Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a company that will custom build an all aluminum radiator for the 2nd Gen Nissan Frontier.

This would be an alternative option to using the stock radiator, and / or doing the bypass.

So here’s the deal with the radiator for anyone that is interested.

I had them look the radiator in my 2008 Frontier, SE, AT, CC, 6Cyl, LB, Tow.

This should be the same part # for any 06-08 6cyl automatic.

They said that they can build one for the Manual Transmission for the same price. They should be almost the same.

The high price is due to the high cost for the aftermarket core, and because of the complexity of the fabrication involved in matching the stock design.
It would cost even more to invent a new design, and mounting system.

Here is the price breakdown and options.

New 1.5” HP aftermarket core- $500.
8 Hours labor and parts/materials- $675.
Add tranny cooler- $125.
+________
Total $1300.

A person can opt for not adding the tranny cooler, and save $125.

Also, they can build this radiator off of a new OEM stock core for $110. This would save you $400 over the HP aftermarket core. And they usually have the OEM radiators in stock for the cores.

The $1300 radiator would be a stronger overall design. Using thicker than stock, core tube wall thickness, fin thickness, and tank material. And a 1.5” thick core instead of the 1 3/8” thick stock core. And a stronger, larger, and more efficient internal transmission cooler.

Parts and materials include; billet fittings, stock sized radiator cap filler neck, stronger atmosphere controlled furnace brazed cores, reinforced channels / endplates, 5052 aluminum fully hand heli-arc / tig welded tanks, and stock mounting.

The company is Mac’s Radiator in Portland, Oregon. This is where they do all of the custom work for any of their shops.

The guy I spoke with is Sam. He is in charge of the custom weld shop. They are a legit company. And they offer a warranty on all of their products.

Link:

Custom Radiators

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
or for $310 you can buy a new radiator from auto zone. not be be critical of this but for $1300 i can buy 4 normal radiators that come with a limited lifetime warranty. if the same thing happens to this one that happened to the original im sure it would be covered and replaced for free.

·
Registered
9,344 Posts
or for $310 you can buy a new radiator from auto zone. not be be critical of this but for $1300 i can buy 4 normal radiators that come with a limited lifetime warranty. if the same thing happens to this one that happened to the original im sure it would be covered and replaced for free.
I pulled mine out of a junk yard for $75.. .

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
If I buy and install a $1300 radiator what are the benefits?

I can't say that I have every had an overheating problem.

Because you can does not mean you should.:comphead:

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
GB discount?

OP: +1 Thanks for looking into one.

·
Registered
395 Posts
ouch

·
Registered
4,593 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When I first looked into it, it sounded like maybe the first one would cost $800, then a group buy would bring the cost down.

But after they looked at the core, they said that the better quality cores are going to be expensive.

The fabrication for a drop in replacement is going to take a long time, because of the way the stock radiator is designed.

This doesn't allow room for the price to come down.

Yeah it's expensive. No one says you have to buy it.
I might not either. But at least there is an option for a trick radiator.

If I buy and install a $1300 radiator what are the benefits?

I can't say that I have every had an overheating problem.

Because you can does not mean you should.:comphead:
Here's some reading.

Pirate4x4.com - The largest off roading website in the world.

The benifits:

Stronger all around,
more efficient cooling,
stronger/thicker core tubes, stronger/thicker fins,
Stronger, larger and more efficient transmission cooler,
Stronger fittings,
Stronger tanks (thick aluminum, not plastic).
+ They are trick!

Alot of serious 4X4 people actually need these, And they buy them.

Because they cannot afford to have a plastic tank crack when they are out in the middle of no where. And the plastic tanks can and do crack.

These all aluminum radiators will hold up alot better to this type of abuse.

Plus this solves the stock radiator transmission cooler defect. So you can skip doing the bypass.

If you are over the 5 year, or 60K mile warranty. And your radiator leaks into the transmission cooling lines, bye bye transmission.

Then you get to enjoy paying for a new / rebuilt transmission. Plus a radiator.

I read estimates of $4000 for a transmission. Plus labor.

Then you get to put back in the same type of radiator that caused the problem to begin with, since there is no other improved version available.

If you think it isn't happening, ask the service department at your dealership.

Mine told me that they had an 08 come in with this problem. And a number of 05's, and 06's. They had to replace the transmissions.

And that people who were out of warranty, that tried the transmission flush after this problem, were getting 6 months out of their transmissions before they stopped working.

Or check out this link.

Consumer Complaints about Nissan Frontier

8 pages of complaints. I read that there is a class action going on with this as well.

Seems like they should just replace all of them with an improved design. But nobody makes one.

Aluminum Performance Truck Radiator by Mishimoto

I think I could make one of the universals fit for 1/2 the cost...
Good luck with that.

I think it would be alot easier, and cheaper to keep the stock radiator, do the transmission cooling line bypass, and run an external fan cooled, thermostat controlled, transmission cooler instead of the stock one.

GB discount?

Doesn't look like it. They have to custom fab them one at a time. Major time involved. 8 hours per radiator.

OP: +1 Thanks for looking into one.

Nissan told me that the Titan radiator is larger in all dimensions. So I think it would be difficult.

The Stillen radiator is built well though.
Possibly made by be cool.
They were able to use drawn / or stamped tanks. This cuts production costs and time. It allows fast production.

I did call Stillen, and tell them about the deal with the Frontier radiators. And asked them to start making them. If other people call them, and ask, then maybe they will start making them.

They said it was the first that they had heard about it.

Stillen customer service #(800) 891-1058

Stillen Sales & Technical Assistance
Trucks & SUVs (866) 250-5537

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
you can buy aluminum racing radiators from summit all day for less than $300. and im sure they will have one close to the stock dimensions. im sure i can use the extra $1000 i saved to pay myself to make a few simple brackets to mount it up too.

but if i were completely illiterate with the use of hand tools, i guess $1300 is a good deal. :confused:

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
I am thinking that same thing. I know the PNs from Courtesy are different for the Frontier and the Titan. The one thing I think is different thou is the thickness of the radiator. This may cause issues when trying to use the OEM shroud but if you have Efans, you should be good to go. I would just make some kind of mounting bracket for them instead of the push thru style zip tie thingys.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
you can buy aluminum racing radiators from summit all day for less than $300. and im sure they will have one close to the stock dimensions. im sure i can use the extra $1000 i saved to pay myself to make a few simple brackets to mount it up too.

but if i were completely illiterate with the use of hand tools, i guess $1300 is a good deal. :confused:

Unless you were completely illiterate with the use of hand tools, you COULD do alot of things.

Alot of people could custom fit in a different radiator.
Being able to, and actually doing are 2 different things.

You obviously haven't measured that stock core, and tried to find one that is close in size yet.

Be sure to let everyone know what you come up with though.

·
Registered
295 Posts
good golly allmighty

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
why?

Has anyone had cooling trouble with their stock radiator?

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
why?

It hasn't been a cooling issue, but the issue that the transmission cooler built into the radiator fails and allows for cross contamination between radiator and transmission.

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
why?

Not a single issue, even before my Nismo 68*C Thermostat.

I due believe the OP's intention was to correct the transmission cooiling unit failure by having a one off unit made.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts