Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm not terribly familiar with forum etiquette/structure, so if this needs to be moved elsewhere, feel free to do so, moderator(s).

So I had a little fender/bumper bender accident on Dec 17th 2017 in my 2016 Pro4x. Mild damage. After my deductible, my insurance cut me a check for nearly $2300.

I'm hoping to enlist the forum members to find the best options for an aftermarket bumper since mine's going to need to be replaced. I'm not entirely sure where to start. The body shop guy said that the fender would most likely have to be replaced instead of repaired, but since the bumper and bumper reinforcement are a total loss and come to roughly $850 for parts alone, I'd like to think that I could find something to fill that void.

I'm not particularly interested in anything large. I really like the looks of something like ShrockWorks makes, but would really prefer to have something left over to at least go toward a winch purchase.

And GO!

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 Nissan Frontier SV Crew Cab LWB 4x4
1,840 Posts
I've been looking at aftermarket bumpers myself. So far the least expensive winch-capable models seem to be from WAM Bumpers. Their Series I seems to be the least expensive that I have found, and their Series II is about the second least expensive.

On the flipside if you start upoptioning the bumper they get expensive quick, but if you keep it simple it might be closer to your budget.

Now having said all this I have not ever used their products so I cannot attest to the quality. I'm merely going on price alone.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Figured since I was looking into bumpers, it looks like WAM was Tactical Armor Group, and before that was Kennesaw Mountain, and there are a lot of complaints following these various named entities across many of the 4x4 forums. Again I've never done business with them, but I myself am now a bit hesitant to consider them for my own truck given what I've read.

·
Premium Member
6,399 Posts
Figured since I was looking into bumpers, it looks like WAM was Tactical Armor Group, and before that was Kennesaw Mountain, and there are a lot of complaints following these various named entities across many of the 4x4 forums. Again I've never done business with them, but I myself am now a bit hesitant to consider them for my own truck given what I've read.

Keep doing your research. While WAM is "new" they did buy TAG's stuff. HOWEVER, so far they have been a great company to work for. Their mother company is a large equipment manufacturing company. Their customer service seems great (I had a wonderful experience with them) and so have a few others on this site. I also referred a friend for their winch plate and he had the same experience I did.

·
Premium Member
705 Posts
Keep doing your research. While WAM is "new" they did buy TAG's stuff. HOWEVER, so far they have been a great company to work for. Their mother company is a large equipment manufacturing company. Their customer service seems great (I had a wonderful experience with them) and so have a few others on this site. I also referred a friend for their winch plate and he had the same experience I did.
X2

My only issues were with UPS destroying the paint I paid extra for, not necessarily WAM themselves.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Wam! Made me a great bumper at a fair price. Shipped it out within 3 weeks of order, very high quality and only took my wife and I 15 mins to bolt on the truck. Would order anything Natalie makes from now on

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts
I'm not terribly familiar with forum etiquette/structure, so if this needs to be moved elsewhere, feel free to do so, moderator(s).

So I had a little fender/bumper bender accident on the 17th in my 2016 Pro4x. Mild damage. After my deductible, my insurance cut me a check for nearly $2300.

I'm hoping to enlist the forum members to find the best options for an aftermarket bumper since mine's going to need to be replaced. I'm not entirely sure where to start. The body shop guy said that the fender would most likely have to be replaced instead of repaired, but since the bumper and bumper reinforcement are a total loss and come to roughly $850 for parts alone, I'd like to think that I could find something to fill that void.

I'm not particularly interested in anything large. I really like the looks of something like ShrockWorks makes, but would really prefer to have something left over to at least go toward a winch purchase.

And GO!
You can get a bumper & winch EASILY for $2300 from nearly anybody. Shrock & Hefty you're looking about $1k for the bumper. issue is lead time. Case in point: I bought an Aluminum bumper from Hefty. including shipping it was $1700. Warn VR8S winch was another $600, if you go steel, knock $500 off that. If you go with a different brand winch you can save $ too...

If you like prerunner style there are a few on FB, one from CA area comes to mind @ around $500

You can repair that bumper skin REAL easy with a heat gun. Remove your wheel liner, radiator skid & front airdams. This will give you easier access. You then can warm up the bumper corner with the gun and force it out with your hand (might want to wear leather gloves). The reinforcing panel behind can be popped back onto its mounting points also pretty easy.
If you're having difficulty seeing everything you can remove the whole skin. It has 8-10 plastic fasteners for the grill/front clip, and 2 or 3 bolts on each side where the bumper skin bolts to the metal fender. Once you see it off you'll laugh how easy it comes off. Difficulty is trying to find it first time.
I've had to do this a few times now. first time took me 2 hrs, 2nd time 30 minutes. Remember to unplug your fog lights before you start removal.

Popping it out will make it an easier wait while you wait for your new bumper (no matter who you get it from)

I just noticed you have a fold/bend on your sheetmetal fender. Are you having that repaired/replaced?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
"Popping it out will make it an easier wait while you wait for your new bumper (no matter who you get it from)"

I had no idea the lead time thing was such an issue. I dropped it off at the body shop 2 days ago for them to begin tearing it down.

"I just noticed you have a fold/bend on your sheet metal fender. Are you having that repaired/replaced?"

I believe they are going to replace the fender, the crease was pretty bad and my tire's been catching it a little, especially if I'm backing up...can't cut the wheels very far at all.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So it's not exactly what I wanted, but I ordered an ARB bumper from bumpersuperstore.com (ARB 3438320 Front Deluxe Bull Bar Winch Bumper Nissan Frontier 2009-2017 (3438320)) and a Smittybuilt (97495 XRC Winch) from Amazon. Both should be in early this coming week. So I should have my truck back before the end of the week (I hope!)

I'll be sure and get some pictures and comment on any observations from the experience.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
I wish that ARB had a front bumper that didn't have the bull bar part above the bumper itself for a better price.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I didn't really want the bully bars either, and obviously they add cost, but honestly the bumper looks really good!
It took some experimenting, but I was finally able to get the winch installed. So the issue I have now is the gear box housing on the winch cannot be clocked to an angle that makes it feasible to think that you're just going to reach in & turn it 180 degrees to engage or disengage the drum. I'm going to be fabricating a T-handle tool that should remedy this.

I did learn that while replacing a factory incandescent signal light bulb with an led can make the light flash cycle as though you have a bulb out...adding an incandescent bulb in parallel, will effectively stop it from flashing. This happened with the included signal lights in the bumper. My factory fog lights are not compatible with the bracket in the bumper's light assembly. I have them hooked up & held securely with concealed cable ties for the immediate future.
The last two photos show the clutch lever in the position I settled on.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Basically the flasher device is a relay that flops back and forth, where the action of powering the incandescent bulbs contributes to how it triggers. I think there's a resistor that heats up and how fast that happens dictates the flash duration. If a bulb is out then it heats up faster and flips faster, but LEDs don't draw enough current to make it behave correctly, hence the fast-flash.

On cars where there's a dedicated module for the turn signals it can be swapped out for one that does not depend on the lamps to make it time itself, but then it won't change if there's a bulb out either.

·
Registered
934 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not sure if this is the same exact model winch you have but this explains how to clock a Smittybilt:
http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/instructions/smt-97281_xrc8 winch motor clocking.pdf

Thanks! I'd found how to clock the gearbox but neither of the two near positions allow for the full 180 degrees of rotation required of the clutch lever. The bumper just doesn't really give any room to get a hand in there, and I don't have particularly large hands.

I assumed it was possible to clock the motor, and I would have, but I didn't see anything on it anywhere. Had I put the terminals on the top instead of the bottom, I would have had a lot more options when it came to mounting the control box. I might just change it one nice day in the future, since I think I could do it without actually unbolting the entire winch.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts