Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm helping clean out the garage, which, is a monumental task. I come across my dad's old briefcase, happened to be buried in garage piles since 2003. He passed away in 2000, and he was the last person to open it. My mom said "Oh! I'm not sure but I think there might be a pistol in there!" I'm like "What!? How do you not know?" She tells me she never new for sure and that she didn't know the combination. Then she tells me if there is a gun in there that it now belongs to me. I take a hammer to the locks and pop them open. Surprise! A Colt 1991A1! And I thought I would save up to buy a sidearm. Now all I need is a good shotgun. I'm thinking Benelli but I probably won't uncover one in the garage.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow! Lucky you!
American Rifleman's number one handgun.

AmericanRifleman.org - American Rifleman’s Top 10 Handguns

You did mean 1911 A1 right?
No. "M1991A1". It is a 1911 with a modification that prevents the firing pin from falling if the gun is dropped, thus preventing itself from firing when dropped. That's the only difference between the 1911 and 1991. 1911 'Purists' whine about the mod but I think that's a good improvement, even though you should be slapped for dropping a gun. There are different models of the 1991

This 1991 I have must have been one of the less expensive models, because of its plastic checkered grips and plastic trigger. I plan on swapping those out for rosewood grips and an aluminum trigger.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
No. "M1991A1". It is a 1911 with a modification that prevents the firing pin from falling if the gun is dropped, thus preventing itself from firing when dropped.
Interesting. I was not aware of that. That was probably necessary for sale in states like California. Got pics? :)

·
Registered
257 Posts
The 1911 knockoff I fired was a pleasure to shoot. Congratulations on the find!

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
She's a beut for sure!

I got a Ruger Security Six recently. I've always wanted a wheel gun. I finally got to shoot her last week. I fired a box of .38s to sight her in and a box of .357 once I got her lined up. Recoil wasn't bad at all.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Good deal. Now find yourself some ammo...Ha, I almost literally mean that because it probably won't be at any Walmart or sporting goods store.
yea for sure. I'm waiting for summer quarter to end (Monday) so I can spend some quality time with it. have to share.. when I brought it out of the gun safe to take the pics I posted above, my Mom says let me see it for a minute and I hand it to her. As she aims it at the lamp across the room she goes on to explain how she feel it's important that she go to the range with me to learn how to shoot. I say that's awesome. She goes on to explain that she feels knowing how to use rifles and pistols is important, "in case we find ourselves in a revolution" (referring to exactly what you think she's refering to). I chuckle a bit and say OK we'll go to the range.

I live 10 minutes from Target World, my favorite gun shop in town.

She's a beut for sure!

I got a Ruger Security Six recently. I've always wanted a wheel gun. I finally got to shoot her last week. I fired a box of .38s to sight her in and a box of .357 once I got her lined up. Recoil wasn't bad at all.

Very nice! I have yet to acquire a revolver. Growing my firearm collection happens very, very slowly, and in the case of this Colt 1991, by accident. My grandfather who is turning 79 asked me recently if I wanted any of his guns. I said What guns!? I didn't know he had any... I have yet to look at them but he says he has a shotgun he wants me to have and a 30-06 rifle.

·
Registered
225 Posts
She's a beut for sure!

Nice, I like my Ruger revolvers alot!

·
Banned
6,781 Posts
Very nice!!

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
That appears to be a recent production commercial version by Colt probably made during the 1980's, hence the "Series 80" you see. I doubt it has a "plastic" trigger. Never heard of that except on polymer guns like Glock, etc.

Other improvements in the 1911A1 over the 1911 was an extended beaver tail grip safety to reduce the incidence of the hammer biting the web of the hand when fired. The grip was also modified for a more comfortable grip. The sights were improved. The hammer was changed. The firing pin disconnector which is what prevents the gun from firing if dropped or if the slide isn't all the way forward (in battery).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts