd the springs have an extra coil on the 4wd also giving a height advantage. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
As was said already... the 75 series tires on the PRO4X are about 1" taller than the 70 series on the SV, netting about 1/2" of additional height. The shock/springs from the PRO4X also provide about 1" lift over the stock SV setup.

I have some real world experience that confirms this. I used to drive a 2010 Frontier SE (the predecessor to the SV) and installed Radflo extended travel coil overs on it that were set at 2.85"s of lift. When I bought my 2015 Xterra PRO4X, I transferred the coil overs from the SE to the PRO4X, at the same settings, and the lift ended up at 1.85"s on the 2015.

The Bilstiens are a better quality shock than the stock SV setup. I am not sure but the spring rate on the Bils may be slightly higher.....

The most important feature on the 4X4 PRO4X is the locking rear differential. If you plan on going off road this can help you get through tougher terrain.

·
Registered
10 Posts
As was said already... the 75 series tires on the PRO4X are about 1" taller than the 70 series on the SV, netting about 1/2" of additional height. The shock/springs from the PRO4X also provide about 1" lift over the stock SV setup.

I have some real world experience that confirms this. I used to drive a 2010 Frontier SE (the predecessor to the SV) and installed Radflo extended travel coil overs on it that were set at 2.85"s of lift. When I bought my 2015 Xterra PRO4X, I transferred the coil overs from the SE to the PRO4X, at the same settings, and the lift ended up at 1.85"s on the 2015.

The Bilstiens are a better quality shock than the stock SV setup. I am not sure but the spring rate on the Bils may be slightly higher.....

The most important feature on the 4X4 PRO4X is the locking rear differential. If you plan on going off road this can help you get through tougher terrain.

So I'm taking it the suspensions on the Xterra and frontier are the same I'm new to nissans

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
If I'm not mistaken the Bilsteins as used on the Pro-4X are high pressure gas charged and that will provide an amount of lift...
JFYI. Shocks do not support a vehicle.They cannot increase lift..
Stock shocks are high pressure,nitrogen gas charged.

·
Registered
544 Posts
JFYI. Shocks do not support a vehicle.They cannot increase lift..
Stock shocks are high pressure,nitrogen gas charged.
Oh I certainly understand that shocks do not support the vehicle, that is what springs are for.

I was simply under the impression that the high pressure in the Bilstein shocks may have provided a tiny bit more static height.

I recall some gas charged shocks extending with quite a lot of force when the shipping straps were cut free...

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
Oh I certainly understand that shocks do not support the vehicle, that is what springs are for.

I was simply under the impression that the high pressure in the Bilstein shocks may have provided a tiny bit more static height.

I recall some gas charged shocks extending with quite a lot of force when the shipping straps were cut free...
Corner weight on a stock truck is close to 1300lbs.(scaled all four corners when I first bought my truck). It takes a whole lot less weight to compressed the shock completely.
I can charge my shocks to way more than stock Bilsteins(200psi.+)
I repeat,it makes no difference.

Reactions: Monsta720

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
So I'm taking it the suspensions on the Xterra and frontier are the same I'm new to nissans
The front suspensions are the same. The rear springs on the Xterra are shorter in length than the Frontier springs and the rear shocks on the X are also shorter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts