Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Front axle options

3K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  atroader 
#1 ·
Out of curiosity, I've spent a little time looking at what options are available as a stronger ifs diff that could maybe be fitted to our subframes (with some fabbing), other than a titan diff swap- which is still not much bigger.

-Ford 8.8" ifs
-GM 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton ifs (called the 9.25")... see
9.25 Front Axle GM # GR046007 Chevy GMC Z71 : eBay Motors (item 150421401419 end time Mar-14-10 19:16:41 PDT)
-you can get a dana 44 center-section online for irs-- but you need to fab mounts on the housing, etc.
-I still wonder what artic trucks use (advertise as dana 44)- surely used a center section vs. adapting some sort of dana 44 f150 TTB type.

-The dana 44 center section is the only thing that has a cast iron housing... unless you found a 9" steel center section (third member style). Both of these are more custom and expensive though.

A lot of folks would just say to go solid axle, but its great to be beefy enough without wanting to jack a truck up sky high, yet also keep the good driving dynamics of ifs.

Personally, I'll figure something out at some point after I get many more miles on my truck and use it less than for a daily driver... just thinking out loud here. Even with new parts, a titan diff can be less than $2k w/ v8 pathy shafts, but what else compares?

What options have other people considered?

See less See more
#3 ·
I think Penski may have looked at that option once since he has a 1st gen and a 2nd gen. I know he looked at swapping the gears, but not sure if he looked at swapping the whole thing.

#6 · (Edited)
JK rubicon 44 front and rear or find a shop that will do a custom hub, its the same axle as the M226 will plug in for the ABS 4 link and convert to coil overs

or

currie 60 IFS chunk and build from there when they come out

#8 ·
Thanks for the thoughts guys.

09Fronti6sp4x4, thanks for the link. I'm already thinking about how I would adapt a 9". Std 9" ends but cut to ifs length, custom axles and flanges, then titan CVs? hmmm you could beat the crap out of that and worst case just shred a CV- replace it on the trail.

#9 ·
You're still going to have to go with custom half shafts and a custom front drive shaft. On top of cutting it to length and fabing up the mounting points. I say if your going though all the trouble you'd better not be running the factory suspension that would be like doing an RB swap into a kia rio.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.