Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why did Nissan put so much design in the layout of their Rockford Fosgate system (which i think is a good layout) and put these sorry Rockford Fosgate speakers in them? I don't know alot about alot of stuff,but I do know alot about accurate sound reproduction and Nissan didn't get it close on this one. They should listen to the Boston Acoustic system that is in the Jeep and go back to the drawing board. Just a comment. When recording and accurate sound reproduction has been your life I guess I'm spoiled. What does everyone think about the Fosgate system?

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Why did Nissan put so much design in the layout of their Rockford Fosgate system (which i think is a good layout) and put these sorry Rockford Fosgate speakers in them? I don't know alot about alot of stuff,but I do know alot about accurate sound reproduction and Nissan didn't get it close on this one. They should listen to the Boston Acoustic system that is in the Jeep and go back to the drawing board. Just a comment. When recording and accurate sound reproduction has been your life I guess I'm spoiled. What does everyone think about the Fosgate system?
idk about rockfords setup, i have never heard one in a frontier yet

you have plans of going custom?

·
Registered
880 Posts
I thought I read on here once that although it's labeled Rockford, it's actually Clarion products or something. I could be completely wrong on this so don't quote me, but I think it was something along those lines.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I like mine, sounds better than most of the other sound systems that I've heard in other rides. The sub is decent as well, its pretty balanced with all the other speakers, not too gangster-loud

Probably gonna replace the speakers in a few more years when these ones start to get old

·
Super Moderator
11,535 Posts
Nissan put the Bose system in my Pathfinder which sounds very nice. I don't understand why they don't put it in both vehicles.

Clint

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
nothing in the RF system is RF. it was "designed" by RF and marked as RF but NONE of it is RF. the best factory option radio ever offered was the Monsoon system offered by GM. bose sucks just as bad as the RF system. i never suggest someone spending the extra money on the upgraded factory system. you can do 10x better for a lot less money.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is better than basic. I don't like the highs are way to dull (over 1k) The mids are way to harsh (from 1k to 150 hertz) and then when the bass comes in it really starts to disappear under 70 hertz. I don't like it loud just accurate.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Why did Nissan put so much design in the layout of their Rockford Fosgate system (which i think is a good layout) and put these sorry Rockford Fosgate speakers in them?
because they knew people would spend the extra money to get it. its a business after all.

i will never buy a vehicle with the premium stereo because what the suits determine as "premium" might be for john/jane doe who doesnt take pride in how it sounds, but id rather buy speakers that suite my ears. spoil yourself by changing out everything you deem unsatisfactory and learning from the mistake.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I remember pulling the 8in sub on my Titan equipped with the RF system and checking it out. It actually was labeled as being Rockford Foster. Funny chit!

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
my moms stock bose system in her cts sounds great

·
Registered
214 Posts
The bose in my 93 vette blows away the rockfard in my frontier by a long shot. I had a jeep with the boston and it sounded pretty good. Now the bose in my 2000 vette sucks, it just doesn't have any bass what so ever just mids and highs, though you can make it loud as hell. Over all the rockfard isn't that bad, I like it though I bought my truck used so it was an added bonus I guess you could say. For the record the boston seemed a little better than rockfarc but not by much.

·
Registered
854 Posts
The fosgate is definatly better then stock. It doesnt make up for any decent aftermarket system, two tweeters, two dash and 4 doors mixed with a 8'' sub Do make the beatles sing quite sweetly. It doesnt do much justice to lil John and his east side boys :laugh: but then again im not looking to sound like a rattling toolbox...

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
the stock sound system and radio in my truck was complete garbage when it worked.

·
Registered
272 Posts
sort of off topic but what ever... i love watching the adds for the Bose "WAVE" radio they have out there, Bose is advertising that there little POS overpriced alarm clock radio can out perform a whole "ROOM" of audio equipment..... they all must have smoked a lot of crack and ate paint chips as kids over there B/c there is no way that , that is possible. i have herd that radio... its OK nothing i will ever buy , but it amazes me how stupid someone can actually be and buy one to replace what they have now !!! there is alot better out there and for about have the price!!!:laugh:

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
^ i have heard one of those things outside, and it sounded amazing. i didn't know where the music was coming from for a while when i was in someone's back yard and then i saw the little bose thing. i have to say, i was really impressed.

·
Registered
158 Posts
The RF system does not have ANY RF components. I called RF to confirm this. They said they just licensed their name usage and had nothing to do with the design. The speakers are cheap Clarions and the head unit and amp are Panasonic. I've had the door speakers replaced, the head unit replaced 3 times and the amp replaced. Still sounds like shtuff.

·
Registered
40 Posts
My 2010 LE CC came with the LE value truck package which included the RF audio system among many other items. I find the system provides good sound as long as the Mid-range & Treble settings are at the max (+5) and the Bass at +1. The sound is reasonably crisp and clear. The best factory audio system I've had was in my 2002 Lexus ES300 - it had the Mark Levinson system which was really great. Super clean sound at all listening levels and the Bass was just right - no muddy sounds to overtake the mid & highs of the music.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
One thing is for sure. Everyones ear hears it differently! I bought my truck used and got out of my Rocky mountain edition Cherokee and into my LE CC and was like HUH? THe Boston Acoustic isn't JL audio (which they have started making crap too) but sounds ok for stock. But definitly will be looking to replace this RF or Clarion or Panasonic stuff ASAP.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Steve's words on the rockford system:

My truck came used with it so I have no idea how much the rockford option is, I know I wouldnt have ordered it with it because those audio upgrade options are $$$ from the dealer, custom is just the way to go if you're smart with your money and smart with what you're buying and smart with how its getting installed.

Anyhoo, The stock Rockford head unit is nice, I like its layout and overall function and navigation, really quick, easy, etc... works good and simple. The sound quality is quite alright, Sometimes I find the mids a little too over-ruling and treble needs to be cranked, at high volumes it sounds pretty dang good over other high-class from-factory systems I have heard. Loud and rich. I right now have a custom computer installation now consisting of all the factory rockford fosgate kit's speakers installed. I have an autotek 800w 4 channel amp driving the door mids and tweeters, with a wee bit of tuning and volume cranking and EQ adjustments, I've got some dang good comments on how this system sounds with the factory speakers.

I don't like how ear-piercing the dash tweeter's mid-range sounds are, might replace those, but I am happy with the door speaker's performance and rear door's tweeters in combination with an aftermarket amplifier, allows a lot of power and gives a lot of clear and powerful punch. Using the stock head unit of the rockford fosgate system and replacing the factory amp will really bring the system to life, the head unit only supplies a low-level RCA-like output to the amplifier so changing the head unit will not solve your problems unless you eliminate the rockford fosgate amplifier with the changing of your head unit.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts