Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I replaced my front and rear shocks. I've never attempted any suspension work on any car but on my 2002 Frontier it was not hard at all.

KYB 344469 Excel-G front shocks $32.19 each, KYB 344015 Excel-G rear shocks $31.21, ordered on Amazon with free shipping.

The truck has 166000 miles and at this point I don't want to spend extra money on high-end, more expensive parts. Install took about 2 hours since I went slow but next time I could do all four in less than 90 min. If you need new shocks I highly recommend doing it yourself, it wasn't difficult. There are a couple of Youtube videos you can watch first. Didn't need to lift the rear tires at all for the rear shocks, just crawl under with a 17mm socket wrench, and I used a crowbar to pry it loose. For the front ones, I took off the wheels. I needed a 14mm socket for the top nut but there was so much corrosion, had to get a friend to hold onto the shock while I loosened the nut (if you turn the nut the shock will turn with it). Bottom bolt is 17mm socket. Super easy getting the old one out and new one in. All four shocks were the original ones that came new on the truck and all four were dead.
Total cost $126.80.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Good Job.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Agreed, not a hard job at all, but my 04 had the rear sway bar and that threw me for a loop. The Passenger rear wouldn't come off unless I removed the sway bar. It unbolted real easy and bolted back up, but that was the first time I dealt the sway bar.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Agreed, not a hard job at all, but my 04 had the rear sway bar and that threw me for a loop. The Passenger rear wouldn't come off unless I removed the sway bar. It unbolted real easy and bolted back up, but that was the first time I dealt the sway bar.
OE anti-sway bar? Did you jack up the rear for the job? You may want to take a look at my post about my shock replacement with my aftermarket anti-sway bar.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes the OE sway bar. I didn't jack up the rear end, but I did use the jack to get the sway bar back up and bolted back in place. Was easier then I thought it would be.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Nice job,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts