Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone. Thanks in advance for your help. I’ve recently taken over my fathers old 2000 Frontier SE Crew cab and have been trying to do some long overdue maintenance (timing belt, exhaust, ignition, tires, etc).

I’ve noticed a pretty loud banging/clunking sound when the wheel is turned hard and the frontier is reversed over a small bump, like a driveway apron. Initially I thought (was hoping) this sound was caused by very worn sway bar end link bushings, but no such luck.

Please take a look at the video and let me know your thoughts. There’s no obvious movement when the sound happens so it makes me think a cv or ball joint.

Since I cant attach a video to this forum, I’ve posted it on YouTube at: https://youtu.be/lUZIk22hvbY

Again, thanks for your help!

-ej

·
Registered
2017 Pro-4X w/Luxury Package
1,035 Posts
Most likely you need new soft caps on the stops that limit the steering angle. When they hit the control arms it makes a horrible sound. Think new ones are available (Rock Auto, etc.). I gotta replace mine too.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Most likely you need new soft caps on the stops that limit the steering angle. When they hit the control arms it makes a horrible sound. Think new ones are available (Rock Auto, etc.). I gotta replace mine too.

This is where you should start. As a temporary thing to see if that actually is what the noise is from, put a glob of grease on the control arm where the stop contacts it. If that helps then replace the nylon caps.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I'm sure that's what it is, someone on here told me about it, now every oil change I throw some wheel bearing grease, on the stop.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Can someone let me know how they look? I am having the same issue its a loud clunk!! this started happening or I noticed it after I replaced the front shocks.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I would like to know about the location to grease as well as I have a horrible noise when I back out and cut the wheel to the left.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Mine Would make a sound like that when i had bigger tires on it and cut the wheel all the way right or left. Other day i backed out of a driveway and it made sound like that. Have you looked at every last one of your joints, boots, and bushings. They're 20 years old. Rubber doesn't last forever. Mine was manufactured Jan 2000 and as of writing this has only 105k on it. I'm about to replace the whole front suspension on mine. Lower Ball joint boots are toast. Uppers are cracked, Tie rod boots have little cracks in them, Center link boots are look fine until you get real close and look at drivers side which has a long hairline rip in it. Its all trash.

SilverArrow took some decent pics of what he did when replacing his.
https://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f102/2002-used-abused-frontier-sc-repair-rebuild-349307/index2.html

·
Registered
59 Posts
I recently spent about 2k on front end replacement and fixes. So I am pretty sure that the only thing I have not changes on both side is the upper ball joint. The noise is coming from the lower control arm.

I have greased where I thought where it was grinding and the noise has gone away, but I am still unsure where these bushings are or stoppers. Or where I can find them because I have searched Rock Auto and no luck.

·
Super Moderator
3,839 Posts
They vary depending on year, model and drivetrain. Some have white plastic caps and some have metal caps. If you have, or rather need, the plastic caps, they aren't that expensive from the dealer. IIRC, the plastic caps were usually on 2WD models and the metal caps were on 4WD trucks, but don't quote me on that!

Attachments

Reactions: sww7583

·
Registered
59 Posts
They vary depending on year, model and drivetrain. Some have white plastic caps and some have metal caps. If you have, or rather need, the plastic caps, they aren't that expensive from the dealer. IIRC, the plastic caps were usually on 2WD models and the metal caps were on 4WD trucks, but don't quote me on that!

Your First picture is the set up I have. The bolt there has no cap on it. That is where I greased up well and the noise stopped. The grease will not stay forever though, so I will attempt to find the bolts with caps.

THANKS!::grin::::grin::::grin::

·
Registered
2004 Nissan Frontier XE KC KA24DE
4,018 Posts
I wrapped mine with electrical tape and then added a large sized piece of heat shrink on top of the tape. It worked so well that I forgot to search for the nylon caps.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've got the same noises and used some silicon plumbing sealant vs grease. The stuff is sticky as heck and is pretty much immune to washing off by water. Seems to work well. I did track down the nissan part numbers for both the 4wd and 2wd (they are different) for a more or less permanent fix. 4WD is 40039-2s610 and 2WD is 40039-2s400. It's call a "cap-stopper bolt" in the part lists. Seem to run between 3 and 4 dollars each (+shp) on most of the nissan online parts suppliers web sites.

·
Registered
2004 Nissan Frontier XE KC KA24DE
4,018 Posts
You can save on shipping charges if you order from your local dealership and pick up. I'm glad this thread was started because I had completely forgot that I needed them. I ordered some for my 2wd. Even though my temporary fix has lasted a couple of years I had always wanted to get them.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts