Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a 2000 XTerra and had to remove the two bolts that hold the seat belt to the floor. As I tried to put the bolts back in, one began to cross-thread. Before I caused too much damage, I took the bolt back out and went to look for a tap & die to chase the threads in the hole as well as the ones on the bolt. I have a cheap set of metric taps and dies, but none of them were right for this particular bolt. Thread pitch gauge says it's a 1.25 pitch and (based on the dies I have) the bolt is M11. I have had lots of trouble finding a bolt this size. I've tried all of the local parts places (AutoZone, O'Reilly Auto and Napa) as well as several online resources with no luck. Has anyone else had this issue?? Is this the right size or am I missing something??

I would like to keep from drilling/re-tapping if at all possible.

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Ooooh, oooh, oooh !!! Mr. Kotter, call on me !!!

Sure, I know that these trucks are all metric. Except for stuff like wheel diameters (14 inch, 15 inch, 17 inch, whatever) and the seat belt bolts. Even my 1971 Volkswagen has the standardized seat belt bolts, standardized by international convention (like US vehicles had 14mm and 18mm spark plug threads before the conversion to metric).

These standardized seat belt threads are 7/16-inch by 20. This is NOT a typo. So not metric.

·
Registered
544 Posts

Sure, I know that these trucks are all metric. Except for stuff like wheel diameters (14 inch, 15 inch, 17 inch, whatever) and the seat belt bolts. Even my 1971 Volkswagen has the standardized seat belt bolts, standardized by international convention (like US vehicles had 14mm and 18mm spark plug threads before the conversion to metric).

These standardized seat belt threads are 7/16-inch by 20. This is NOT a typo. So not metric.
Well I'll be damned, this I did not know... But it sure explains the OP's dilemma as 7/16" is about as close to 11 MM as you're going to get and 1.25 pitch is right at 20.3 threads per inch...

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Thanks a lot, Cusser! I never would've thought those were Standard!

·
Registered
337 Posts
LOL! I want Cusser on my Jeopardy game team. "First generation Frontiers for $500, Alex."

1 - 5 of 5 Posts