Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Works with IntelliTrac! (Another owner had to take his tracks off to install his rack)...

Turns out they are about 20 minutes from my house. It was on sale for $209. FedEx delivered it next day (Saturday) for $35. I will be calling to discuss issues. Despite being assured it would be thouroughly inspected prior to shipment, it was pretty well banged up. I had read parts come unwrapped and arrived scratched and dinged up (not sure if it was this rack or a similar one) but mine was not as I hoped it would be. Parts need to be wrapped in China before shipping here!

Nevertheless, easy, intuitive install- (never opened instrctions!). Just took about an hour all in.

Will need to either fill center (with or without ladder holders) to get it flat for 4' x 8' sheets or will need to remove bars and end-caps to slide off tie downs so it is flat for sheets.

Either way, I am now confident I will have the flexibility to get whatever I need home or to a job site, safely and without risking damage to her.

Apex ATR-RACK from Discount Ramps.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Works with IntelliTrac! (Another owner had to take his tracks off to install his rack)...

Turns out they are about 20 minutes from my house. It was on sale for $209. FedEx delivered it next day (Saturday) for $35. I will be calling to discuss issues. Despite being assured it would be thouroughly inspected prior to shipment, it was pretty well banged up. I had read parts come unwrapped and arrived scratched and dinged up (not sure if it was this rack or a similar one) but mine was not as I hoped it would be.

Nevertheless, easy, intuitive install- (never opened instrctions!). Just took about an hour all in.

Will need to either fill center (with or without ladder holders) to get it flat for 4' x 8' sheets or will need to remove bars and end-capss to slide off tie downs so it is flat for sheets.

Either way, I am now confident I will have the flexibility to get whatever I need home or to a job site, safely and without risking damage to her.

Apex ATR-RACK from Discount Ramps.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Nice, so no need to modify or remove the utilitrack then?

And no holes drilled? Just clamps to hold it down?

I'm looking for a removable option to take 2 or 3 kayaks out occasionally, while still being able to load my bed up. I wasn't finding much in the $200 range, and didn't want to spend $500-800. This looks promising.

·
Registered
23 Posts
So I ordered this rack, Apex ATR. I got it off Amazon, it came out to the same price shipped, but I got it 2 day shipping in Georgia.

I didn't mind it being dinged a little here and there. It is very light, hope the welds hold up. I did have a few of the ladder holder brackets bent to the point I couldn't put the black plastic piece, but with some will and vice grips I got it to a workable state.

I have utilitrack, and I wanted something that I can easily remove, no drilling. I have a kayak I take out at least once a week, but sometimes I have 3, which is the main reason for this (and a trip to FL this month I want to take all 3 down for).

I have not hauled anything, but when I rock it, the whole truck rocks, so that's a good sign.

With the black ladder pieces attached to the brackets I would not be able to pull into my garage without damaging something, I have a pretty standard door.

To get this to work with utilitracks I had to put the J hooks in place, then drop the rack onto them. They were touching the tracks until I started to tighten them, it's hard to see, but all of them have a gap.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just got one of these - the big selling point was keeping my utilitrac rails installed. The instructions stink! How the heck did you guys figure out how to build it? Maybe I should ignore the instructions and just figure it out.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just got one of these - the big selling point was keeping my utilitrac rails installed. The instructions stink! How the heck did you guys figure out how to build it? Maybe I should ignore the instructions and just figure it out.

So I first assembled the racks on the ground, loosely so that I could slide everything to where it needed to be once I had it bolted to the bed. Once I bolted it down I tightened it all up and marked the rack with a sharpie where it all lined up. I did this in the event I take it all apart, now I can put it together from the beginning.

Then “To get this to work with utilitracks I had to put the J hooks in place, then drop the rack onto them. They were touching the tracks until I started to tighten them, it's hard to see, but all of them have a gap.“

It does take some manipulation to get on and off, but it only takes me about 15min now

·
Registered
12 Posts
It did turn out to be pretty simple, once I tossed the directions and laid everything out. A little manipulation here and there and all good. I do believe I'm going to pull the bars and disassemble so I can put the triangle attachments on the outside of the uprights.

So far, these are pretty nice racks, and the price is right.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I second these. I bought them on the strength of this post and Amazon reviews. It came in 2 days and went together in about an hour and a half of fiddling. I spent some time to make sure I got the uprights flush to the crossbar and the ends of the crossbars even on both racks. I tried two different methods: installing the uprights (loosely) and then putting the crossbar on, and then the JCoop method of putting it all together first and then adjusting in place. Not sure there's a benefit either way.

Things to keep in mind:

1.the upright binds pretty easily so keep the nuts loose until you have everything where you want it.

2. The brackets for the uprights don't contact the inside of the rail, so their bearing only on the horizontal surface of the rail. I mucked with this for a bit before I concluded that the J-hooks limit the out-board range. It is what it is; if you're loading enough up there to spread with that much force you're probably over-loaded.

3. The welds don't look gorgeous, but the do look strong.

4. My set up came well packages. The knurled knobs for the lumber brackets had worked loose from one rail in transit, but everything was there and everything small was packed in a box and bags.

5. Throw out the instructions; this is pretty intuitive.

They look great.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
6 Participants
BorrowedSuits
Nissan Frontier Forum
Welcome to our Nissan Frontier Forum! A premier community to share your mods and builds. Chat with like-minded Frontier owners.
Full Forum Listing