Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me the approximate mileage lifespan of the original front struts/shocks on the Frontier? I have 117k miles on my truck. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Your guess is as good as mine. I think a better question is, how do I know when I need struts/shocks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Ive always heard 50,000 miles is when you replace struts, but im sure they can go longer than that. Usually i do the bounce test. Go to each corner of the car and start bouncing the car up and down, then stop and see how long it takes your truck to settle. If it settles to a stop pretty much immediately then you should be fine. If it bounces for a couple more times then it might be time to replace.

·
Registered
80 Posts
The bounce test has never worked for me, perhaps I don't know what I am looking for. It is however reasonably easy to tell when driving - it feels like your bouncing all over everything when their completely shot. I would guess at 117K your probably to that point, but I suppose it does depend on how and where you drive.

·
Super Moderator
10,430 Posts
I did mine at about 110,000 and they were pretty tired, since they are part of the spring setup it's not as obvious as you think.
One other point is if it's highway miles they have less compression cycles as opposed to local streets. Sometimes a shock can go bad early too.

Clint

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The reason I ask is not only am I getting steering wheel shimmy over bumpy roads I am also getting wheel hop. I'll bet the hop is due to some not so good struts.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Take them off and check them. That is the only way you will know for sure.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I posted a thread here back in late 2015 describing my ordeal changing out the original shocks in my 2005. At the time the truck was 10 years old and had about 100k miles. My shocks were trashed. I posted pics of them showing how rotten they were. I had a whale of a time removing them due to rusty bolts. Primarily the lower shock mounting bolt and the three bolts on top of the upper shock mount. I had to cut mine out. At the time I didn't replace the springs, only the shocks which I upgraded to Bilstein 4600s. I also reused the original top mounting bushings which came back to haunt me. I finally replaced them again 2 weeks ago.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So if I purchase the strut/spring assembly as a unit, are the bushings included in the assembly? Or do I have to purchase the bushings separately? Thanks.

·
Registered
173 Posts
For what it's worth, I have 170k miles on the original shocks, and yeah they look a little rusty, but don't leak and still pass the bounce test so.

Have a lot of highway miles, but I'll keep them unless they fail the 2 things above.

·
Super Moderator
3,188 Posts
Unfortunately, bounce testing doesn't really tell all of the story when it comes to struts. Here's a good video with a rep from KYB:

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
They also use the bounce test to determine spring frequency ( cpm or cycles per minute). Used a lot in setting up suspensions.
JFYI.

·
Super Moderator
3,188 Posts
Yes, but the bounce test only tells half of the story as to whether the strut is good or not.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
To test for spring frequency , you remove the shocks/struts. They have nothing to do with determining spring frequency.
Of course testing is the only way to tune shocks.
My friends run King shocks and have their vehicles tested at the King test track in Barstow.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts