Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 2016 nissan frontier and it has a fresh air vent behind the rear seat. Has flappers so when you slam the door or turn a/c with fresh air on it opens.

I was wondering how to seal this up when I go install sound deadening and mlv.

I am worried about adverse side effects with taking it off Like if door will shut or if air bags deploy or a/c is on fresh air

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Believe they are for 'flow through ventilation' which is required on all vehicles for about 40 years - safety device to help prevent CO2 poisoning

·
Rogue Admin
13,351 Posts
Believe they are for 'flow through ventilation' which is required on all vehicles for about 40 years - safety device to help prevent CO2 poisoning
What happened to the good old days, like when the VW Bugs ran hoses to the engine department for 'heat', which was actually an option. You used thumb levers to 'pinch off' the air hose to turn it off, which it often broke, so all heat/oil/stinky air all the time. Yeah - THOSE were the days. ::laugh::

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I am worried about adverse side effects with taking it off Like if door will shut or if air bags deploy or a/c is on fresh air
If the air bags deploy with the rear cab vents plugged up, you won't have enough hearing left to worry about sound deadening...

(Interesting fact: Running the A/C or heater in the recirculating mode reduces road noise, because the rear cab vents are only open when the cabin is being pressurized with outside air.)

·
Registered
354 Posts
I've been wondering the same thing, mainly to keep road noise OUT of the cab.

Was thinking either some felt pads or open cell foam blocks to act as mufflers.

Haven't tried it yet because of time issues. Let us know if work something
out before I do.

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
What happened to the good old days, like when the VW Bugs ran hoses to the engine department for 'heat', which was actually an option. You used thumb levers to 'pinch off' the air hose to turn it off, which it often broke, so all heat/oil/stinky air all the time. Yeah - THOSE were the days. ::laugh::
My HS girlfriend had a '66 bug with that very same heater

I would think adding sound deadening to the walls, but going around those vents would still be beneficial in reducing the road noise

·
Premium Member
5,875 Posts
So I have a 2016 nissan frontier and it has a fresh air vent behind the rear seat. Has flappers so when you slam the door or turn a/c with fresh air on it opens.

I was wondering how to seal this up when I go install sound deadening and mlv.

Don't seal it up, it's there for cabin pressure reasons, as other mentioned. Installing sound deadening on the entire rear panel has more of an effect than removing the vent.

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Don't seal it up, it's there for cabin pressure reasons, as other mentioned. Installing sound deadening on the entire rear panel has more of an effect than removing the vent.
Agreed. I actually had the same thought about covering that vent when I installed Dynamat in my truck...didn't work very well. When the temp changes, say from day to night or when a cool/cold front blows thru, the vent is there to help the cabin 'breathe'. When I blocked the vent off (taped dense foam over it) the cabin got really humid, sticky, & had a funky smell after a couple of days. After this I promptly removed the foam covering & let the truck air-out for a day or two.

Solution? I double layered the Dynamat along the back wall & after I finished installing it I placed things such as rope or extra bottles of oil in front of the vent to help block/absorb the sound coming thru it. (Note: since I go camping every once in awhile I carry emergency stuff in my truck for that 'just in case' situation) In all honesty, I had my brother & a couple other people either ride in the backseat or drive me around so we could compare one side to the other. Either they couldn't tell a difference or there was only a slight slight difference in noise level between either side. Plus, once you fold the backseat up the seat itself actually does a pretty decent job of blocking/absorbing the sound coming from that area.

Conclusion: as others have said, its best to leave it alone or it may create more problems than its worth.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I would keep them, just fabricate some air filters.

·
Super Moderator
10,417 Posts
fun fact, if you completely seal the vents and then slam your door (itll take some exrta effort) you CAN actually shatter the back window.

its pretty fun to see. :D
If there is any little crack or chip in a windshield it can spread it out as well.

Clint

·
Registered
47 Posts
Some people (probably me as well) are having leak trouble with that vent. Going in for a closer look this weekend. I dont want to eliminate the vent for obvious reasons. How can I fix the design?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just put killmat in the rear of my 2005 Frontier and my vent was loose in the opening. It installs from the outside in. I removed mine and sealed the heck out of it with clear silicone. I cut the sound deadening matt around it do it still functions like it should. After sealing the vent in the opening from the outside, bed was removed to do it, it’s much quieter.
022A59CB-617A-4243-8F0C-672BDB7FAA70.jpeg

1 - 15 of 15 Posts