Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I have a 2003 frontier king cab sc. My problem is when I point the front wheels straight and rock the suspension up and down I get a creaking noise from the front drivers side wheel. When I turn the wheels left or right and rock suspension there is no creak at all. wheels also have to be on the ground to make creaking noise. I have got under the truck and pushed the truck up and down and tried to pinpoint what bushing might be making all this noise but I can not pinpoint it. anyone have any ideas?
thanks

·
Super Moderator
3,686 Posts
A tool like "Chassis Ears" can be real helpful in finding such noises. The more common areas for this noise include binding sway bar mount bushings (can be lubed with lithium grease or replaced), ball joints (especially lowers) and front control arm bushings.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Its most likely your sway bar bushings or lower control arm bushings. Sway bar bushings are very easy, control arm bushings are a little more complex.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm pretty sure its control arm bushings. Looks like I'm gonna have to soak everything overnight as it looks like all bushings are original and nuts and bolts haven't been taken off in 15 years. looks like a lot of fun

·
Super Moderator
3,686 Posts
If they are really bad, sometimes you have to cut the bolts using a Sawzall. It's a fairly common thing in the 2nd gens, but hopefully you'll have better luck!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yes, I'm sure I am going to have to cut some items off in order to do wishbone replacement. honestly, looking at all the rust and corrosion, I have been putting this task off as long as I can. once I start this project, I know I am opening a whole can off worms. upper wishbones don't look to bad to replace but the lower ones ( being tied into the torsion bars that are badly rusted) look like they could be a real hassle. Been looking at rockauto for all replacement parts as prices seem to be prtty fair.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Not sure how many miles you have, but at 120k my whole front end was worn out. Tie rod ends, ball joints, center link, idler arm, etc. And there was almost no rust under my truck but still had to cut the upper control arms out. It's nice after all done. All Moog parts from Rockauto and my free labor.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not sure how many miles you have, but at 120k my whole front end was worn out. Tie rod ends, ball joints, center link, idler arm, etc. And there was almost no rust under my truck but still had to cut the upper control arms out. It's nice after all done. All Moog parts from Rockauto and my free labor.
I am probably going to have out mine out too. where did you get the camber bolts and nuts from?

·
Super Moderator
3,686 Posts
I've been buying parts from Rockauto for two decades! Great service and often the best prices plus great selection. They're also great to work with regarding warranty returns when those situations come up.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Alignment camber/toe kit is Moog K100207 $26.79 a side.
Finally did upper control arm replacement. definitely needed this moog camber/toe kit. needed to cut out camber bolts. There was no way these were coming out. I used a sawzall and cut through all four bolts. before I cut I marked the camber plate positioning on the truck with a paint pen. when I re installed I set the new camber plates in the same spot as the old ones on the truck. job was actually pretty easy and took me a total of about 3 hours. I used the control arms with balljoint from rockauto and they were an exact fit. unfortunately, this did not fix my squeak problem but they needed to be replaced anyways as balljoint and ca bushings were worn out. lower control arms will be next. looking for a good diy if anyone knows of one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts