Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Nissan Frontier SV Crew Cab LWB 4x4
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like apparently a lot of people before me, I've grumbled about the lower-than-desired range. Started looking into if anyone had done a Titan fuel tank swap. Found a lot of people that have mused about it but no one has actually posted results.

Decided to armchair-research it myself at a cursory level, and found pictures of the Titan and Frontier frames, presumably from Nissan's own marketing, but the Titan frame picture is a bit small. Just going to have to make-do. Anyhow, I scaled the two images so that the front portion of the frame, suspension, and transmission overlapped evenly, then created some layouts with the alignment matching from the front suspension, from the rear suspension, and how this applies to the fuel tank.

In short it looks like the fuel tanks on the two trucks share one crossmember position relative to the rear axle, but the other position is different. Not sure how easy this would be to change, but I expect not easy.

Pictures attached, hopefully they'll be useful to anyone else looking at F-alpha truck part interchanges and the frames.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And a couple of animated gifs...

now if only Nissan had a picture of the CC LWB's frame like this CC SWB frame picture...

Attachments

·
Registered
348 Posts
Pretty cool! I've often thought about an extended range tank. With my work commute, I'm filling up once per week. I know the half tons offer larger tanks. I have a friend with an F150 that has something like a 38 gallon tank. Of course with that you have added weight and such. I just wish we had 6 more gallons. That would be enough for roughly an extra 100 miles.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I believe that frame member that's in the wrong spot on our Frontiers to allow a Titan fuel tank to bolt-in is the 5th crossmember, entry 51050 on the diagrams on Nissan's parts website. Unfortunately pinning-down a specific part number appears to be a challenge, they appear to have changed specific part numbers through the years.

Also now that I think of it, on my CC LWB the fuel tank is positioned forward even though the frame is longer, as the fuel filler neck is not in the wheel opening flare like on the CC SWB trucks. Makes me wonder if there technically are six Frontier frames for any given model year, with differing lengths, crossmember positions, and different crossmembers themselves depending on application:

• King Cab Short Wheelbase 4x2
  • King Cab Short Wheelbase 4x4
  • Crew Cab Short Wheelbase 4x2
  • Crew Cab Short Wheelbase 4x4
  • Crew Cab Long Wheelbase 4x2
  • Crew Cab Long Wheelbase 4x4

If they wanted to use the same fuel tank on each truck using a straight filler neck, then with the King Cab and CC LWB they'd need to position the crossmembers above the fuel tank in a forward position, but on the CC SWB they'd need to push them rearward so that fuel tank ends up closer to the rear axle, with the fuel filler door ending up in the wheel opening flare.

Unfortunately there are not a lot of pictures from this overhead view of these variants. The blue frame in the pictures above appears to be a crew cab short wheelbase truck based on the large cab mounts.

I have to wonder if the real reason they have different crossbar spacing between the Frontier and Titan is to prevent the lower-priced Frontier from cannibalizing Titan sales. No V8 even though they shoehorned it into the Pathfinder, no extended range fuel tank and no easy way to install one, that sort of thing.

·
Premium Member
12,319 Posts
ive always thought the tanks were a decent size relative to others. i wouldnt mind a spare aux 5gal aux tank mounted where my spare was to feed my main tank when it ran out.
but realistically i dont need it.

feel bad for the 6.2 extended cab raptor guys, they only get a 26gal tank. those dudes are at the pump couple times a week.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ive always thought the tanks were a decent size relative to others. i wouldnt mind a spare aux 5gal aux tank mounted where my spare was to feed my main tank when it ran out.
but realistically i dont need it.

feel bad for the 6.2 extended cab raptor guys, they only get a 26gal tank. those dudes are at the pump couple times a week.
When I was under my truck putting the utilitrack bed floor rails in I saw a WHOLE LOT of empty space under my CC LWB without considering moving the spare tire.

I have to admit that I've been thinking about compressed air and how an onboard system could be useful, especially when there's room for an actual tank, like repurposing one of those permanent-mount small LPG tanks into just holding ambient air.

·
Registered
333 Posts
i was looking into weather the rear sections of the exhaust were similar enough to exchange because lifetime 304 stainless is available for the titan + the frontiers get the lowly 400 grade that surface rusts heavily depending where you live!! the OE exhausts have been 400 stainless for a while + they can even rust thru, unlike the 304 grade that as i experienced only discolors after 10 years of salt + snow, of course it costs more so only benefits those in salty snowie states or long time owners!!

·
Premium Member
7,501 Posts
Perhaps the design changed, but someone around here used a 2-in/1-out OEM Titan muffler while ridding themselves of our crimped Y-pipe.

Also, there is a company making a 50 gallon tank for the Titan.
titanfueltanks.com

·
Registered
277 Posts
I get close to 400 miles per tank if I am driving conservatively, but I do live in the country where I am travelling a steady 50 mph a lot.

Reactions: vjmvjm

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Something to bear in mind on the accessories on these frames, it's likely that these frames were specially prepped for these photo shoots and for use at trade shows, so it's possible that neither's exhaust is terribly representative of the actual exhaust used on factory trucks. They look fully chromed on these photos.

That said, the frames are so similar that I would expect that many of their exhaust components would fit the frame of the other without a whole lot of work. The SWB Titan and the LWB Frontier both have wheelbases around 139.8", so those of us with CC LWB Frontiers have the most options for easier use of at least some Titan parts. Any problems with fitment would be most prevalent on the 125.8" or so wheelbase on the KC and CC SWB trucks where you'll have to figure out what section to cut-out, or where the headpipes meet up with the catalytic converters or manifolds.

Looking at the frames I have to wonder if someone could just source a rolled-over Titan, pull the cab and bed off, weld body/bed mounts on for the Frontier CC LWB cab and bed, source the engine and drivetrain wiring harness from a V8 Pathfinder, and built a heavy duty V8 Frontier with all of the best of the Titan goodies. Down the road when these trucks are no longer in production on this chassis that might be a fun project.

·
Registered
333 Posts
i would think diameter would be different, needing a typical catback from the main cats + wheelbase differences they prolly would not fit. manufacturers today are making a lot of things interchangeable on different models to save manufacturing cost + of course increase profits!! a bigger tank would be nice for some but more fuel = more weight, one reason trucks consume more fuel!!

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't think that the extra 126 lb for another 20 gallons would have all that dramatic an effect on a 4500lb vehicle.

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
I have looked into this a couple of times. I think the tanks and frames are close enough. Buy a titan tank. Pull the bed off and start mounting.

The easiest and cheapest way to increase fuel range is to add a 2nd tank to where the spare tire mounts. Many SUVs have tanks that mount to the rear most section of frame rail. Use the in tank fuel pump directly powered to a swtich in the cab (or right at the tank) and "T" the fuel line into the fill tube of the OE tank.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just realized something. These fuel tanks are plastic. I have a friend that used to do plastic-welding for a large integrated circuit manufacturer (ie, precision work that had to hold liquid under pressure versus just unpressurized bumper repair), I should ask him if he could plastic-weld on a fuel tank. He might be able to either modify a Titan fuel tank to fit the Frontier's existing crossmember, or else to take a couple of fuel tanks and make one large one out of a couple of smaller ones. The Titan-mod is probably the safer bet though, since the bottom of the tank might not require any modification at all...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts