Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I decided a while back that I wanted to go "dimple-less" with my truck. I removed the fender flare indents (4cyl version) two years ago and I just removed the round dimples on the front bumper. I also removed the bar on the upper opening that I suppose was there to hide/protect the hood latch. I'm not very good at body work and I definitely hit the limit of my ability to work with Dupli-Color Perfect Match aerosol can paint on this project, but overall, I'm happy with the results...

UPDATED PICTURE...

·
Registered
337 Posts
Thats a very nice look! Here's mine, $50 Ebay grill. I just might "borrow" an idea from you, lol. One thing though, you can make the front look so much better by buffing your headlights! I have done them by hand, with cheap polishing compound. Oh, and a six pack of beer, lol. Seriously, your upgrade looks so good, that headlights kind of stood out. Great job.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i like it alot. Also how did you do the mesh grill?
Thanks. The mesh grill is just Home Depot gutter guard. Same stuff I had put on the lower opening 12 years ago. I did add an aluminum bar on the upper edge for support. Right now the mesh is just bent over the bar but one day I may try my luck at brazing and see if I can get the bar and mesh joined. I also replaced all six plastic fasteners on the top of the bumper with rivnuts so the bar is held in fairly well. As with all of my repairs/mods, time will tell.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats a very nice look! Here's mine, $50 Ebay grill. I just might "borrow" an idea from you, lol. One thing though, you can make the front look so much better by buffing your headlights! I have done them by hand, with cheap polishing compound. Oh, and a six pack of beer, lol. Seriously, your upgrade looks so good, that headlights kind of stood out. Great job.
Thanks.
I've always liked the grill you have and seriously thought about getting one to go with the dimple removal, but then I got the idea for the cross bar removal and that led me to the mesh.
I've cleaned those OE headlights four or five times and have given up on them. They clean well,but I haven't found a UV protectant that seems to last more than a couple of months: then they're right back to foggy. I've got an eBay set of lights on the way. I've also got a new set of fogs on the way as I lost one of the pair I've had for 12 years to corrosion.

·
Registered
337 Posts
That will really pop, with the new lights. I used a good quality wax after I did mine, seems to work, but mine is garage kept and that might make a difference. I'll send you a pick when I redo mine. It will be slightly different than yours, but I will definitely "borrow" from your idea.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll send you a pick when I redo mine. It will be slightly different than yours, but I will definitely "borrow" from your idea.
I look forward to it. With the limited aftermarket for these things, it seems like we have to do most mods ourselves and I can't seem to find a lot on the internet.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Did you use the filler with the fiberglass strands in it, or just regular body filler?

I also had a different idea, I was going to make the grill pieces out out of 1/4 or 3/8 expanded metal. Good idea with the gutter guard, a lot less expensive, I'm betting.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did you use the filler with the fiberglass strands in it, or just regular body filler?
For the front circular dimples I used a heat gun to warm the area, then held a flat edge of a piece of 2x4 against the front as I reached in and pressed against the back (had to reach in with a long piece of metal). Doing that, I was able to get the dimples flattened out. Then I sanded the area and filled any imperfections with regular Bondo (didn't take much).

I had filled in the flare dimples of the bumper and the flare dimples with Bondo without pressing them out. It's been over a year and a half w/o issue (knock wood). I roughed up those dimples with 80 grit, I believe, so that the Bondo would have something to bite to. If I had to do it again, I would have pulled the bumper and the flares to do that job.

For this job, I ended up pulling the bumper later in the process and wish I had don't it before the dimple removal. Doing it with the bumper on wasn't bad but I think it would have been easier with the bumper off. I did create a sort of buck so the bumper wouldn't be so wobbly while I worked on it.

Hope this helps.

[edit]. Gutter guard was definitely cheap.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Good advice, I have to take one fender flare off for repair, I might as well take the bumper off for this mod. Had not even thought about a heat gun, to smooth first. Good call!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Updated picture with the new headlights and fogs...

Shows the fenders and front bumper smoothed out and the upper grill bar removed. Now onto filling in those "flutes" in the wheels!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts