Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my truck has the front end droops. I've done some searching but haven't found an answer that make sme happy, so my bad in advance.

The front wheel clearance is no where near that of the rear tires to fender wells. My truck must be like 4 inches to low in the front. I'm sure that after I lift the truck or level the front end off that I can safely fit 31's under it.

From your experiences, what would you suggest as being the best* route? Would a new lift kit fix this issue, or should I just go with a leveling kit? Which ones might you suggest? The biggest tire I will ever want on my '99 Nissan Frontier is a 33", I'll save 35's for a different vehicle.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
Remember that you have a 1st gen and not a 2nd gen so beware on the kits that you look at. Your best option will be to crank your Tbars to re-gain the lift. If not, then upgrade to new Tbars.

P.S. The "droop" as you call it is actually a "rake" that is designed into the vehicle to ensure that you are closer to level while towing. If you are nosed up, it takes weight off your steering wheels which could end in disaster.

·
Registered
148 Posts
i had thuis problem to man, 2nd gen though. quickest and most economic way to fix this is to get stiffer coils or crank up the torsion bars. should bring her right up to where you want it. but if you are towing anything this will cause some problems for you, as dubie said, a nosed up truck can be recipe for major disaster

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
i had thuis problem to man, 2nd gen though. quickest and most economic way to fix this is to get stiffer coils. should bring her right up to where you want it. but if you are towing anything this will cause some problems for you, as dubie said, a nosed up truck can be recipe for major disaster
Coils won't work on 1st gens, we don't have them.

If you just want to level it out, I suggest cranking your torsion bars. Its easy and most importantly, free. My truck was like yours and i hated it but after the t-bar crank, it looked a million times better. It took me about 30 minutes to do it and it even helped out my ride quality a good bit.

http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f46/1st-gen-faq-please-read-add-input-21534/

It is in the first post and will explain what you need to do. I will take pictures of the bolts if you need them.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys! i'm aiming to level it out more, but not so much that it sacrifices towing capabilities so much. The front sits way too low, and it doe sneed some adjustment. I have a print off of the front torsion bar adjustment. After I do this, am I required to do an alignment right away? Or will it be ok if I evenly adjust the torsion bar on both sides? I want to be certain of whether I need an alignment or not after I adjust it. I'll be getting new tires in a few months and I'd rather not align the truck now, then do it again when I get new tires.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Don't forget to look into shocks, if you are still on the stockers, most likely they are shot as they are now 10 years old. I would look into some ranchos or bilsteins to improve your suspension and ride. Since you have the 4x4, you have the additional weight in the front which will mean the demise of the shock sooner than a 2wd. I just replaced mine at 95k miles and the ride is much improved. New shocks with a T-Bar crank and 31's will be no problem for you. Just something to think about.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Peeweesewell...what the heck is that in your avatar, that is crazy lookin, is it a shedog or something???? You always have some whacky pics and I don't even know what to call this one

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Don't forget to look into shocks, if you are still on the stockers, most likely they are shot as they are now 10 years old. I would look into some ranchos or bilsteins to improve your suspension and ride. Since you have the 4x4, you have the additional weight in the front which will mean the demise of the shock sooner than a 2wd. I just replaced mine at 95k miles and the ride is much improved. New shocks with a T-Bar crank and 31's will be no problem for you. Just something to think about.

Yeah, I have actually been looking at shocks. My rear shocks are leaking oil, or were. I think they are drained out now. The truck rocks like a boat and I've been looking around for a decent shock to put on it, other then what autozone offers. I'm not really worried about the alignment, I jsut wanted to make sure it isn't required. It won't be too long before I throw a new set of tires on the truck, so I'll do an alignment then.

Another question I have for you guys, is there supposed to be 4 leaf springs on the passenger side of the truck and only 3 on the driver side? I know some companies put an extra leaf spring under the drive tire, but I'm pretty sure most of the time my drive tire is on the passenger side. Any replies about this would be greatly appreciated, as I am facing this issue right now. The dealer I bought the truck from refuses to do anything about the leaf spring issue.

And again, Thank you all for your comments about the T-bar adjustment.

·
Registered
412 Posts
So let me get this straight, you have 4 leaf springs on the passenger side and 3 on the driver? Or is it the same amount on both sides, because that is how it is supposed to be. I think on the 4wd, you are sprung over the axle, I know on my 2wd, I had a total of 4....3 regular leafs + 1 flat overload leaf. Hopefully a 4wd member can tell you the correct amount for your set-up, but both sides should be EQUAL. And yes, your passneger side tire is predominantly the power tire, but they do no compensate this by adding an extra leaf.
So, hopefully you have equal amounts on each side, and if not, take some pics and show us what is goin on. Who knows what the previous owner did to the truck......

·
Registered
354 Posts
nutsandbolts, you should take advantage of this deal on Rancho shocks this month, assuming they make them for your truck.

http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f89/rancho-4-play-promotion-48397/#post729752

Obviously it would be best to do the T-Bar lift, shocks, tires and alignment all at the same time, but if that's not practical money wise, just hold off on the alignment until the shocks and lift are done. Then it will already be aligned properly before you put new tires on.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts