Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried a search sorry if I missed the obvious.

Looking for something that will help protect against deer and help with some offroading on a 16.

Not looking for a decorative grill guard, bull guard etc, want the protection of an entire bumper.

New to the Frontier so some basic searches turned up these two companies. Are there others I should be looking at, is one better than the other?

General thoughts/comments?

Thanks, Matt.

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
I only own the Shrockworks bumper .... but have been told that it is structurally better in an impact than the ARB. Plus you get the front skid plate with the Shrock bumper.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Basic differences between Shrock and ARB is the materials and mounts. Shrock uses 3/16" while ARB is 1/8". ARB mounts also have crumple zones while Shrock bolts solidly to the frame horns.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I didn't know there was that much difference in the construction.

Is there any other co making a bumper for our trucks?

·
Registered
352 Posts
ARB looks nicer, but the strength of the Shrockworks is better. What is the weight difference?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
481 Posts
ARB bumpers are designed to withstand hitting kangaroos on Australian hwys lol. Shrockworks probably weigh more due to slightly thicker metal.

Anything is better then the stock bumper for protection so go with one that appeals to you.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the good info.

Have absolutely no preference between the two, or any other for that matter but the protection from impact comment is spot on.

·
Registered
158 Posts
ARB looks nicer, but the strength of the Shrockworks is better. What is the weight difference?

Not sure of the weight difference between the ARB and the Shrock but I know I gained about 125-130 pounds up front with the Shrock bumper and winch "IF" I remember correctly. It squatted the stock suspension less than 1/2".

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
If I remember right the ARB does not have a front recovery point because of the crumple zone. I don't fully understand it since it can use a winch. The other thing though is the ARB is likely built and you can have it in a couple of weeks. The Shrock has been known to take 6 months to get. I have a shrock and have beat the hell out of it and have used the recovery points and my wife decided to pretend she was a pinball and bounced it off a cement filled metal winching post at Holister. Without the bumper I would have lost the grill, hood, fender, head light and possibly a a bunch of other stuff. It did put a mark in the fender as she hit hard enough that it flexed and then bounced back, but I have driven it without issue for the next 2 years so I have no problem recommending them.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I remember reading about ARB not having a recovery points too! That sucks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
305 Posts
Pre air bag days they did... Based upon my conversation with them in Australia the reason they changed it was to reduce the chance of airbag deployment. I don't know that to be true but that is what they said.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
611 Posts
Both look good in my opinion but for offroading I would prefer Shrockworks over ARB. For driving around and using a winch once in a while ARB IMO.

·
Registered
239 Posts
It's all personal preference since both bumpers have good reputation. If you need dependable front-end protection and don't do intense off-roading, you can't go wrong with Arb. It is also completely airbag compliant. Try nissan - arb - 4wheelonline.com for some deals on this bumper. For a heavy-duty steel bumper that can endure the rigors of extreme wheeling, I recommend Shrockworks.

·
Vendor
2,577 Posts
When the real front end protection is needed, try Offroad Bumpers made by N-Fab. They are sturdy enough to withstand a serious impact. Plus, they are equipped with light bars, skid plates, and thick-wall round tubing offering the best overall protection. Check all the options available for your Frontier here: http://www.carid.com/n-fab/

1 - 20 of 21 Posts