Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Forgot to mention....pranged my Nav

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  ants_oz 
#1 ·
In mid-December I had a little prang in my Nav. I was up at my sons school - cut a long story short, my version of events is that I was reversing into a parallel parking place, and someone tried to drive in to the spot (forwards) behind me.

Insurance is still in progress - will see how that comes out.

Damage....

Well, I have an ARB rear bar on my Nav and I scratched the powdercoat on the right hand rear corner of the bar!!! Also have a small dent in the lower corner of the guard behind the bar.

Damage to other vehicle (camry).....bonnet peeled back about 18 inches, RH headlight just gone - completely gone, bumper stuffed, RH front guard stuffed.

Oops!

:)

#4 ·
I can't say why the other driver didn't stop - I'm not him.

I didn't see the other vehicle because it was in a blind spot. That explains my input into the collision.

From your comment, can I assume that you have never been involved in a collision involving a motor vehicle? If so, luck you. Unfortunately they do happen, and that is why they are often referred to as "accidents"...I know for sure that I didn't intend to have this collision, therefore I would regard my involvement as "accidental".

What can I say? I'm not perfect. Just another imperfect human being.

#5 ·
Yeah, those nice shiny chrome bumpers are pretty aren't they :) Unfortunately they are made from tin foil with a structural chrome laminate!

Thanks for the thought about the reverse lights. I check all my lights with monotonous regularity, but it's nice to know there is someone else out there as anally retentive as me...

I like the LOOK of the chrome rear bumpers, but for how I use my vehicle - just not strong enough/functional.

Good price on the ARB bar though when I bought it - under $800 (black powdercoat) including the colour coded infil panel (the panel that fills the gap where the factory bumper goes). I think the retail sticker is more like a grand, but a mate of mine runs the store, and I do spend an awful lot of money with them... When you consider the price of a factory bumper (I've heard romours of something like 2 grand???) and that the ARB jobbie also replaces the towbar - not bad value really.

#6 · (Edited)
i wasn't always that particular about things until i started working as a 911 dispatcher 2 months ago.....you look at a lot of things differently once you see that side of the coin. Minimizing your liability is where its at.

You are 100% at fault if you run into the back of someone but if you run into them when they are reversing i'm not sure, should still be the same as you have reverse lights to show that you are backing up. Hope their car insurance has a vision plan so they can get an eye test...cant miss a frontier reversing thats for sure.

i have a local metal supplier bringing me in some 4x6x3/16th square tubing to copy the basic design of Squall Line's bumper..(hope he doesn't mind me linking or copying his setup)

I like the ARB but shipping here is a pain...would cost me probably US$1500 by the time it got here. Would rather build the one above for under $300

http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f10/my-rear-bumper-build-thread-38026/

#8 ·
Lucky you had the rear bar... I reversed into a fence post and it pushed the factory bumper just in to the corner of the right hand panel on the tub. It must have hit the sweet spot because it wrote the hole panel off and required replacement panel. Within an hour of picking it up from the panel shop the new rear bumper came off and the new rear bar went on!

#9 ·
Yeah, I dragged the bum of the ute through a creek crossing and bent up one corner of the factory bumper. Loosened two bolts, stood on the bumper, and it bent back into place.... Says a lot about the lack of strength in the factory bumper - for decoration only really...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.